Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gbear wrote: »
    What kind of PSU would you need for the full fat Vega?

I've a Seasonic Bronze 850W. It'd presumably be grand for the 56 but how about that 450w monster at the high end?

Vega 64 uses 300W for the air cooled one and 350W for the water cooled version. 850W will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

New Zealand reseller has a pre-order up for the Vega 64 which works out at ~€717

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAGBV56401/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-VEGA-64-Silver-8G-HBM2--Air-Coo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »
    New Zealand reseller has a pre-order up for the Vega 64 which works out at ~€717

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAGBV56401/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-VEGA-64-Silver-8G-HBM2--Air-Coo

Is that not extremely expensive, reference model too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is that not extremely expensive, reference model too.

Getting in the mining premium early!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

NZ and AU are nuts crazy for hardware, so I'd hope they're a good bit higher than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Exactly. I'd say around €550 at the most here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Another quote from gibbo at Ocuk,
    "We've also got some new fancy super fast card arriving as well, my guess is you all know what this is, but of course I cannot say, but there will be plenty to go round. :D"

Hopefully that helps the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

game4it70 wrote: »
    Another quote from gibbo at Ocuk,

Hopefully that helps the pricing.

Until some rich miner pre orders their entire stock :D

BloodBath wrote: »
    Until some rich miner pre orders their entire stock :D

I really hope they are not great for mining.Bloody block and backplate is going to set me back 150e so the budget for the actual card is not great.:o :mad:

game4it70 wrote: »
    I really hope they are not great for mining.Bloody block and backplate is going to set me back 150e so the budget for the actual card is not great.:o :mad:

70MHs 'confirmed' by gamersnexus and I'd trust his journalistic integrity in checking sources. It seems that vega is exactly what threadripper is; fast enough in games and stupidly fast in other tasks.

Had to have a laugh when the Titan Xp suddenly got a magic 3x bump in compute via a driver update, some of these companies are trolling and it's not good for the consumer.

• Advertisement

70MHs 'confirmed' by gamersnexus and I'd trust his journalistic integrity in checking sources. It seems that vega is exactly what threadripper is; fast enough in games and stupidly fast in other tasks.

I presume that was for the FE?
    If so we don't know what the rx will do yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Had to have a laugh when the Titan Xp suddenly got a magic 3x bump in compute via a driver update, some of these companies are trolling and it's not good for the consumer.

It just seems really unlikley, since the FE can only hit 35MHs and that int theory, a 64 could only hit 60 based on the memory bandwidth. And that's at 100% efficiency.

RX confirmed at 70MHs - don't forget the various shenanigans with drivers. Still we'll have to wait and see, they've not tested the card yet, just double confirmed the rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The 56 won't be released until September. Is that to push sales of the 64 I wonder?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The 56 won't be released until September. Is that to push sales of the 64 I wonder?

I doubt it but I don't if that makes any sense. I expect the 56 is so close in performance, and the yield of faulty but suitable chips so low that they need to get up and running with the 64 before they start selling a hobbled version for less money - which would have been a perfectly good Vega 64.

I recon the 56 will be a real 1070 killer also and expect so see some pricing movements so again they'll want to capitalise on the 64 before they start a race to the bottom.

So mainly yes but with some fairly good reasons.

Also... miners. Hopefully they'll go with 64s and by the time the 56 comes out people will actually be able to buy one, not in a bundle or over RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hopefully they have a few more than this :P
    On a side note it seems that the Rx56 isn't being released until September :(

TSYhcnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Thats probably the entire stock for the EU and there is probably some chap with a van sitting outside ready to bring them to the airport to go to mining town
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Thats probably the entire stock for the EU and there is probably some chap with a van sitting outside ready to bring them to the airport to go to mining town
    :(

Plenty of people with the cards now, they don't mine at anywhere near the figures claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

hzlpNJN.jpg

Vega leaked benchmarks, VEGA 56 looks promising!

• Advertisement

Deffo a upgrade for my Fury X but will I buy one or won't I that is the question. I'm still happy with my Fury X so who knows....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Generally are you better off waiting for the custom cards to be released? What is the general consensus on reference cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think reference cards are mainly used for water cooling

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Generally are you better off waiting for the custom cards to be released? What is the general consensus on reference cards?
    I think reference cards are mainly used for water cooling

I had a reference R9 290 never again. Don't get me wrong it was an excellent performing card but it sounded like a jet engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had a reference R9 290 never again. Don't get me wrong it was an excellent performing card but it sounded like a jet engine.

Worst reference card ever, no idea what AMD were thinking, it killed interest in their cards stone dead for many people.

Nvidia generally do a decent job with ref coolers - great style, decent performance. AMD = Argos hairdryers and visual panache only a blind person could produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Reference cards are great for sff cases too, as they exhaust heat outta the rear. I've a 1070 reference in my Core V1 & its running sweetly, never really hear it at all

So, Vega reviews are in.

Vega 64 not looking great - sub GTX1080 performance while consuming more power than an overclocked GTX1080Ti!

Vega 56 looking pretty decent, although still generally a little slower than a GTX1070 it's a viable alternative especially with freesync in mind, and hopefully a decent price as well. Does show though that those leaked benchmarks from awhile back were a load of crap.

Be interesting to see prices now. Vega 64 pre-orders were on OCUK for £450 which seems a bit ridiculous as the cheapest GTX1080's are that price and are still much better than the reference Vega 64 in performance and cooler quality. Few reviewers saying that the Vega reference cooler is really loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Vega 56 looking pretty decent, although still generally a little slower than a GTX1070 it's a viable alternative especially with freesync in mind, and hopefully a decent price as well. Does show though that those leaked benchmarks from awhile back were a load of crap.

Looking through the Anand benchmarks, the Vega 56 looks like it beats the 1070 the majority of the time. Especially at 1440p and above where the memory bandwidth gets to flex its muscle.

Probably the funniest scores i've seen are for GTA5 where Nvidia seems to have a huge win, until you look at the 99th Percentile score and shenanigans seem to be afoot.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/14

Actually, I stand totally corrected, just the review I read had it the other way around bizarrely enough - maybe just by remarkable coincidence they were using games that favor Nvidia!

Also saw some issues with Fallout 4 in another review, but I think problems like that will be ironed out quickly enough.

The only problem I see with Vega 56 is that the GTX1070 is now dropping to £340-350 on some sites (like OCUK), but the RRP is $399 for Vega 56.....which could easily end up as €450. Still great though to now have a GPU in that price/performance range compatiable with freesync, the lack of a card like this was really a killer for the tech and for AMD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3020-amd-rx-vega-56-review-undervoltage-hbm-vs-core

Undervolting + 50% power target helps the Vega 56, but it's running into a BIOS hard limit for overclocking.

Advertisement