Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My friend tells me he can tell the difference every time he switches over from his PS4 to my PC (120Hz).

You would notice the difference between a console and PC alright, sure what do they get 30-40fps and then better graphics on PC as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My friend tells me he can tell the difference every time he switches over from his PS4 to my PC (120Hz).

Most PS4 and XB1 games run at 30fps though. Games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, BF1 etc drop to sub 20fps at times even.

F@ck all this anyway. I really wanted the 56 to be great, it is very good but I really don't think we'll get it anywhere near the Recommended Sale Price which kills its strongest advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Apparently MSRP is set to increase by 100 for both cards. Launch price was just for early adopters, apparently.
    https://youtu.be/jyOD0_jrY4M

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_s_rx_64_launch_pricing_was_only_for_early_sales/1

Honestly, they do that and I'm having that 1070 I posted a while back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The ****storm this will bring and the fact that only miners will buy the cards will solve this after a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its laughable really, bring out 2 gpu's that just about compete with nvidia's offerings from over a year ago and price them the same as those gpu's or higher. Imo these cards would make some sense if they where 100 euro less than the 1070 and 1080 but there not.
    Would have been nice to see AMD threaten nvidia somewhat just to get prices back down to sensible levels. Arnt nvidia close to releasing volta anyway?

This all pisses me off as it makes me come across as biased towards nvidia whereas i would much rather support AMD but they just cant seem to compete at the high end anymore. They have zero answers for 1080ti performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Redfox25 wrote: »
    The ****storm this will bring and the fact that only miners will buy the cards will solve this after a week or so.

Depends; if it's higher priced than 1070 but with worse power draw & same mining hashrate, they'll likely stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They are better than the 1070 and 1080 though in proper DX12 titles which are granted still few and far between. The 64 matches 1080ti performance in BF1 in DX12 though. 1 of it's strongest results.

It's impossible to overlook how much they messed this up though. Massive delays, large power draw and underwhelming performance. How did they think adding 100 watts of power consumption for 2-3% or so of performance was a good idea?

I said it before but Polaris seems to have been a much better architecture than this and they could have had 1070 and 1080 beaters out a year ago. A 64CU 4096 stream processor Polaris would have mopped the floor with the 1080 and the Vega 64 with under 300w power consumption.

Heads should be rolling in AMD graphics division over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Anyone know how long it will be before reviews of non-reference cards e.g. Strix cards or whatever the equivalent is? I wonder if we will see much difference in those cards.

I was also wondering/hoping/live in the fantasy realm if the high power consumption an effort to dissuade miners from getting these cards that are designed for gamers and AMD have other (more expensive) cards designed specifically for them that get near the 100MH/s that was claimed pre-release.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it will be before reviews of non-reference cards e.g. Strix cards or whatever the equivalent is?

TTL mentioned that he is currently reviewing an aftermarket Vega and they will be announced on the 18th apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

SickBoy wrote: »
    TTL mentioned that he is currently reviewing an aftermarket Vega and they will be announced on the 18th apparently.

That should reveal a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ireland isn't really great for mining based on this electrical chart

AjVS6P7.jpg

Wow who knew electricity would be so cheap in America. Anyone any reason why that is?

Wow who knew electricity would be so cheap in America. Anyone any reason why that is?

Fuel costs much less there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That graph isn't remotely accurate. You can get energy here for as little as 10-11c per KW/h. One of the cheapest rates in Europe.

I got a promotional email from AMD Radeon Technologies group last night promoting VEGA. Interestingly, the articles they reference talk about the price being at the MSRP, an odd move if they plan to increase it by a 100 USD.

Posted from the email, formatting might be rubbish. Sure lots of others have the email as well to confirm.

Impressions of Radeon™ RX Vega Graphics Cards
    After unveiling our next high-end generation of Radeon graphics cards at SIGGRAPH 2017, we’re excited for the arrival of our Radeon RX Vega graphics cards.

Take a few minutes to see why it’s meant for enthusiast gamers everywhere. Hear what press, fans and gamers are saying about Radeon RX Vega all over the world.

Praises for Radeon RX Vega56 and Radeon RX Vega64

“The fact the RX Vega 56 is also cheaper and faster than the GeForce GTX 1070 means that for around $400, the RX Vega 56 is absolutely where your cash should be going.” -Forbes

“Radeon RX Vega 56 is a solid win and Radeon Vega 64 squares off well versus rival solutions.” -Hot Hardware

“The RX Vega 56 is a more significant victory as it means the GTX 1070 is no longer the fastest card at the $399 price point.” –PC Perspective

“The real story is gaming—holy balls, [RX Vega 56] is doing pretty great at this price.” -Linus Tech Tips

Follow Radeon on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for everything Radeon RX Vega-related. Don’t forget to tag us with your rig with #RXVega!

Are you ready to take your gaming to the next, extreme level?

I’M READY—SHOW ME MORE

Skerries wrote: »

Didn't realize AMD were that stupid.

Didn't realize AMD were that stupid.

Paying for motor tax and a sec+ course this month which has held me back. Nvidia in September for me so

• Advertisement

These comments that AMD are stupid and going Nvidia because of this isn't going to change the fact that these cards will still sell and in large quantities.
    AMD don't care if gamers or miners buy as long as they sell and for as much as is possible.

AMD are not stupid, they might be alienating gamers but that won't impact their bottom line in any way shape or form right now.

I'm sure once this mining craze eases off the price of the cards will return to something more favourable to gamers budgets.

I'm not a hater or Nvidia fanboy, I'm just a disappointed enthusiast :(

/rant

These comments that AMD are stupid and going Nvidia because of this isn't going to change the fact that these cards will still sell and in large quantities.
    AMD don't care if gamers or miners buy as long as they sell and for as much as is possible.

AMD are not stupid, they might be alienating gamers but that won't impact their bottom line in any way shape or form right now.

I'm sure once this mining craze eases off the price of the cards will return to something more favourable to gamers budgets.

/rant

They are not stupid alright if they sell. But me as gamer who is on the fence about buying one is leaning me more towards staying with my Fury X. I will not buy one if I feel they are overpriced. I hope they do sell well for AMD so they can go back to the drawing board like they done with Ryzen and come out hopefully with a fascinating new product in the future.

They are not stupid alright if they sell. But me as gamer who is on the fence about buying one is leaning me more towards staying with my Fury X. I will not buy one if I feel they are overpriced. I hope they do sell well for AMD so they can go back to the drawing board like they done with Ryzen and come out hopefully with a fascinating new product in the future.

I completely agree with you

/rant

I was hoping to get a 56 but It'll be mid September before I get anything. Given the premium being added is a 56 really worth it now? At proposed price point it wasa no brainer but hard to accept it at that potential future price Vs 1070

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was hoping to get a 56 but It'll be mid September before I get anything. Given the premium being added is a 56 really worth it now? At proposed price point it wasa no brainer but hard to accept it at that potential future price Vs 1070

It looks pretty likely that they are not going to be worth it for the foreseeable future. It seems pretty obvious Vega is a compute chip that does ok at games.

Amd have responded to say they will restock at original prices.
    Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Link to this? I thought they hadn't qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, saw that. Unless I'm missing something though they don't actually say anything about pricing, they just say "We're going to restock them" not "We're going to restock them at launch prices".

Advertisement