Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

TTL got to play around with a Asus Strix 64 model but cannot disclose any information on it.

He also lives on an island off the south of England which I never knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I was going with the picture at the bottom of the page linked by Skerries, AMD 64, 499 USD. 

Could be wrong ofc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm not convinced by AMD's statement. They could have very easily put this to bed by stating that the prices would be as originally advertised, if that was indeed the case.

I'm skeptical...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that. Unless I'm missing something though they don't actually say anything about pricing, they just say "We're going to restock them" not "We're going to restock them at launch prices".
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm not convinced by AMD's statement. They could have very easily put this to bed by stating that the prices would be as originally advertised, if that was indeed the case.

I'm skeptical...

Launch prices were achieved because of a listed retail sale price, minus a rebate from the seller. So claiming you will still sell at launch prices could still imply MSRP is not achievable, until they qualify if they will continue offering the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TTL got to play around with a Asus Strix 64 model but cannot disclose any information on it.

He also lives on an island off the south of England which I never knew.

Weird, I saw a review of that earlier today.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Weird, I saw a review of that earlier today.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That's weird he said he was under NDA.

Nah he said on Monday that the NDA would lift on the 18th.
    The reason he didn't give any results for the Strix was he hadn't time to benchmark the reference Vega yet.

These drivers have got to be borked, or else this is ridiculous:

• Advertisement

Some of the youtube reviewers were saying that the drivers they were given wouldn't even allow overclocking and that some of the features were switched off.

Huh.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

RX Vega 56 beating the GTX 1080 FE in benchmarks AND power consumption, once undervolted.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Huh.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

RX Vega 56 beating the GTX 1080 FE in benchmarks AND power consumption, once undervolted.

Yet which begs the question... why is it not standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Launch prices were achieved because of a listed retail sale price, minus a rebate from the seller. So claiming you will still sell at launch prices could still imply MSRP is not achievable, until they qualify if they will continue offering the rebate.

AMD's PR people should be sacked. They turned the Vega launch into a total cluster**** and managed to not only piss off a huge amount of reviewers but fans of the brand as well.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-launch-price-reduction?amp

Article from Amd saying they are trying to get sellers to sell vega at the launch prices.
    Wonder did they do a u turn or was the price hike just due to a shortage of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Redfox25 wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-launch-price-reduction?amp

Article from Amd saying they are trying to get sellers to sell vega at the launch prices.
    Wonder did they do a u turn or was the price hike just due to a shortage of cards

If AMD pull a U-Turn on pricing, that's gonna be right down to the profit margin for them which is not a good place for any of us as AMD being profitable and keeping Nvidia and Intel in check, in very much needed in the PC hardware space.

Pricing for new must have GPU's has always been kinda crazy and if you add the current bitcoin mining craze, prices are going to be mental imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Makes you wonder wtf their engineers have been doing with Vega for the last 2 years. 73w reduction while maintaining boost clocks is insane.

The strangest part is the performance increase. Why is this happening? Are the cards throttling at the higher voltage?

Vega 56 is looking very tempting now if they can keep them around €450-500 for third party cards.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Makes you wonder wtf their engineers have been doing with Vega for the last 2 years. 73w reduction while maintaining boost clocks is insane.

The strangest part is the performance increase. Why is this happening? Are the cards throttling at the higher voltage?

Vega 56 is looking very tempting now if they can keep them around €450-500 for third party cards.

Binning. You take 100 cards and you will get varying results. You could see it on forums for the Fury. Some people undervolting by 80+mv, others not able to undervolt at all. Some run much hotter then others.

Adored in a bit of a strop.

He sums it up well though. He had a few really stroppy videos going back, will have a look for a link later where you could barely understand him due the rage. I like his stuff.

You would hope that who ever had the brainwave of running the Vega launch would be left organising paper clips for the next product launch or making coffee and not let anywhere near the launch.

• Advertisement

Binning. You take 100 cards and you will get varying results. You could see it on forums for the Fury. Some people undervolting by 80+mv, others not able to undervolt at all. Some run much hotter then others.

Well that's why you have different models of cards. The top versions should be the best binned stuff. Sell the lower quality stuff at a cheaper price and lower clock speeds.

I'd expect the third party guys to at least get this part right. AMD never seem to get their own cards right. It's getting silly now how they keep messing up all their card launches.

Start firing people and sort things out before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

BloodBath wrote: »
    Start firing people and sort things out before it's too late.

?

:(

Good point summed up in 1 character :D Their reputation is poor.

If it wasn't for people like us recommending their parts when they are actually good I think their sales would be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wouldn't wish sackings on anyone.

Just sort it out.

No sign of the vega 56 yet, there were rumors that the Asus Rog AIB version was to launch today too. Could be interesting if the price isnt mental.

No sign of the vega 56 yet, there were rumors that the Asus Rog AIB version was to launch today too. Could be interesting if the price isnt mental.

Aren't the base cards the same as the 64? given their lack of supply there this would not surprise me to be delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

£379 on overclockers.co.uk

There is also a PowerColor card there for £389 and the other aib cards are £479, all on pre-order though.

The problem is that the 1070 is £349 and the 1080s start at £469.

Also, apparently mindfactory.de are sold out already, not that it really matters to us anymore but it is just an indication of where this is going.

Edit: And now they are all gone from overclockers. Launched at 2pm our time and apparently all gone by 2.30pm

On the plus side, it looks like the 580 is starting to come into stock again and prices look like they are dropping.

I don't want to be too hopeful but it does seem like the mining bubble is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it was €409 on mindfactory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Venom wrote: »
    If AMD pull a U-Turn on pricing, that's gonna be right down to the profit margin for them which is not a good place for any of us as AMD being profitable and keeping Nvidia and Intel in check, in very much needed in the PC hardware space.

Pricing for new must have GPU's has always been kinda crazy and if you add the current bitcoin mining craze, prices are going to be mental imho.

I doubt is has anything to do with AMD. Retailers have been making excuses for price gouging launch cards since forever.

On that note Overclockers.co.uk have cards on sale for £479.99 right now, Vega 64.

Advertisement