Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I doubt is has anything to do with AMD. Retailers have been making excuses for price gouging launch cards since forever.

On that note Overclockers.co.uk have cards on sale for £479.99 right now, Vega 64.

They were due 300 of them into stock yesterday so they mustn't be selling to well if the powercolor are still in stock.
    The 64' and 56's are overpriced by minimum of 50£ imo.I not surprised though with the prices and low supply of HBM2.The AIB cards are going to be even worse whenever they get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

game4it70 wrote: »
    They were due 300 of them into stock yesterday so they mustn't be selling to well if the powercolor are still in stock.
    The 64' and 56's are overpriced by minimum of 50£ imo.I not surprised though with the prices and low supply of HBM2.The AIB cards are going to be even worse whenever they get released.

£479 @0.92 =€522

RRP was $500

Exchange rates usually don't make much difference as usd figure doesn't include sales tax and we have vat.

Better situation than most launches I remember.

Sorry i should have said that the rrp/sep prices where to high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Sorry i should have said that the rrp/sep prices where to high imo.

Ah that's fair enough. Yeah even though I bought one, for the current performance vs a gtx 1080, it really should be under cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I doubt is has anything to do with AMD. Retailers have been making excuses for price gouging launch cards since forever.

On that note Overclockers.co.uk have cards on sale for £479.99 right now, Vega 64.

The price issue that pissed alot of reviewers off, was due to AMD telling them a RRP price that was a time limited special offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »
    The price issue that pissed alot of reviewers off, was due to AMD telling them a RRP price that was a time limited special offer.

Allegedly. Because a few other large purchasers came out saying that was not the case.

The thing I found funny about that was that no AMD card at the time was selling for MSRP but somehow that's a problem with Vega at launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I dont think AMD said it was a launch price.
    OCUK said this and AMD did give a response a few days later that was wishy washy and then a formal statement a few days later saying they would "ask" retailers to sell them at MSRP but that they couldn't force them to do so.

High prices are just down to low supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I dont think AMD said it was a launch price.
    OCUK said this and AMD did give a response a few days later that was wishy washy and then a formal statement a few days later saying they would "ask" retailers to sell them at MSRP but that they couldn't force them to do so.

High prices are just down to low supply.

Lack of supply and high demand will always shoot up the price of new tech but AMD do have to share a good deal of the blame as well due to their launch pricing screw up.

Venom wrote: »
    Lack of supply and high demand will always shoot up the price of new tech but AMD do have to share a good deal of the blame as well due to their launch pricing screw up.

Agreed

Their PR for this launch and the information about the packs as well was lacking. The packs look good on paper but paying a 100 more for a pack with two free games worth 60 just means your paying more.
    Not sure if the packs with the boards and cpu's were better value or not.

Anyone buy one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Guys, any idea when aftermarket Vega 56 coming out?
    You know, with custom boards (hopefully improved thermals, undervolted or OC'd out of box) and cooler designs with more than 1 fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

raymix wrote: »
    You know, with custom boards (hopefully improved thermals, undervolted or OC'd out of box) and cooler designs with more than 1 fan.

I'm not sure I read a few days ago there was supply issues so maybe that is true or not I don't know. I am also on the fence about getting a non reference either 56 or 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

raymix wrote: »

Its usually a month or two after release, for both AMD and Nvidia. It should be interesting, there are reports that a 56 with a water cooled 64 bios can pretty much match it clock for clock with good cooling.

Its usually a month or two after release, for both AMD and Nvidia. It should be interesting, there are reports that a 56 with a water cooled 64 bios can pretty much match it clock for clock with good cooling.

I've seen people flash the 64WC bios to reference 64 that are on full system water loops and getting good success.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Thank you
    I bought 3 freesync monitors and using rx 480 now (good card tbh). Waited this long, can wait a bit longer.

I received my Vega 56 today.Holy fook its big and heavy.
    So far I have have to system restarts while running benchmarks :mad:

I hope its just the basic Evga 500w psu I'm using with it until I finish sleeving my Corsair 650rm.
    I don't want to try undervolting or messing with the clock until I can see if it passes tests with the 650w.
    There is also what sounds like coil whine coming from the gpu while on desktop too.

I received my Vega 56 today.Holy fook its big and heavy.
    So far I have have to system restarts while running benchmarks :mad:

I hope its just the basic Evga 500w psu I'm using with it until I finish sleeving my Corsair 650rm.
    I don't want to try undervolting or messing with the clock until I can see if it passes tests with the 650w.
    There is also what sounds like coil whine coming from the gpu while on desktop too.

I just read today that coil wine is caused by the PSU. If you have a doubled up PCIe connector do not use it to connect to both 8 pin connections. Use two cables with one plugged into each 8 pin connection.

It solved a guys coil wine problem anyway .

I just read today that coil wine is caused by the PSU. If you have a doubled up PCIe connector do not use it to connect to both 8 pin connections. Use two cables with one plugged into each 8 pin connection.

It solved a guys coil wine problem anyway .

I agree it can help using two cables sometimes.Lots of people say run a benchmark overnight to get rid of coil whine.It never worked for me but since I always run the gpu with a waterblock even a faint coil whine is noticeable.

I'm now using my better psu and no restarts (phew) at all now after run benches for about 40 mins.Still have the coil whine albeit not as loud as I've have on some cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

There's a Vega 64 up on adverts, didn't expect to see one given how scarce they are reported to be

Lu Tze wrote: »
    There's a Vega 64 up on adverts, didn't expect to see one given how scarce they are reported to be

They are not that scare there has been over 10 if not more on overclockers the past few days. Never checked the stock today though.

Lu Tze wrote: »

I saw that and the seller is looker for around 60e more than are on Ocuk/Scan :eek:
    A neck like a jockey's b****x springs to mind.

• Advertisement

Ah ffs my EK waterblock for my Vega 56 is bowed/warped :mad:

More delays for my already to long rebuild :(

Ah ffs my EK waterblock for my Vega 56 is bowed/warped :mad:

More delays for my already to long rebuild :(

That sucks.
    Hopefully, you get it sorted soon enough.

Happy enough with my 64 with the ref cooler, it's yet to ramp up to a loud level of noise but I haven't overclocked it yet.

Supposedly the reference cooler is supposed to be fairly decent. But like any blower setup they probably can get loud if temperatures start to rise.

I am still on the fence about getting one. I am going to America in a few weeks and was going to pick one up but I'm not too sure now. Then another side of me wants to buy a Ryzen and Vega system but I will have to put that on the back foot since this trip to America will eat quite a bit into my funds. I may still get the Ryzen system but it will be late in the year which by then I may as well wait for Ryzen 14nm+. As far as I read they will release a updated Ryzen on the same 14 nm and then the year after Ryzen 2 on I think 7 or 10nm.

That sucks.
    Hopefully, you get it sorted soon enough.

Happy enough with my 64 with the ref cooler, it's yet to ramp up to a loud level of noise but I haven't overclocked it yet.

Thanks,I was surprised at the ref cooler.It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

I didn't clock mine either but with the heat that was coming out of the blowers vents I woundn't dare until it was undervolted.

Thanks,I was surprised at the ref cooler.It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

I didn't clock mine either but with the heat that was coming out of the blowers vents I woundn't dare until it was undervolted.

Im going to leave overclocking until the drivers have matured a bit. I dont think it OC's properly atm, alot of the youtube reviewers were saying something similar at launch.

Im happy with it so far.

Rma accepted by Ocuk already but I asked to see if they would provide a shipping label to save me paying for it.

Edit:
    That was fast by them,got a reply saying shipping label will be provided shortly.
    :D

Rma accepted by Ocuk already but I asked to see if they would provide a shipping label to save me paying for it.

Edit:
    That was fast by them,got a reply saying shipping label will be provided shortly.
    :D

Nice one, must be because it was within 30 days of sending to you.

He got screwed as is usual for us Irish folks. They will not pay for return postage as he is not in the UK.

Taken from the off topic thread :mad:
    Oh dear,now I'm told they can't supply the label as not in the UK.
    An post is 35e for it because of the weight.

Back to the original question,
    Any recommendations who to use please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Taken from the off topic thread :mad:

Talk to your bank and ask is it possible to raise a chargeback.

Advertisement