Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeland EraseXT quad sticks

Options
  • 26-06-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Im thinking of ordering a set of the above, should be Seeland Decoy quad shooting sticks. Anyone using them?

Viperflex look fantastic also but are they worth double the price?

Anyone compared both?

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Haven't used the seeland but just bought the viper flex on Saturday. Went to the range on Sunday 10 shots under the coin at 50 yards with .22. Also shot the KYL target with them. Took me a few goes to do it but I got there. And 5 rabbits between 20 and 100 yards in about 10 minutes on way home. If I didn't have the sticks I'd have only got 2 of them. Very happy with them so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

amadablam wrote: »
    Hi All

Im thinking of ordering a set of the above. Anyone using them?

Viperflex look fantastic also but are they worth double the price?

Anyone compared both?

Thanks!:)

Haven't used them but was looking ar a set of the Seeland in McCarthys in Prosperous a few weeks ago and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Easy to build your own for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

clivej wrote: »

Bloody hell, at €120.00 a set I'm with clivej.......

..... Wild Hunter tripod, homemade quad sticks and homemade- height adjustable
    bi-pod sticks (twin walking sticks bolted together)...... over the years that collection set me back no more than €60.00, each one has a use from fields, hills and forests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Between 30 to 120 quid on flea bay for the exact same thing and model variation,bi,tri or quad minus the brand name.Reckon all this stuff is made in the same factory in China,and it gets a 80% mark up if one production line sticks a brand name sticker on it and the other line doesn't. :)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

clivej wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I made mine for less than €20. Got the poles in Woodies.
    Here is a link how to make them, 1 hour and you will be easily finished.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2Kgmvs_PY
    They work very well except there is no lateral movement at the front of the rifle- to move side to side I must pivot the sticks on one leg - this takes a bit of getting used to.
    In contrast the Viperflex/sealand makes have a horizontal platform at the front to allow sidewards movement.
    If you can live with the lack of sidewards movement i'd suggest making your own set first. (Or pay out for the others)

To add a little more to this topic, as a design engineer myself I think there is a major design flaw with the Sealand sticks. It can be seen at 1.08 minutes on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AdGxrY4DWw
    When the sticks are folded up they pivot up an down so the front rest ends up not being horizontal.
    I made my own set of these (or something similar) and I discovered this first hand - I havent yet figured out how to prevent this.
    It means the following:
    When the sticks are folded up one side can sit higher than the other - not nice as they end up crooked.
    If the sticks are partially opened then they are crooked.
    To get the front rest horizontal, the sticks must be opened fully. Also the sticks can only be opened so far - so if you want to take a lower shot its not easily done - the leg height needs to be adjusted.
    With the DIY job you can open the sticks as far as you need. The down side of this is unless the base of the sticks are firmly planted in the ground (with pointy ends) they can slip, especially on hard ground so something to be aware of.
    The sealand sticks look very good and are finished well so i'm not having a go at them at all.
    Neither solution (sealand or DIY) is perfect - its just a matter for you to decide if you want to spend €20 or €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I reckon that what the Seeland sticks are lacking is just a bit of cord permanently attached between the stock and fore end rests to quickly set up for your rifle. This, with the legs set up for the shooter would make for a very fast and easy deployment. They fold up nicely and are made from high quality and thin aluminium. You can easily hold then in one hand folded up and use them as a walking staff.

...expensive though but a lot more stable than a normal two leg bipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Found a great 3 part video on youtube on how to turn a camera tripod into a shooting tripod.All for about 70 quid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcf-Sfw4GU&list=PLRla7n3MiBhbBfg7P0nk-5WUmETeWrv7x&index=7

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

HW100S wrote: »
    To add a little more to this topic, as a design engineer myself I think there is a major design flaw with the Sealand sticks. It can be seen at 1.08 minutes on this video:
    When the sticks are folded up they pivot up an down so the front rest ends up not being horizontal.
    I made my own set of these (or something similar) and I discovered this first hand - I havent yet figured out how to prevent this.
    It means the following:
    When the sticks are folded up one side can sit higher than the other - not nice as they end up crooked.
    To get the front rest horizontal, the sticks must be opened fully. Also the sticks can only be opened so far - so if you want to take a lower shot its not easily done - the leg height needs to be adjusted.
    With the DIY job you can open the sticks as far as you need. The down side of this is unless the base of the sticks are firmly planted in the ground (with pointy ends) they can slip, especially on hard ground so something to be aware of.
    The sealand sticks look very good and are finished well so i'm not having a go at them at all.
    Neither solution (sealand or DIY) is perfect - its just a matter for you to decide if you want to spend €20 or €120.

The sticks being uneven has never been an issue yet with me, they open straight in seconds, rest the gun on them and they straighten out.

I have a set, made a home made set before but never used them, and these are better because they can be taken apart if you want to easily store them in a vehicle, easy to assemble in under a minute.

I tied a string between the front and back, so when i want to set them up, I open them out and let the front fall forward and its set to the right size of my rifle.

One from a double I shot on my first outing with them, wouldn't have gone near the place only for I had sticks to shoot off, shooting prone or off a rest wasnt possible.
    DSC_0247_zpsosuyc5de.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

HW100S wrote: »
    It means the following:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGprnHZx6NA
    That eliminates that problem with the viper flex, i had the seeland ones before the viper flex , although steady the screws had to be constantly checked as they would come loose. If your on a budget then the seeland will do fine but the viper flex with the go low attachment mean you can take kneeling /sitting shots with them.

garv123 wrote: »

The sticks being uneven has never been an issue yet with me, they open straight in seconds, rest the gun on them and they straighten out.

DSC_0247_zpsosuyc5de.jpg

Well I can't argue you that based on you photo :). Nice animal......(and rifle)

Advertisement