Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphonewarehouse UK - import ?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering if I can buy a phone on the UK carphonewarehouse site & get it delivered by parcel motel ?

There's no import restriction or duty is there ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey just wondering if I can buy a phone on the UK carphonewarehouse site & get it delivered by parcel motel ?

There's no import restriction or duty is there ?

Should be fine. Just make sure 2 things

1. You buy the sim free version
    2. You up the PM cover as the standard is only €100. Only costs a couple of euro to up the cover to 1k for a delivery I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no VAT or duty issues buying a mobile from the UK, might be worth checking Amazon UK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

kceire wrote: »
    1. You buy the sim free version

Make sure it's unlocked. Sim free will lock to the first sim put into the phone.

Make sure it's unlocked. Sim free will lock to the first sim put into the phone.

That's nonsense.

'SIM free' means it was never locked in the first place so you can put any SIM into it because it's 100% your property - you have paid full price for it. It does not 'adopt' the first SIM you put into it and lock itself to that network. With a SIM free phone you can switch networks when the fancy takes you and as often as you like.

I have never had a network locked phone cause I regard them as a rip-off. My current and previous (SIM free, bought from Amazon UK) phones are still operational and although I used an O2 (later 3) SIM in them originally, they both now work with a Vodafone SIM since I switched network last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In the past, CPW-sold "SIM-free" iPhones locked to the network of the first SIM inserted. It's still on their website. Whether they still do this I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the UK CPW website:
    The iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/apple/iphone-7.html#!colour=black&capacity=32GB&dealType=pm

Whether it really does lock to the network of the first SIM and refuses foreign SIMs anymore, I don't know. I've heard of even supposedly locked phones being unlocked. Either way I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

coylemj wrote: »
    That's nonsense.

'SIM free' means it was never locked in the first place so you can put any SIM into it because it's 100% your property - you have paid full price for it. It does not 'adopt' the first SIM you put into it and lock itself to that network. With a SIM free phone you can switch networks when the fancy takes you and as often as you like.

I have never had a network locked phone cause I regard them as a rip-off. My current and previous (SIM free, bought from Amazon UK) phones are still operational and although I used an O2 (later 3) SIM in them originally, they both now work with a Vodafone SIM since I switched network last year.

I'm right as per what Sad Professor posted. I get numerous enquiries about people who bought the phones sim free from CarPhoneWarehouse believing they were unlocked when in fact they were locked to the first sim they put into the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bahdah

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy an iPhone from CarphoneWarehouse when I'm in London this weekend. I just got a reply from them saying they cannot guarantee their handsets will work outside of the UK.
    Has anyone experienced them not working? Or are they covering themselves?

Or would I be better off paying £20 more and getting it from the Apple Store while I'm there?

bahdah wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping to buy an iPhone from CarphoneWarehouse when I'm in London this weekend. I just got a reply from them saying they cannot guarantee their handsets will work outside of the UK.
    Has anyone experienced them not working? Or are they covering themselves?

Or would I be better off paying £20 more and getting it from the Apple Store while I'm there?

Don't risk it. Get it from Apple.

Yeah, I was thinking that alright!

It'll work grand from them? Tried to get onto Support this morning, but it's like Fort Knox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bahdah wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking that alright!

It'll work grand from them? Tried to get onto Support this morning, but it's like Fort Knox

It will work perfect.
    Just buy the factory unlocked version. I have iPhones from the UK and the USA here and all working perfect.

Brilliant!

Thanks so much dudes/dudettes :D

I'm right as per what Sad Professor posted. I get numerous enquiries about people who bought the phones sim free from CarPhoneWarehouse believing they were unlocked when in fact they were locked to the first sim they put into the phones.

If your comment applies to Carphone Warehouse then I accept what you say but CPW was completely incidental to the OP's query which related to tax and duty only. His query could have been about any UK vendor.

Poster kceire said to make sure it was SIM Free, I told the OP to check Amazon. Nobody mentioned that CPW was different to any other UK vendor, then you lobbed in this ....

I'm mystified as to how you expected everyone to interpret that as applying to CPW only.

Advertisement