Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

1123heavy wrote: »
    Yes, also heard from a close friend in Swissport that redundancies are on the cards and a meeting of staff has been called for some time in the coming weeks. He says the staff have known it was a long time coming anyway. The rumours about menzies and BA have been heard too but it's not confirmed yet and swissport are trying to keep it. The biggest surprise for me was American running (or at least planning to do) their own handling from next year, that's another hit for swissport.

Another thing I heard though is that swissport may be getting the qatar contract, apparently when they first started the route they wanted swissport and swissport knew this and so demanded an unreasonable sum ... Qatar buggered off to sky handling.

Hi there,
    I work for Swissport in Dublin.
    We had a meeting yesterday about this we are loosing B.A,B.A city flyer Veuling and Iberia..there is no redundancies that was just rumors and the reason we don’t have Qatar is because we are stretched and if they got it with would of tipped us over the edge because we haven’t the equipment nor staff. Especially in the summer and American are only doing the front of house aka check in that’s it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ax586 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I work for Swissport in Dublin.
    We had a meeting yesterday about this we are loosing B.A,B.A city flyer Veuling and Iberia..there is no redundancies that was just rumors and the reason we don’t have Qatar is because we are stretched and if they got it with would of tipped us over the edge because we haven’t the equipment nor staff. Especially in the summer and American are only doing the front of house aka check in that’s it

Have you missed out on CX?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have you missed out on CX?

Apparently still in talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭trellheim

Do Cathay fly in to Dublin now ? Missed hearing that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

trellheim wrote: »
    Do Cathay fly in to Dublin now ? Missed hearing that one

Starts 2nd June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Just looking at the Cathy flights as I got an email today asking work I consider a two year secondment to HK. There will be chats this week with the Mrs. I can't seem to get a direct return leg though. Just a direct Dublin to Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jude13 wrote: »
    Just looking at the Cathy flights as I got an email today asking work I consider a two year secondment to HK. There will be chats this week with the Mrs. I can't seem to get a direct return leg though. Just a direct Dublin to Hong Kong.

Flights aren't daily, switch around the dates and you should find s direct flight back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

At present the flights are planned to operate from 2 June on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭trellheim

as I got an email today asking work I consider a two year secondment to HK.
    Great place, tons of expats , if you get good accomodation and schools for the kids I'd jump at it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I heard Dnata handling are coming to Dub,that'll be Emirates gone to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Bussywussy wrote: »
    I heard Dnata handling are coming to Dub,that'll be Emirates gone to them.

I can't see swissport, sky handling, Menzies and Dnata all in DUB..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

LXFlyer wrote: »
    At present the flights are planned to operate from 2 June on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays only.

This is great for Dublin and Ireland.
    It should dramatically increase the amount of Chinese tourists to Ireland wanting to take a selfie with a pint Guiness. But as a destination for Irish, Hong Kong is fine for a few days and perhaps a week at the most so perhaps it could be better as a stopover for Aus or trips to Macau and Shenzhen

Their website is showing flights for the weekend at about 900 Euro so not exactly cheap ATM but its saying they will be using the Airbus A350-900 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AoifeOCaa

Miami not showing up for sale from November? is the route going to be scrapped or simply isn't loaded yet?

AoifeOCaa wrote: »
    Miami not showing up for sale from November? is the route going to be scrapped or simply isn't loaded yet?

Probably only deciding schedules now, they planned a freq switch winder but changed back to current one.

Its been a slow start so wouldn't be a total surprise me if they were to go seasonal but feel they will probally give it another try next winter.

Very early to expect things loaded and confirmed for Winter 18/19.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Great place, tons of expats , if you get good accomodation and schools for the kids I'd jump at it ,
    Agreed. I have family there, great quality of life. Very vibrant city with strong ex-pat community.

But they do miss Ireland though, it would be a drop in quality if life for them to cone home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JCX BXC wrote: »

Sure exact timings for Summer 2018 could change yet!

JCX BXC wrote: »

I agree but EI have "removed" it. As I already said it hasn't preformed as well as other new T/A routes which is probally why its been removed while they consider their options. Loads have been shocking at times, if only an A320 could fly the route......

It should do well as you come into summer but suspect there are concerns around this assumption as well. I still think they will probally give it another go for some if not all next winter but it going seasonal is just as likely.

It was always a more risky destination and lack of any feed in MIA is going to play a role. We often hear all new EI T/A routes have been profitable from the start, MIA might be the exception.

Not directly related for TCX failed to make their MAN-MIA service work which operated in summer at 2 weekly. While EI are very different it might give you an idea about the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

I do wonder whether EI could make better use of connectivity to the Caribbean via MIA. Not a massive market for sure, but it could offer a viable alternative for Ireland-based holiday travellers who don't want to go via LGW. MIA is a pretty large AA hub, so sorting out the EI/One World/BA-AA JV relationships would help this. The late arrival into MIA means an overnight in Miami for most Caribbean destinations, but the flip-side is the late departure means you can make the EI/DUB flight from most Islands on the way back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

x567 wrote: »
    I do wonder whether EI could make better use of connectivity to the Caribbean via MIA. Not a massive market for sure, but it could offer a viable alternative for Ireland-based holiday travellers who don't want to go via LGW. MIA is a pretty large AA hub, so sorting out the EI/One World/BA-AA JV relationships would help this. The late arrival into MIA means an overnight in Miami for most Caribbean destinations, but the flip-side is the late departure means you can make the EI/DUB flight from most Islands on the way back...

To my mind EI would have "to pull a major rabbit out of the hat" to make a viable business case to IAG. As they would see a BA connection as the logical means to the Caribbean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

x567 wrote: »

Seem odd that they would not have arranged an interline or codeshare with AA to feed to/from their huge Caribbean and South America network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus has full interline and eticket arrangements with AA (and an awful lot of other airlines)

While the Aer Lingus website will only price with JetBlue, United and BA currently (BA was added for TATL and South Africa as soon as IAG took over) a travel agent should be able to price flights with AA and EI

As it stands today the EI IT could sell tickets to any BA destination via LHR. The IT can handle through check on AA but to price AA could be a big project, which you can trace back to why EI pulled out of OW in the first place, IT costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Do your research if you're ever offered. Very limited school choices post primary, can be very frustrating for a non-working spouse, air quality (esp in Central or TST) very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AoifeOCaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its a beautiful city and relatively unexplored by Irish people I imagine, I think it would do well as a city break type destination for sure. Would have struck as more of a Ryanair route though to be honest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zagreb_Airport

Its interesting, there isn;t much in the way of LCC activity at the airport, no Ryanair, Easyjet or Wizz and only a couple of destinations from Norweigan.

Zagreb is to low yield for EI, Croatian were looking at a DUB service not so long ago. EI operating an extra 3 or 4 weekly next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

does anyone know what happened to the Montpellier route Aer Lingus ran in the summer of 2016? I don't think I saw it running again in 2017 ... was it not profitable enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IrishYamm

So Miami isnt for sale anymore from october ahead but then there is a flight on the 2nd of Nov. Maybe the winter schedule isnt finished yet? Or are they definitely stopping the route as mentioned here

1123heavy wrote: »
    does anyone know what happened to the Montpellier route Aer Lingus ran in the summer of 2016? I don't think I saw it running again in 2017 ... was it not profitable enough?

Its operating this sunmer.

• Advertisement

IrishYamm wrote: »
    So Miami isnt for sale anymore from october ahead but then there is a flight on the 2nd of Nov. Maybe the winter schedule isnt finished yet? Or are they definitely stopping the route as mentioned here

Who mentioned the route is definitely stopping?

Advertisement