Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IrishYamm

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I agree but EI have "removed" it. As I already said it hasn't preformed as well as other new T/A routes which is probally why its been removed while they consider their options. Loads have been shocking at times, if only an A320 could fly the route......

It should do well as you come into summer but suspect there are concerns around this assumption as well. I still think they will probally give it another go for some if not all next winter but it going seasonal is just as likely.

It was always a more risky destination and lack of any feed in MIA is going to play a role. We often hear all new EI T/A routes have been profitable from the start, MIA might be the exception.

Not directly related for TCX failed to make their MAN-MIA service work which operated in summer at 2 weekly. While EI are very different it might give you an idea about the challenge.

Dublin pax 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I reckon growth of 7% this year...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I reckon growth of 7% this year...

31,653,083 for 2018 at 7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Zagreb is to low yield for EI, Croatian were looking at a DUB service not so long ago. EI operating an extra 3 or 4 weekly next summer.

How do you/they arrive at that low yield? So many croatians here now.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its a beautiful city and relatively unexplored by Irish people I imagine, I think it would do well as a city break type destination for sure. Would have struck as more of a Ryanair route though to be honest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zagreb_Airport

Its interesting, there isn;t much in the way of LCC activity at the airport, no Ryanair, Easyjet or Wizz and only a couple of destinations from Norweigan.
    The new terminal only opened last year. It was absolutely tiny before then. Surprised there isn't a dublin route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beersmith wrote: »

They're not big spenders. Perhaps an ideal route for Ryanair or other LCC's if the airports were more open to the idea.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They're not big spenders. Perhaps an ideal route for Ryanair or other LCC's if the airports were more open to the idea.

Don't understand what you mean by not big spenders. They will still travel a few times a year home and also family members would travel to visit. Its a whole lot more expensive taking two flights. Zagreb London is always full and a lot fly onto dublin. Its defined not cheap to do that.

Don't understand what you mean by not big spenders. They will still travel a few times a year home and also family members would travel to visit. Its a whole lot more expensive taking two flights. Zagreb London is always full and a lot fly onto dublin. Its defined not cheap to do that.

There's no yield in those routes, Aer Lingus don't fly to Eastern Europe for the very same reason. Ideal for LCC's, but many won't pay the price of higher cost airlines.

I don't know many Croatians, but the few I do know never/rarely travel home.

Another reason for the lack of air traffic there is the airport management itself, not very open to discussion and new routes and are far more interested in protectionism.

There's no yield in those routes, Aer Lingus don't fly to Eastern Europe for the very same reason. Ideal for LCC's, but many won't pay the price of higher cost airlines.

Another reason for the lack of air traffic there is the airport management itself, not very open to discussion and new routes and are far more interested in protectionism.

Ok I would disagree though. I would understand no yield if there was competition but there is none. No nearby airports with any easy travel options either. I would imagine those that don't travel is because there is no easy way to fly.

I would imagine it's more likely it is because of the 2nd reason you make coupled with probably different airport management and high costs. Zagreb seems to want to protect upmarket airline services.

I would still be adament there would be demand. Not a daily service but twice weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

They're over 10,000 people mostly centred in and around Dublin that have direct ties with Croatia.
    I also recall that for a time in the 1980's, Yugoslavia as it was then was very popular with Irish tourists, with Dubrovnic and Split in the south attracting decent numbers. No reason why this can be rekindled.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Large target market doesn’t always correlate to large demand.
    And high loads doesn’t directly mean good yield.

EI may prefer to add frequencies to a proven profitable route. Their stated goal with long haul is profitable within 6 months of launch. They could now have a similar goal with short haul.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    They're over 10,000 people mostly centred in and around Dublin that have direct ties with Croatia.
    I also recall that for a time in the 1980's, Yugoslavia as it was then was very popular with Irish tourists, with Dubrovnic and Split in the south attracting decent numbers. No reason why this can be rekindled.

Dubrovnik and Split are to this day linked with Dublin, with Aer Lingus operating flights seasonally to both destinations, as well as various charters to all 3 biggest Irish airports.

However, Zagreb does not attract the same market of tourism.

One must also consider that currently a flight to Dubrovnik or Split suffices for the low demand, plenty of people travel from West/South/North of Ireland to Dublin for flights.

Dubrovnik and Split are to this day linked with Dublin, with Aer Lingus operating flights seasonally to both destinations, as well as various charters to all 3 biggest Irish airports.

However, Zagreb does not attract the same market of tourism.

One must also consider that currently a flight to Dubrovnik or Split suffices for the low demand, plenty of people travel from West/South/North of Ireland to Dublin for flights.

I agree with some of your points. Dubrovnik and split don't suffice though. Terrible transport snd your talking 9/10 hours by public transport from osijek to split. Even worse for dubrovnik. The croatians here aren't from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

dnata entering the DUB market, there was speculation they'd be doing handling but seems its just catering
    One of the world's largest air services providers, dnata, has announced the setting up of its newest airline catering facility at Dublin Airport, which will create 60 new jobs.

The company, which prepares more than 320,000 meals every day for more than 190 airlines, is part of the Emirates Group.

Dnata's newest facility will focus on catering for premium, long-haul carriers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0119/934430-new-dnata-jobs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The typical starting yield per passenger on routes to Dubrovnik, Split and Pula would be 150-180 a head plus a lot of on board revenue from sales also generated.

Immigrants are not known to be big spenders and most wouldn't pay 150+ to visit family in Zagreb regularly nor would many Irish do weekend brakes to Zagreb paying such fares. Immigrants also don't return home often enough to sustain such a route and there would be little premium demand where a lot of EI's core routes would see nor any tour operator to block book seats.

Yes they will happily pay 80 quid to visit EE with Ryaniar. Its a route suited to a low cost carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I agree with the low yield comments, I'm sure demand is there but not at the fares Aer Lingus need to charge. Airlines like Ryanair and Wizz could easily make a profit on routes of that nature but Aer Lingus struggles, especially when the competition joins them, 

The complete withdrawal from Eastern Europe by Aer Lingus supports this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,421 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been looking for an easy way to do a city break in ZAG - its somewhere oddly badly served from a pan-European perspective and whatever is causing that is going to add to reasons why nobody flies from DUB.

TRN in Winter is somewhere else I find odd in how crap the service is. Massively wealthy area, no TATL despite some huge TATL companies (Fiat Chrysler for one). EI with good connection times could possibly do very well there.

L1011 wrote: »
    I've been looking for an easy way to do a city break in ZAG - its somewhere oddly badly served from a pan-European perspective and whatever is causing that is going to add to reasons why nobody flies from DUB.

TRN in Winter is somewhere else I find odd in how crap the service is. Massively wealthy area, no TATL despite some huge TATL companies (Fiat Chrysler for one). EI with good connection times could possibly do very well there.

Its because they only recently opened a proper terminal. The previous one was like waterford size. They are quite far behind air transport wise due to the balkan war. A lot of destinations to Germany as a lot work there.

WAT's terminal is so small I was expecting my pint to be delivered in a glass the height of my torso, to match the general Lego Airport theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’ve been told by a BA CSM that EI will be operating BA’s DUB LHR route for summer 2018
    They’ll also be doing LHR AMS
    This is so BA can use their metal to operate the LGW monarch slots they bought or they would lose them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’ve been told by a BA CSM that EI will be operating BA’s DUB LHR route for summer 2018
    They’ll also be doing LHR AMS
    This is so BA can use their metal to operate the LGW monarch slots they bought or they would lose them

Where are they getting the aircraft from to operate this and how many frames are needed to run it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭trellheim

Where are they getting the aircraft from to operate this and how many frames are needed to run it?
    one 320 looks much like another from the inside lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

trellheim wrote: »
    one 320 looks much like another from the inside lol

ok, but not what I asked. How does EI have a spare frame to dedicate to the LHR summer service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ethiopian carries 1 millionth Dublin passenger and AA introduces premium economy on its Philadelphia and Charlotte routes

Marriott betting on Belfast for first Irish opening of AC brand

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/marriott-betting-on-belfast-for-first-irish-opening-of-ac-brand-36511719.html

Title of article link misleading but within it contains interesting news on how well Ethiopian Airlines is performing at DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

One 320 ex S18 BHD as ASL B737 will cover the daily 4 sector sun routes
    The other tbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It’s HAM not AMS is the other route,my phone is fond of typing AMS
    Would 4 planes cover about 8 return journeys on DUB LHR ?
    I don’t know about HAM
    But its IAG that will take the decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

29.6 million passengers in 2017. 11th busiest European airport ...

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-sets-new-passenger-record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From that report, one of the major growth factors and a great help to Aer Lingus expanding transatlantic services :
    The number of passengers transferring at Dublin Airport increased by 35% last year to a record 1.6 million, as the airport continued to strengthen its position as a significant gateway for air travel between Europe and North America.

• Advertisement

If they want to grow connections further there is going to have to be growth on the European network which has been basically stagnant or in slow decline for years.

Advertisement