Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

marno21 wrote: »
    Good to hear. MOL was mentioning it in the Q3 FY18 results but that there was a delay in interconfiguring IT systems.

Does make sense for all parties involved and explains the lack of EI short haul expansion in recent years.

yeah true. Also Ryanair atlantic is now beyond dead in the water! That could result in a massive increase in passenger numbers in dublin. If ryanair can offer new routes, grow existing ones, same with aer lingus. It makes so much sense. Ryanair profits off aer lingus strong point i.e. transatlantic and aer lingus benefits from Ryanair comprehensive short haul network... win / win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Blut2 wrote: »
    Very interesting, are you able to share any of the details? Is it limited to only SH routes EI aren't currently flying themselves?

At the moment all I know is that all routes on the Ryanair network will be able to interline with Aer Lingus, whether they shorten the amount of routes i’m not sure, when it comes in you should be able to book a through flight on the Ryanair website, for example KRK - DUB (Ryanair) - DUB - ORD (Aer Lingus). It will include the normal bag allowances etc that you get on a normal t/a flight with connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah true. Also Ryanair atlantic is now beyond dead in the water! That could result in a massive increase in passenger numbers in dublin. If ryanair can offer new routes, grow existing ones, same with aer lingus. It makes so much sense. Ryanair profits off aer lingus strong point i.e. transatlantic and aer lingus benefits from Ryanair comprehensive short haul network... win / win

Thing is though, I doubt Aer Lingus have a huge amount of spare capacity long haul. They're already doing well, so I'd assume running at 80% loads. In the grand scheme of things, without adding significantly more to the fleet, which isn't currently in the plans then there realistically won't be much growth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

LiamaDelta wrote: »

Thing is though, I doubt Aer Lingus have a huge amount of spare capacity long haul. They're already doing well, so I'd assume running at 80% loads. In the grand scheme of things, without adding significantly more to the fleet, which isn't currently in the plans then there realistically won't be much growth.
    I think they have a few more routes in mind and intend adding quite a few aircraft for ltransatlantic over the next 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

billie1b wrote: »
    At the moment all I know is that all routes on the Ryanair network will be able to interline with Aer Lingus, whether they shorten the amount of routes i’m not sure, when it comes in you should be able to book a through flight on the Ryanair website, for example KRK - DUB (Ryanair) - DUB - ORD (Aer Lingus). It will include the normal bag allowances etc that you get on a normal t/a flight with connections.

Interesting. I'd hope for EI's SH service's sake they don't allow interlining on directly competing Ryanair flights. But otherwise the deal is great. Its a rare area the two airlines have a lot to gain by cooperating on and very little to lose. Should add lots of extra customers for both airlines hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would agree but I would take a punt that if EI have already presented this deal to IAG board and made the point that a few more widebodies their way would take advantage of the influx of connections and thus result in a lot more profit coming from the Irish part of the group.
    The official announcement from EI mentioned 8 A321LRs, but the EI 'future fleet plan' indicated 12 by 2020. Perhaps this is tied into their forecast based on an interline deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

billie1b wrote: »
    It will include the normal bag allowances etc that you get on a normal t/a flight with connections.

Interesting. I wonder how that will affect FR's turnaround times with the need for connecting pax to bag drop etc.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder how that will affect FR's turnaround times with the need for connecting pax to bag drop etc.

From general reporting it seemed that FR wanted the other airline to take the responsibility for baggage etc. so that it would have as little impact on them as possible. I'd imagine they'll have some arrangement whereby bags will be tagged with a special tag and they'll be delivered straight to EI once offloaded and same vice-versa. Though how the whole baggage identification thing will work would be interesting if bags aren't retrieved by the passenger. Are you still required to identify your bag when passing through CBP? They used to show you on a screen and ask you to confirm if it's yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

FR just need to tag the bags to destination, they would need an interline agreement with Aer Lingus

The baggage handling system in Dublin will automatically direct bags to CBP and photograph them.

FR will also have to cough up for the transfer facility in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I was more talking about bag drops at the initial FR served airports as opposed to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Given the current pricing for flights to places like Manchester, EDI, Liverpool in the next few weeks ( 300+ ) for weekends and no rugby or anything in those locations or our end I cannot see why Easy and others arent entering the fray

All the destinations I am looking at are both FR and EI destinations , its mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

trellheim wrote: »
    Given the current pricing for flights to places like Manchester, EDI, Liverpool in the next few weeks ( 300+ ) for weekends and no rugby or anything in those locations or our end I cannot see why Easy and others arent entering the fray

All the destinations I am looking at are both FR and EI destinations , its mental

Easy.

If easy enter, Ryanair will put on extra flights at low prices until they easily make easy leave. Then prices will revert back to normal. Ryanair have done it quite easily to easy and others for many years.

Oh come on then you could just as well say "why dont EI go hourly to Manchester, the moneys there"

Oh come on then you could just as well say "why dont EI go hourly to Manchester, the moneys there"

I assume they're currently making a nice yield for the utalisation they have at the moment, and there's no point offering extra frequency for little gain.

Dunno - look at the airplanes parked up atm how are they yielding anything ( both FR and EI )

Dunno - look at the airplanes parked up atm how are they yielding anything ( both FR and EI )
    Because this time of year it’s cheaper to park planes than fly them half empty or for penny tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Easy.

If easy enter, Ryanair will put on extra flights at low prices until they easily make easy leave. Then prices will revert back to normal. Ryanair have done it quite easily to easy and others for many years.

Would easyjet not be big enoght to take on Ryanair and match Ryanair's fairs if they drop them and match there fairs for as long as it takes or would Ryanair just not blink?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Would easyjet not be big enoght to take on Ryanair and match Ryanair's fairs if they drop them and match there fairs for as long as it takes or would Ryanair just not blink?

They are, but it's probably not worth it, Ryanair are known for their long battles to protect home turf against nearly everyone except Aer Lingus. They'll happily take losses to protect the DUB market from EZY, perhaps too much so.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    I was more talking about bag drops at the initial FR served airports as opposed to Dublin.

I don't think it would make much difference - there's bag drop and check-in, either automated or standard, available for every flight currently anyway. It's very easy for them to add on extra desks if they needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Rawr

I don't think it would make much difference - there's bag drop and check-in, either automated or standard, available for every flight currently anyway. It's very easy for them to add on extra desks if they needed to.

It will be very interesting to see how this will be branded, and marketed.

I'm kind of imagining Aer Lingus advertising their LH product "via Dublin" at the origin of these FR flights, and branding it as a wholly Aer Lingus product.

I'm also imaging a separate Aer Lingus checkin at these airports for the transfer passengers. Thereafter it would be a normal Ryanair flight until they get to DUB.

I could easily be wrong there :)

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see how this will be branded, and marketed.

I'm kind of imagining Aer Lingus advertising their LH product "via Dublin" at the origin of these FR flights, and branding it as a wholly Aer Lingus product.

I'm also imaging a separate Aer Lingus checkin at these airports for the transfer passengers. Thereafter it would be a normal Ryanair flight until they get to DUB.

I could easily be wrong there :)

Depends on the agreement and what each party wants from it, but fwiw I had imagined it the opposite - fully Ryanair branded and marketed, with the booking just having the TA part as 'operated by EI' similar to their agreement with Air Europa at the moment.
    This won't really need Aer Lingus input as they already have their own markets from Europe, and it will be predominantly Europe-originating traffic rather than trying to build a presence in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Rawr

Depends on the agreement and what each party wants from it, but fwiw I had imagined it the opposite - fully Ryanair branded and marketed, with the booking just having the TA part as 'operated by EI' similar to their agreement with Air Europa at the moment.
    This won't really need Aer Lingus input as they already have their own markets from Europe, and it will be predominantly Europe-originating traffic rather than trying to build a presence in the US.

I had wondered if Ryanair would actually brand this as their own product (thus my intrigue). Essentially the long fabled "RyanAtlantic", but in the form of IE inter-lining via DUB.

However my gut feels that their instincts would be to avoid calling it a Ryanair product. Doing so might imply that FR would be responsible for missed connections at DUB, which I feel is something they tend to not want to do.

My feeling is that it might suit them fine for IE to brand and sell the flight packages as an IE product. That way, if the FR flight is delayed or cancelled, it'll be IE that will have take care of the stranded transfer pax. FR will still get seats filled by IE's TATL customers being sent their way.

That's my guess anyway :)

Rawr wrote: »

I had wondered if Ryanair would actually brand this as their own product (thus my intrigue). Essentially the long fabled "RyanAtlantic", but in the form of IE inter-lining via DUB.

However my gut feels that their instincts would be to avoid calling it a Ryanair product. Doing so might imply that FR would be responsible for missed connections at DUB, which I feel is something they tend to not want to do.

My feeling is that it might suit them fine for IE to brand and sell the flight packages as an IE product. That way, if the FR flight is delayed or cancelled, it'll be IE that will have take care of the stranded transfer pax. FR will still get seats filled by IE's TATL customers being sent their way.

That's my guess anyway :)

To be honest I can’t see it being anything other than a industry standard interlining/codeshare arrangement

Locker10a wrote: »
    To be honest I can’t see it being anything other than a industry standard interlining/codeshare arrangement

The nuts and bolts of it yes, but the promotion and marketing of it is what I was surmising over moreso.

I wonder will this be an exclusive agreement, i.e. by Ryanair feeding Aer Lingus, they have agreed not to feed norwegian?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wonder will this be an exclusive agreement, i.e. by Ryanair feeding Aer Lingus, they have agreed not to feed norwegian?

Norwegian ended up partnering up with easyJet, marketed as Worldwide by EasyJet out of LGW

I wish easy jet would come into Dublin and serve gatwick! Even if just to feed routes that norwegian serve and that you could connect to other easy jet destinations and obviously london is a massive destination on its own! Or why arent norwegian flying dublin to gatwick, dublin to london is a massive destination on its own and they can then fly us to destinations they dont serve from dublin...

what I wouldnt give to be able to move from IAG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If Ryanair even had to pull other routes to resource it, you can bet they would be matching timings and undercutting fares if Easy, Jet2 or Wizz even attempted Irish routes again

I wish easy jet would come into Dublin and serve gatwick! Even if just to feed routes that norwegian serve and that you could connect to other easy jet destinations and obviously london is a massive destination on its own! Or why arent norwegian flying dublin to gatwick, dublin to london is a massive destination on its own and they can then fly us to destinations they dont serve from dublin...

what I wouldnt give to be able to move from IAG!
    You could use SkyTeam via Amsterdam for worldwide and European connections and also Star Alliance through Frankfurt or Munich for them same all served frequently from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FR will start Luxembourg (Luxair 10-14 weekly) and Frankfurt (EI/LH 6 daily) lather this year while Athens will return year round apparently.

Advertisement