Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Whoa I wonder who they are trying to force off the FRA route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

wonder if norwegian would fly cork to dublin to also feed routes that they serve from dublin but not cork...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Idbatterim wrote: »
    wonder if norwegian would fly cork to dublin to also feed routes that they serve from dublin but not cork...

No, I can say with confidence that won't happen.

Clutching at straws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »

Nobody will be forced off, AMS/MUC/BRU etc, most will likely largely hold their own but yield will drop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    Probably nobody. Markets such as BCN, AMS, MUC, FRA, BRU etc have all grown a lot over the last 10/15 years. Also Ryanair have been reducing the flights they’ve traditionally have to middle of nowhere airports and redirecting those flights to the main city airports. Frankfurt being a perfect example but also Brussels, Barcelona, Munich and Amsterdam seeing similar trends.
    So Ryanair passengers who’d once have flown to Hahn will now just fly to Frankfurt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

You seem to be obsessed with the idea of getting Cork passengers to go through Dublin airport. :D A spokesman for Norwegian said just last week that “We still have ambitions to launch future new routes from Cork,”. By this, I assume he means future routes to European destinations and possibly Newark. I'm not so sure about Dublin though.

I wonder will this be an exclusive agreement, i.e. by Ryanair feeding Aer Lingus, they have agreed not to feed norwegian?

I'd say, AerLingus and Ryanair will happily work together to thwart Norwegians success. Norwegian are taking market share from EI and pilots from FR.
    I wish easy jet would come into Dublin and serve gatwick! Even if just to feed routes that norwegian serve and that you could connect to other easy jet destinations and obviously london is a massive destination on its own! Or why arent norwegian flying dublin to gatwick, dublin to london is a massive destination on its own and they can then fly us to destinations they dont serve from dublin...

what I wouldnt give to be able to move from IAG!

I would love it too if Easyjet had another stab at the Irish market, particularly Cork. AerFungus and Ryanair don't really have the resources to force them out like they would have in the past.

zetalambda wrote: »
    I wonder will this be an exclusive agreement, i.e. by Ryanair feeding Aer Lingus, they have agreed not to feed norwegian?

I'd say, AerLingus and Ryanair will happily work together to thwart Norwegians success. Norwegian are taking market share from EI and pilots from FR.
    I wish easy jet would come into Dublin and serve gatwick! Even if just to feed routes that norwegian serve and that you could connect to other easy jet destinations and obviously london is a massive destination on its own! Or why arent norwegian flying dublin to gatwick, dublin to london is a massive destination on its own and they can then fly us to destinations they dont serve from dublin...

what I wouldnt give to be able to move from IAG!

I would love it too if Easyjet had another stab at the Irish market, particularly Cork. AerFungus and Ryanair don't really have the resources to force them out like they would have in the past.
    Ryanair are infringing a lot on easyJet territory up in Belfast so who know what the reaction to that could be. All the same EI and especially FR could still easily run easyJet out of town

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ryanair are infringing a lot on easyJet territory up in Belfast so who know what the reaction to that could be. All the same EI and especially FR could still easily run easyJet out of town

I'm not so sure about that. Ryanair and Aer Lingusare both crippled at the moment plus you have Norwegian in the mix too. A good shake up of the Irish airline industry is long overdue and ultimately, it's the customers that will benefit.

I'm not so sure about that. Ryanair and Aer Lingus are both crippled at the moment plus you have Norwegian in the mix too. A good shake up of the Irish airline industry is long overdue and ultimately, it's the customers that will benefit.

It’s the customers who put both major Irish airlines in the ( very good ) positions they are in today.
    I’m not sure what you've been observing but neither Aer Lingus or Ryanair are in any way “crippled” ! I’d actually say both airlines are in one of the best places they’ve ever been, aside from Ryanair’s industrial relations episodes which will be soon resolved I’m sure and has been totally forgotten about by the flying public already

• Advertisement

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

zetalambda wrote:
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Or you could explain why you think they're 'crippled'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    FR will start Luxembourg (Luxair 10-14 weekly) and Frankfurt (EI/LH 6 daily) lather this year while Athens will return year round apparently.

Is this the end of Hahn? I know of a good few people flying with FR (from Kerry also) to Hahn to get to Luxembourg as an alternative to Luxair. They seem to be going to both FRA & LUX individually now rather than the middle of nowhere halfway between them

marno21 wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    FR will start Luxembourg (Luxair 10-14 weekly) and Frankfurt (EI/LH 6 daily) lather this year while Athens will return year round apparently.

Is this the end of Hahn? I know of a good few people flying with FR (from Kerry also) to Hahn to get to Luxembourg as an alternative to Luxair. They seem to be going to both FRA & LUX individually now rather than the middle of nowhere halfway between them
    Yeah I think they are gradually moving away from Hahn. They’re moving aircraft and routes over to Frankfurt and eventually will close the base they have there

LiamaDelta wrote: »

Yeah, maybe when I have nothing better to do. ;) It would be very naive to think that everything is rosy at Ryanair now. I'd imagine they're still hemorrhaging pilots albeit at a slower rate and i don't see how they could run a competitor out of town at the moment when they can hardly find the pilots to fly their current scheduled flights. As far as their reputation is concerned, I'd say a lot of people will think twice about using them. I certainly have no intention of using Ryanair again and the reason is completely to do with that balls up last year. You might get a cheap flight off them for 20 euro but what happens when they cancel the flight 24 hours beforehand? You get stuck paying 250 euro with a competitor, that's what.

And Aer Lingus are just the Bus Eireann of the skies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Can you explain how you think Aer Lingus are the Bus Eireann of the skies?

Both airlines are very successful, turning good profits and expanding steadily. The notion that either are crippled is absurd.

Ryanair, granted have had some issues and are not in the place they were last year, however I don't think this will impact on their performance as massively as you state. Since Ryanair began I've heard countless people say 'never again', yet were flying with them a few months later.

Nothing wrong with Aer Lingus whatsoever, not facing any major issues and are Infact receiving good investment.

LiamaDelta wrote: »

Yeah, maybe when I have nothing better to do. ;) It would be very naive to think that everything is rosy at Ryanair now. I'd imagine they're still hemorrhaging pilots albeit at a slower rate and i don't see how they could run a competitor out of town at the moment when they can hardly find the pilots to fly their current scheduled flights. As far as their reputation is concerned, I'd say a lot of people will think twice about using them. I certainly have no intention of using Ryanair again and the reason is completely to do with that balls up last year. You might get a cheap flight off them for 20 euro but what happens when they cancel the flight 24 hours beforehand? You get stuck paying 250 euro with a competitor, that's what.

Honestly airline passengers have goldfish memory, either that or they are blinded by price and convenience, and will flock to Ryanair in their millions this year again. I’ll bet Ryanair will have another record year for pax this year. People literally don’t care.

Honestly airline passengers have goldfish memory, either that or they are blinded by price and convenience, and will flock to Ryanair in their millions this year again. I’ll bet Ryanair will have another record year for pax this year. People literally don’t care.

They're some sweeping statements you're making about people. :D I can only speak for myself but I certainly don't have a goldfish memory and do care! Maybe you mean specifically Ryanair passengers? They're all scuttered getting on the flights anyway so you might be right there.
    Airline travel is set to double in the next 20 years so every successful airline in the world can expect record passenger numbers and profits during the next 20 years.

More like a public service than a commercial business. ;)

• Advertisement

They're some sweeping statements you're making about people. :D I can only speak for myself but I certainly don't have a goldfish memory and do care! Maybe you mean specifically Ryanair passengers? They're all scuttered getting on the flights anyway so you might be right there.
    Airline travel is set to double in the next 20 years so every successful airline in the world can expect record passenger numbers and profits during the next 20 years.
    It’s less a sweeping statement and more of an observation of 15+ years of people moaning and complaining about Ryanair yet flying with them more and more every year. This year will be no different and I can say with certainty they won’t miss your custom! Plenty more to fill your seat!

You're suggesting that IAG are running Aer Lingus like a public service?

Any elaboration?

Are you sure you’re not living in 1997 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I'm thinking now trolling for the sake of it!

JCX BXC wrote: »

Any elaboration?

Ah jaysus, I've opened a can of worms now! Aer Lingusmight have been bought by IAG but it's probably the same clowns running it. Change of owner, that's all.

mod note: use the airline name or suitable acronym, otherwise the next mod note will be a ban.
    Dissenting opinions are welcome but use facts and logic rather than vague opinions based on history.

It’s less a sweeping statement and more of an observation of 15+ years of people moaning and complaining about Ryanair yet flying with them more and more every year. This year will be no different and I can say with certainty they won’t miss your custom! Plenty more to fill your seat!

Perhaps, I'm not sure really. The last time I flew with them was almost 20 years ago but I still remember it fondly. I missed a return flight from Stanstead by 2 days. I told the check in counter what happened and they put me on the next flight for free. :) I'd never consider to fly with them now though as I explained earlier. You won't see me on a Ryanair plane again until they have first or business class so i'd imagine it's going to be a while!

Any elaboration?

Ah jaysus, I've opened a can of worms now! Aer Lingus might have been bought by IAG but it's probably the same clowns running it. Change of owner, that's all.
    “Probably “ your statement is based on “probably” ??
    Because it seems otherwise
    http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-star-performer-iag-stable-11-6pc-growth/

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/iag-british-airways-profits-strong-financial-performance-2017-iberia-aer-lingus-level-a8224631.html

Any elaboration?

Ah jaysus, I've opened a can of worms now! AerFungus might have been bought by IAG but it's probably the same clowns running it. Change of owner, that's all.
    “Probably “ your statement is based on “probably” ??
    Because it seems otherwise
    http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-star-performer-iag-stable-11-6pc-growth/

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/iag-british-airways-profits-strong-financial-performance-2017-iberia-aer-lingus-level-a8224631.html

Far claim from “bus eireann of the skies”

Far claim from “bus eireann of the skies”

I actually think BE are a decent enough company. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

There's really no point in engaging with someone that has an 'opinion' based on misinformation and disinformation. It's just polite trolling at this stage.

Advertisement