Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Great news! Will it be operated by an A330-200 I wonder? 36 Business and 186 Economy seats in that case.

Full details of times and aircraft in the link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Meanwhile FR havw announced a weekly Dalaman service from June.

Very interesting, first route to Turkey. Lovely region of turkey, was there in 2016. Very good prices too.

Ryanairs longest route from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very interesting, first route to Turkey. Lovely region of turkey, was there in 2016. Very good prices too.

Ryanairs longest route from Dublin?

No, Paphos is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    No, Paphos is longer.

Nice prices now with Ryanair to Dalaman - surely it will only last a couple of days as an introductory offer. For more or less the same days/weeks in August prices are currently about 380 EUR return to Paphos, but just 120 EUR to Dalaman.

No, Paphos is longer.

Ah had forgotten about Cyprus.

Flights earlier were only €80 return, have increased to €129 now but still a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ah had forgotten about Cyprus.

Flights earlier were only €80 return, have increased to €129 now but still a great deal.

I think Oslo to Tenerife is their longest route overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

With Beijing and Hong Kong about to start and the ME3 all now established in Dublin, any speculation as to what the next (non EI) long haul route might be?

Bangkok?
    Tokyo?
    Somewhere in India?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would think Tokyo - Bangkok is too low yield; as are the ones where you would think demographics could play a part - Manila, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

CPT or JNB? Fair bit of traffic every day on the traditional carriers via their hubs (FRA, DXB, CDG, LHR, ADD, AMS, AUH, etc) - not sure it would fill a flight everyday but maybe 3/4 times a week?

Traffic from ZAF can be problematic but could be made to work; ADD does at the moment (most of the time)

I think Oslo to Tenerife is their longest route overall.

Ryanair do have quite a portfolio of routes, am aware there would definitely be some longer than from Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

ozzy jr wrote: »
    With Beijing and Hong Kong about to start and the ME3 all now established in Dublin, any speculation as to what the next (non EI) long haul route might be?

Bangkok?
    Tokyo?
    Somewhere in India?

Norwegian to Canada? They've applied for a Canadian licence (although destinations are unknown).

Norwegian to Canada? They've applied for a Canadian licence (although destinations are unknown).

Motives unknown as usual for Norwegian :)

Very true

I note Dublin Airport have stated on Twitter that tickets will be sold on the Dublin-Edinburgh leg of the journey to Bejjing. Not that I place much faith in what's posted on social media, would this not require 5th freedom rights?

I note Dublin Airport have stated on Twitter that tickets will be sold on the Dublin-Edinburgh leg of the journey to Bejjing. Not that I place much faith in what's posted on social media, would this not require 5th freedom rights?

As far as I am aware, fifth freedom rights were granted (this has been in the works for quite a while).

CPT or JNB? Fair bit of traffic every day on the traditional carriers via their hubs (FRA, DXB, CDG, LHR, ADD, AMS, AUH, etc) - not sure it would fill a flight everyday but maybe 3/4 times a week?

Traffic from ZAF can be problematic but could be made to work; ADD does at the moment (most of the time)

Won’t by South Africa unless it’s EI, SAA is broke big time

As far as I am aware, fifth freedom rights were granted (this has been in the works for quite a while).

Interesting to say the least. Can't imagine too many seats will be available unless they're expecting a slow takeup from Dublin. Would be an interesting short trip!

Interesting to say the least. Can't imagine too many seats will be available unless they're expecting a slow takeup from Dublin. Would be an interesting short trip!

I don't fully understand 5th freedom rules, but I think it may be important. The British Irish visa scheme encorages people to spend time in both countries, hence why they will have people breaking up the trip. So PEK to EDI for a few days, then onto DUB, then back to PEK from DUB or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its what, 7x daily on peak days on EI and I think 3x on FR (Ryanair's site is incredibly slow for me tonight so having to trust skyscanner)

2x weekly really isn't going to impact there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Surely they would be attempting a wow airesque situation, fly to gander/Toronto then refuel and onwards to West coast Cities. There's surely a market there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Surely they would be attempting a wow airesque situation, fly to gander/Toronto then refuel and onwards to West coast Cities. There's surely a market there.

They have more 787s being delivered than they know what to do with, there’s no need for fuel stops.

Also that would be very poor utilization of a narrow body vs using it on east coast or intra Europe. They’ll have the MAX and LRs for East Coast, the 787s for further afield and thicker routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭hynesie08

HTCOne wrote: »
    They have more 787s being delivered than they know what to do with, there’s no need for fuel stops.

Also that would be very poor utilization of a narrow body vs using it on east coast or intra Europe. They’ll have the MAX and LRs for East Coast, the 787s for further afield and thicker routes.

Fair enough, I knew about the MAX'S, but was unaware they had 787s on order as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

With two Chinese flights launching there is definitely room for a Dublin to Sao Paolo or Rio flight. E.g. Dublin-Rio de Janeiro-Sao Paolo-Dublin flight, these is thousands of South Americans in Ireland now and they are badly underserved and flights via LHR,AMS and FRA are really overpriced. IAG dictating to Aer Lingus to serve the US only is really hampering this and Aer Lingus should be flying to South America now.

Doltanian wrote: »
    With two Chinese flights launching there is definitely room for a Dublin to Sao Paolo or Rio flight. E.g. Dublin-Rio de Janeiro-Sao Paolo-Dublin flight, these is thousands of South Americans in Ireland now and they are badly underserved and flights via LHR,AMS and FRA are really overpriced. IAG dictating to Aer Lingus to serve the US only is really hampering this and Aer Lingus should be flying to South America now.

I disagree, what correlation is there between South America and China? Manchester has had a Chinese route for years, yet has never had a route to South America. Using your logic there should definitely be a route to South America from this airport.

Under their own leadership, I very much doubt that Aer Lingus would be even remotely thinking about SA anyway.

Routes from Europe to SA are fairly limited when you look at how much traffic goes to Asia and the US. Most routes to SA (South America) are from Portugal and Spain, where have naturally the largest amount of traffic.

Remember, a personal wish is often not a realistic market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I was looking into Hainans operations at Beijing airport. The only disappointing thing about Hainan operating this route instead of Air China is that Hainan have no where near as expansive a network onwards from Beijing that Air China do. I could be wrong in this but for example, in terms of codeshares I can't see how one could fly Dublin to Australasia with the single stop in Beijing on the one booking. Just in terms of giving another option on this route to the ME3 and Cathay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I disagree, what correlation is there between South America and China? Manchester has had a Chinese route for years, yet has never had a route to South America. Using your logic there should definitely be a route to South America from this airport.

Under their own leadership, I very much doubt that Aer Lingus would be even remotely thinking about SA anyway.

Routes from Europe to SA are fairly limited when you look at how much traffic goes to Asia and the US. Most routes to SA (South America) are from Portugal and Spain, where have naturally the largest amount of traffic.

Remember, a personal wish is often not a realistic market.

The South American aviation market seems massively underdeveloped from the little I know of it, if DUB was in South America it'd be narrowly behind Sao Paolo as the second biggest airport on the whole continent. Rio only had 17m pax last year, Buenos Aires (metro pop. of 13 million) only had 9m pax.

Doubt we'll see a flight any time soon though Turkish mentioned that they were looking at a DUB - MEX flight in the future, presumably when both Mexico & Istanbul's new airports are up and running

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

hynesie08 wrote: »
    HTCOne wrote: »

Fair enough, I knew about the MAX'S, but was unaware they had 787s on order as well.

Norwegian have been flying 787s since like 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I was looking into Hainans operations at Beijing airport. The only disappointing thing about Hainan operating this route instead of Air China is that Hainan have no where near as expansive a network onwards from Beijing that Air China do. I could be wrong in this but for example, in terms of codeshares I can't see how one could fly Dublin to Australasia with the single stop in Beijing on the one booking. Just in terms of giving another option on this route to the ME3 and Cathay
    Maybe a stopover for a day or two in Beijing and then fly out with a different airline. 
    If the price is cheap enough with Hainan, it could be worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Ive actually been looking at flights to BNE recently and the cheapest by far was with Air China via Beijing with a 14hr stopover in PEK. So you arrive in the morning and leave for BNE in the evening and get to spend a day in the city. I wonder if Hainan could compete on price with Air China for such routes.

EDIT: Just checked Hainan's route map and they only fly to BNE from Shenzhen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

Ive actually been looking at flights to BNE recently and the cheapest by far was with Air China via Beijing with a 14hr stopover in PEK. So you arrive in the morning and leave for BNE in the evening and get to spend a day in the city. I wonder if Hainan could compete on price with Air China for such routes.

EDIT: Just checked Hainan's route map and they only fly to BNE from Shenzhen.

Could you
    DUB-PEK via Plane
    PEK-PVG via high speed train 5 hrs
    PVG-BNE via Plane

or
    DUB-PEK via Plane
    PEK-SZX via high speed train 9 hrs
    SZX-BNE via Plane

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement