Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

Won’t by South Africa unless it’s EI, SAA is broke big time

I'm sure I saw Norwegian mentioned in relation to Cape Town around the time they started the US flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

rameire wrote: »
    Could you
    DUB-PEK via Plane
    PEK-PVG via high speed train 5 hrs
    PVG-BNE via Plane

or
    DUB-PEK via Plane
    PEK-SZX via high speed train 9 hrs
    SZX-BNE via Plane

Haha!! That would be an interesting trip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

I noticed that FR stated a DUB-DLM route whicj at 2036 miles which is less that their existingPFO route 2,279 miles.  These routes are equivalent distance to the Canadian maritimes (YYT 2050 miles and YHZ 2,587 miles respectively),  has FR shown any inclination to start flying westwards to Canada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sandbelter wrote: »
    I noticed that FR stated a DUB-DLM route whicj at 2036 miles which is less that their existingPFO route 2,279 miles.  These routes are equivalent distance to the Canadian maritimes (YYT 2050 miles and YHZ 2,587 miles respectively),  has FR shown any inclination to start flying westwards to Canada?

No they have not, at least not under their current model.

Firstly, a low cost model doesn't work particularly well across the Atlantic. Wowair isn't doing amazingly well, Norwegian are doing okay from some airports but are having many issues themselves. And prices, while cheaper than traditional airlines, are still not that cheap.

Strong trade winds thanks to the Atlantic would mean that you'll use a lot more fuel going West than going East. Having payload restrictions wouldn't work well for Ryanair. Plus only flying to St.Johns and Halifax wouldn't offer much of a market.

Without proper long haul aircraft I don't see Ryanair going TATL anytime in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Doltanian wrote: »
    With two Chinese flights launching there is definitely room for a Dublin to Sao Paolo or Rio flight. E.g. Dublin-Rio de Janeiro-Sao Paolo-Dublin flight, these is thousands of South Americans in Ireland now and they are badly underserved and flights via LHR,AMS and FRA are really overpriced. IAG dictating to Aer Lingus to serve the US only is really hampering this and Aer Lingus should be flying to South America now.

Best solution for Dublin-Brazil isn’t direct flights but TAP restarting a DUB-LIS connection, I'm amazed they’ve not returned yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Doltanian wrote: »
    With two Chinese flights launching there is definitely room for a Dublin to Sao Paolo or Rio flight. E.g. Dublin-Rio de Janeiro-Sao Paolo-Dublin flight, these is thousands of South Americans in Ireland now and they are badly underserved and flights via LHR,AMS and FRA are really overpriced. IAG dictating to Aer Lingus to serve the US only is really hampering this and Aer Lingus should be flying to South America now.

Not a hope; a long thin route without any o/d business related traffic of any size. BA can manage a single flight a day to GIG; EI might be able to fill but at very low yields. Lots of connecting traffic through AMS, CDG is to fill empty seats on a plane which is necessitated by business connections.

And I say this despite 6 trips to Rio over last 4 years plus multiple more within the family. Volume doesn’t equal value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

EICVD wrote: »
    Best solution for Dublin-Brazil isn’t direct flights but TAP restarting a DUB-LIS connection, I'm amazed they’ve not returned yet.

Aer Lingus and Ryanair both do that already. Hard market to break into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I know but TAP have so many direct flights to Brazil & South America I’m surprised they don’t fly here just for connections. Look at AMS, KL are well able to compete with EI & FR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Neither sells a connection with TAP so it’s a build your own model with unprotected connections. Can’t see EI getting into bed with TAP given IAG (BA/IB) although TAP offers more destinations for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Doesn’t Ryanair offer codeshare flights to Madrid and to South/Central America?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Doesn’t Ryanair offer codeshare flights to Madrid and to South/Central America?

No they just sell Air Europa's flights on their website without connection.

You can book a flight from Madrid to New York on FR.com but not a connecting flight through Madrid

marno21 wrote: »
    No they just sell Air Europa's flights on their website without connection.

You can book a flight from Madrid to New York on FR.com but not a connecting flight through Madrid

They soon plan to offer connections through Air Europa though, it's in the pipeline.

In regards to TAP, I can't see it happening. While Brazil is well served from Lisbon, it's only Brazil really, and I can't see them even quarter filling an A320 from Dublin with passengers who want to connect to Brazil, and you're not going to steal much of FR or EI's market. Even in the event of this service being offered, most people are extremely price sensitive and would only fly the route if it was the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Would an EI to Moscow be likely when the 321s start to arrive?

ozzy jr wrote: »

Nope, I can't see EI ever going to Russia, and if they wanted to the A321's would have no bearing on it anyway, they can make it on the current shorthaul fleet.

S7's seasonal service is certainly more than adequate for now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I doubt it. Going to a new nation is a bit too sexy for EI, they are very risk averse.
    And a round trip to Moscow is 8 hours flying (plus ground time) I cant really see them tying up what is a T/A aircraft for that length of time.

I think EI have pulled their Latvian, Lithuanian and Polish flights over the last couple of years. (might still do WAW?)

Tenger wrote: »
    I think EI have pulled their Latvian, Lithuanian and Polish flights over the last couple of years. (might still do WAW?)

WAW was cut very recently by EI infact.

Forget EI short haul folks, they’ll fly to the big cities all those unsexy marginal ones will be done with the inter line agreement with Ryanair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They soon plan to offer connections through Air Europa though, it's in the pipeline.

In regards to TAP, I can't see it happening. While Brazil is well served from Lisbon, it's only Brazil really, and I can't see them even quarter filling an A320 from Dublin with passengers who want to connect to Brazil, and you're not going to steal much of FR or EI's market. Even in the event of this service being offered, most people are extremely price sensitive and would only fly the route if it was the cheapest.

Yes, it's in the pipeline but who knows when it'll be activated.

TAP do have a regional airline with smaller regional aircraft but even then I would imagine it's a non runner until Dublin grows even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TUI to add PFO and DLM in 2019 and extra capacity on 6 existing services. 2019 due to go on sale on 5th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    TUI to add PFO and DLM in 2019 and extra capacity on 6 existing services. 2019 due to go on sale on 5th April.

Which services will see a freq increase?

• Advertisement

Would be nice to see a new airline into Dublin.
    Definitely an alternative route to the Far East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

From that Irish times article!

"Apart from Valletta in Malta, Dublin is the only capital in the European Union not served by a regular direct flight from Moscow."

The article is concerning Aeroflot so I guess the ‘capital city’ reference relates to Aeroflot. The article also states that the S7 route was scaled back to seasonal after the GFC in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Idbatterim wrote: »
    From that Irish times article!

"Apart from Valletta in Malta, Dublin is the only capital in the European Union not served by a regular direct flight from Moscow."

You can add LUX to that list also.

Irish times aren't great with the airline related articles. A recent one regarding Ryanair listed Krakow and Lanzarote as new routes from Shannon, which is down to the journalists inability to read a press release :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Perhaps with a visa waiver for Irish people?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

It'll probably needed with all those diplomats being sent home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Noxegon wrote: »
    Perhaps with a visa waiver for Irish people?

Thats the real barrier, paperwork to visit is challenging, tourist isn't so bad, business can be tricky

Everyone needs a visa so I doubt we will get a side deal to avoid this

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

I'm just wondering dosnt the summer schedule usually run from when the clocks go forward until the clock goes back cause this year dublin airport still haven't released their summer 2018 schedule

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering dosnt the summer schedule usually run from when the clocks go forward until the clock goes back cause this year dublin airport still haven't released their summer 2018 schedule

Yes, the summer schedule began last Sunday. Of course some routes don't commence and some frequencies don't upgrade until later in the season.

Advertisement