Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

For some reason they haven't published the schedule on their website the winter one is still up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The airport timetable is generally published a week or two late.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Major FRA disruption tomorrow LH cancel 800 of 1600 flights just in FRA

I am of an age when the Germans didn't do such things !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I heard on good authority the other day that Cathay wont be sending the A350 and that the flight will be operated with the 777 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

I heard on good authority the other day that Cathay wont be sending the A350 and that the flight will be operated with the 777 instead.

If true that must mean they expect the route to perform well, extra 60 seats assuming its the three class 77W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Kev11491 wrote: »
    If true that must mean they expect the route to perform well, extra 60 seats assuming its the three class 77W.

That's exactly what I said when I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The poor spotters will lose their lives :)

Good indication of market however, perhaps the DUB-EDI sector won't be long-lived?

The DUB-EDI is Hainan not Cathay Pacific.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The DUB-EDI is Hainan not Cathay Pacific.

I need to pay more attention don't I :)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I need to pay more attention don't I :)

I do think Hainan will move to a direct service for Dublin, apparently there are fears of it already by some Scots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do think Hainan will move to a direct service for Dublin, apparently there are fears of it already by some Scots.

I can see their reasoning. However as with the Norwegian service out of Cork the local market need to use the service to hope to retain it.

Tenger wrote: »
    I can see their reasoning. However as with the Norwegian service out of Cork the local market need to use the service to hope to retain it.

Aren’t we being a tad previous here??

The service hasn’t even physically launched yet, and will still deliver 2 direct flights in each direction per week for both Dublin & Edinburgh, and 2 indirect per week for each location.

Talk of one leg being dropped even before the flights have physically launched and just after bookings open is a bit much?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Could see both Hainan and Cathay go daily first?

The service hasn’t even physically launched yet, and will still deliver 2 direct flights in each direction per week for both Dublin & Edinburgh, and 2 indirect per week for each location.

Talk of one leg being dropped even before the flights have physically launched and just after bookings open is a bit much?

Apologies, you're right

Service increases before launch are quite normal due to forward bookings. It is not unusual for an airline to launch a route at 2 or 3 per week to announce before launch that due to bookings they are increasing to 4-5-6 per week as a result. I see it all the time on @Airlineroute on twitter, they constantly announce route amendments before launch.

Sure there is a rumour on another topic of Cathay already suggesting they are changing type from a 350 to a 777-300 with an extra 60 seats per flight. The next step is a frequency increase.

So I'd suggest that saying Edinburgh loses a flight or Dublin becomes direct only isn't a bit much and the opposite is also true. The airline will know best as they are the ones looking at the actual bookings and they will be able to see whether more passengers are flying from and to Dublin than Edinburgh and that the preference therefore is direct etc.

Service increases before launch are quite normal due to forward bookings. It is not unusual for an airline to launch a route at 2 or 3 per week to announce before launch that due to bookings they are increasing to 4-5-6 per week as a result. I see it all the time on @Airlineroute on twitter, they constantly announce route amendments before launch.

Sure there is a rumour on another topic of Cathay already suggesting they are changing type from a 350 to a 777-300 with an extra 60 seats per flight. The next step is a frequency increase.

So I'd suggest that saying Edinburgh loses a flight or Dublin becomes direct only isn't a bit much and the opposite is also true. The airline will know best as they are the ones looking at the actual bookings and they will be able to see whether more passengers are flying from and to Dublin than Edinburgh and that the preference therefore is direct etc.

I don’t disagree that plans can and frequently do change. Look at Aer Lingus and Oporto for example.

My point was that in this case the bookings are barely open a week - they’re not going to have a lot of booking data that quickly.

The other post seemed to me to be suggesting that there were rumours they were already considering dropping Edinburgh in favour of Dublin.

I’ve not heard of too many new destinations being dropped barely a week after bookings opened??? Have you?

I’ve not heard of too many new destinations being dropped barely a week after bookings opened??? Have you?

You should follow that twitter account if you don't already. You'd be surprised what airlines do. I agree it doesn't happen often but I've seen it reported on there.

You should follow that twitter account if you don't already. You'd be surprised what airlines do. I agree it doesn't happen often but I've seen it reported on there.

I do follow it but in this context that kind of rumour sounds rather extreme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/278052/etihad-ends-perth-service-in-late-sep-2018/

Etihad ends service to Perth from the end of September, this will surely have a negative effect on their Dublin traffic as the route is popular with Irish expats in Australia, good news for Emirates, Qatar Airways and the new Qantas non-stop to Heathrow because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was just checking ryanair routes, the only direct flight from Dublin to Stockholm is with SAS? Surely ryanair could do decent enough on that route?!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I was just checking ryanair routes, the only direct flight from Dublin to Stockholm is with SAS? Surely ryanair could do decent enough on that route?!

They won't fly to Arlanda, which is pretty much where people want to fly into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Norwegian also fly, both Aer Lingus and Ryanair both scrapped their services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

More likely due to the fact that Easter weekend fell on the last few days in March but still, that's impressive numbers.

At this rate, we'll probably have a new terminal retrofit need in about 10 years down the line assuming there's no economic crash or crisis.

Am I correct saying that the capacity of both terminals is at 35mppa? We'll definitely hit 30m mark this year, possibly 31m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    assuming there's no economic crash or crisis
    Funniest response all day. :D:D
    We're heading full bore into the next one, as if the last one never happened!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-airport-expecting-record-summer-with-14-new-routes-1.3459462

Dublin Airport expecting record summer with 14 new routes
    More than 1.7m extra seats have been added across the airport’s route network

I reckon passengers numbers this year will be 31,500,000 Around 5% growth...
    Am I correct saying that the capacity of both terminals is at 35mppa? We'll definitely hit 30m mark this year, possibly 31m.
    we were just under 30,000,000 last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

is the north American transfers pushing up the numbers much or is it just solid increase across the board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

roadmaster wrote: »
    is the north American transfers pushing up the numbers much or is it just solid increase across the board?

It's up significantly everywhere, with the exception of UK traffic.

The transfers do push the numbers up as they are included twice - as both arriving and departing passengers.

That to me does need to be taken into account when commenting on airport capacity limits.

• Advertisement

The transfers do push the numbers up as they are included twice - as both arriving and departing passengers.

That to me does need to be taken into account when commenting on airport capacity limits.

They are a bum on a seat of a different flight so they need to be recorded as individual passengers.

Why does it need to be taken into account ?

Advertisement