Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    If you're in London City it's pretty easy get to Heathrow where you can fly non-stop to everywhere that you can from Dublin except BDL.

LCY to LHR is surprisingly annoying to do by public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

LCY to LHR is surprisingly annoying to do by public transport.

I think they mean the City of London area of London rather than the airport.

Either way Crossrail will help with that significantly once through running starts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-launches-new-flights-from-dublin-to-london-southend-37005567.html

Well I'm disappointed in this one. I liked Southend. In and out in 10-15 minutes. No hassles. Small airport. Train a 2 minute walk away. Now Ryanair will come in, probably push FlyBe off the route and then jack up the charges.

Suppose they need somewhere to put all those aircraft!!

I think one of the biggest issues now is how crowded the small terminal will be, it’s always been such a small, handy, quick airport to fly through, but the busier and more crowded it gets the less fun and less attractive it will be unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-launches-new-flights-from-dublin-to-london-southend-37005567.html

Well I'm disappointed in this one. I liked Southend. In and out in 10-15 minutes. No hassles. Small airport. Train a 2 minute walk away. Now Ryanair will come in, probably push FlyBe off the route and then jack up the charges.

Suppose they need somewhere to put all those aircraft!!

I wonder if Stobart are looking to move away from the FlyBe franchise to their Southend airport, and happy to concentrate on their airport business there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

flanzer wrote: »
    I wonder if Stobart are looking to move away from the FlyBe franchise to their Southend airport, and happy to concentrate on their airport business there?
    Seems like the Stobart/Flybe franchise was to prove the viability of the airport/routes from the airport and now that they've jumpstarted several destinations Ryanair are happy to jump in.

Runway at SEN is quite short at 1,856m so we may see a 737 MAX 8 based there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

marno21 wrote:
    Runway at SEN is quite short at 1,856m so we may see a 737 MAX 8 based there?

Landing distance is only 1700m so it'll be very tight for the 737!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

well FR are going to base aircraft there its likely they will want to take off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Landing distance is only 1700m so it'll be very tight for the 737!

Can it operate with weight restrictions like LDY does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

It looks like Hainan might be switching to the 787-8. It still shows the flights as being operated by an A330-300 on the Hainan website but the seat map shown when booking is for a 787-8. Google Flights also lists the aircraft type as a 787.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

From July onwards? believe this was the plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Shn99 wrote: »
    From July onwards? believe this was the plan

Where did you see that? I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

VG31 wrote: »
    It looks like Hainan might be switching to the 787-8. It still shows the flights as being operated by an A330-300 on the Hainan website but the seat map shown when booking is for a 787-8. Google Flights also lists the aircraft type as a 787.

B787-9 and B787-8 over July/August. B789 has the same capacity as A333 which returns in September as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/united-airlines-passes-2-7m-passengers-mark-on-dublin-newark-service-1.3533792

Not new route news but good to see UA doing well out of Dublin. It would be great if they launched a direct link to their hub in Houston.  It's the 4th largest city in USA and would be great for Ireland to have a direct link to Texas which is the second most populous state after California.  I wonder are there significant two way volumes between Texas and Ireland?
    I believe one of the factors for Hainan flying direct to Dublin from Beijing was that Dublin was one of the most highly traveled routes from China that previously hadn't a direct link,.  I wonder which US city is the most traveled to or from Dublin that doesn't yet have a direct link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder which US city is the most traveled to or from Dublin that doesn't yet have a direct link?

I'd hazard a guess that its Vegas

Dallas or Minneapolis/St Paul ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'd hazard a guess that its Vegas
    I was going to say that would be my guess too! The conference and entertainment capital of the world. I wrote to Norwegian about this and they replied. Before that I was listening to a podcast of theirs on how they choose new routes. Well suffice to say their reply is bull**** in my opinion, they obviously bang on about seeking the best aircraft utilisation. Well then, how do they fly from a good bit further west to Olso, Copenhagen etc, than from Dublin, which is closer and I would assume has more demand?

They had to change their schedule as with their loadings, using the max seats they can, the aircraft frequently sat on the runway in McCarran, until temperatures dropped enough to let the flight depart safely...

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/11/17/too-hot-fly-norwegian-air-suspends-summer-las-vegas-flights/94025902/

BA, Norwegian, WOW and Virgian fly from London to Vegas, pretty spectacular that there isnt one bloody operator from Dublin, even flying 2-3 times per week. Of course IAG are happy to route us through the UK and hope we use them and not Virgin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Vegas is an easy four hour drive from LAX. I’m doing that one myself in a few weeks time.

I share the wish for a Texas route. I have to go to Austin all the time, and would happily drive from any of the other big cities as an alternative to a connecting flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Vegas is an easy four hour drive from LAX. I’m doing that one myself in a few weeks time.

I share the wish for a Texas route. I have to go to Austin all the time, and would happily drive from any of the other big cities as an alternative to a connecting flight.
    Four hours? It can easily be 7-8 also. By the time you get to car hire place, do all the messing around and drive to Vegas, good luck with 4 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Four hours? It can easily be 7-8 also. By the time you get to car hire place, do all the messing around and drive to Vegas, good luck with 4 hours!

People who fly to Dublin and travel to places like Kerry or Donegal seem to cope.

I think your absoulte want for the route is clouding your judgement slightly.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    People who fly to Dublin and travel to places like Kerry or Donegal seem to cope.

I think your absoulte want for the route is clouding your judgement slightly.

I’m just saying that I wouldn’t fly to la and then drive to Vegas. The current option of a connection is better than that option ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I was going to say that would be my guess too! The conference and entertainment capital of the world. I wrote to Norwegian about this and they replied. Before that I was listening to a podcast of theirs on how they choose new routes. Well suffice to say their reply is bull**** in my opinion, they obviously bang on about seeking the best aircraft utilisation. Well then, how do they fly from a good bit further west to Olso, Copenhagen etc, than from Dublin, which is closer and I would assume has more demand?

They had to change their schedule as with their loadings, using the max seats they can, the aircraft frequently sat on the runway in McCarran, until temperatures dropped enough to let the flight depart safely...

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/11/17/too-hot-fly-norwegian-air-suspends-summer-las-vegas-flights/94025902/

BA, Norwegian, WOW and Virgian fly from London to Vegas, pretty spectacular that there isnt one bloody operator from Dublin, even flying 2-3 times per week. Of course IAG are happy to route us through the UK and hope we use them and not Virgin...

WOW don’t fly from London to Las Vegas.

They fly to Reykjavik.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LXFlyer wrote: »
    WOW don’t fly from London to Las Vegas.

They fly to Reykjavik.

Indeed. If you count London-Las Vegas on Wow you can count Dublin-Las Vegas on Wow.

By that logic AA/EI/BA/UA/DL/AC all fly from Dublin to Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Only did it 2 years ago but the opposite direction, Las Vegas to Long Beach, 4hrs and 8mins it took me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Noxegon wrote: »

Good luck with that!!!

It might be 4 hours at 2am but you have to get out of LA first of all and that will add hours to your journey. Its also a lonnnnnng boring drive. So even a quick 20 min pitstop will break up the journey in Bakersfield. There is a nice Dennys just off the highway. Its an easy 6-7 hour drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It might be 4 hours at 2am but you have to get out of LA first of all and that will add hours to your journey. Its also a lonnnnnng boring drive. So even a quick 20 min pitstop will break up the journey in Bakersfield. There is a nice Dennys just off the highway. Its an easy 6-7 hour drive.

I've done it in a shade over four hours behind the wheel. It was five only because i stopped at Buffalo Bills for a quick ride on Desperado :)

Personally I would much rather deal with LA traffic than a connecting flight in the US. Horses for courses I guess.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"...Houston.  It's the 4th largest city in USA and would be great for Ireland to have a direct link to Texas which is the second most populous state..."  [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether United or EI or ANO I expect this would be a pretty good and viable route from Ireland. Have had some business interactions there recently and have been genuinely surprised at how vibrant, diverse, far sighted and economically connected the city is...[/font]

Security screening in t1 not set up for these record volumes at all. 14 belts and never more than 10 active at any time, recently I've seen down to 7 or 8 in the peak . Result is crowding back through the pass scanners nearly to departures.

Don't believe me ? Take 60 seconds after you go through . Belts 1-4 are almost never in use. this looks primarily like a staffing problem and DAA should be called on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

trellheim wrote: »
    Security screening in t1 not set up for these record volumes at all. 14 belts and never more than 10 active at any time, recently I've seen down to 7 or 8 in the peak . Result is crowding back through the pass scanners nearly to departures.

Don't believe me ? Take 60 seconds after you go through . Belts 1-4 are almost never in use. this looks primarily like a staffing problem and DAA should be called on it.

Agree!

Passenger experience is noticeably worse lately.

Check-in and security queues lately are getting painful. There often seems to be a lack of check-in desks available to airlines or a lack of security lanes open.

DAA need to step it up!

US pre-clearance is a nightmare at times. It's very over-rated. When considering routing options to the US now, I think of pre-clearance as more of a hindrance than a help. I have recently cleared in Seattle, Las Vegas and Dallas - it was a breeze compared to pre-clearing in Dublin.

• Advertisement

US pre-clearance is a nightmare at times. It's very over-rated. When considering routing options to the US now, I think of pre-clearance as more of a hindrance than a help. I have recently cleared in Seattle, Las Vegas and Dallas - it was a breeze compared to pre-clearing in Dublin.
    Totally agree and have been saying this for ages! Pre clearing in dublin, involves allocating an extra hour minimum for the pre clearance! often for some crack of dawn flight, better off without it!

Advertisement