Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

It really depends on where you're flying into in the US. I've had horrendous experiences at immigration in bigger cities like NYC or Chicago in recent years, far longer wait times than I've ever experienced in DUB. The DUB line sometimes appears long at first but it does tend to move comparatively fast in my experience. There are a lot less passengers requiring further/extended screening than would usually be the case at international arrivals in major US airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Totally agree and have been saying this for ages! Pre clearing in dublin, involves allocating an extra hour minimum for the pre clearance! often for some crack of dawn flight, better off without it!

The one thing I'll say for it is it makes onward connections straightforward.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I use DUB preclearance about 6 times a year. I’ve never had to wait more than 40mins or so (I haven’t used it in the last couple of months since peak summer kicked off).

I flew LHR-LAX a few years ago and waited 4 hours between customs and immigration in LA. I’ve spent about the same in MIA. It all depends on when your DUB flight lands in the states but if you land without preclearance in Kennedy and park beside a 380, good luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

HTCOne wrote: »
    I use DUB preclearance about 6 times a year. I’ve never had to wait more than 40mins or so (I haven’t used it in the last couple of months since peak summer kicked off).

I flew LHR-LAX a few years ago and waited 4 hours between customs and immigration in LA. I’ve spent about the same in MIA. It all depends on when your DUB flight lands in the states but if you land without preclearance in Kennedy and park beside a 380, good luck....

Similar experience after landing on a flight from heathrow, parked beside a china southern a380 which had unloaded before us, 2 and a half hour wait in security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I went through preclearance the end of May, went through around 8am and it was fine. Did the machine upstairs to get my receipt, went downstairs, maybe a 5 minute wait to put stuff through the xray again, and maybe 10 minutes waiting for an available desk to get put through. Saved me ages compared to trying to get through on the other side and make my connection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I flew to Washington last month on a Saturday and only had a less than 10 minute wait through Immigration in DUB. It was mid afternoon so I believe most of the US flights had already departed so that might explain the efficiency.  I notice as well that if your ESTA has already been used at least once within the 2 year valid period, you are directed to a faster track self service queue before final clearance.  My friend on a flight last year was a first time ESTA user so had to go to a different queue while I passed through quickly and was able to enjoy a pint post clearance while he barely made the final call for the plane even though we both started at the US security clearance at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

KevR wrote: »
    US pre-clearance is a nightmare at times. It's very over-rated. When considering routing options to the US now, I think of pre-clearance as more of a hindrance than a help. I have recently cleared in Seattle, Las Vegas and Dallas - it was a breeze compared to pre-clearing in Dublin.

When I flew to the states regularly on business I always went through Heathrow, I've had some right pain in the hole times at immigration over there, and that was before the current existing security situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Norwegian is to fly its first ever route from Europe to Canada – and it’ll be out of Dublin from March 31, 2019.

The new daily service will between Dublin and Toronto Hamilton, with fares starting from €189 one way fro today on www.norwegian.com/ie.

The nonstop flights from Dublin to Hamilton – Toronto will be operated using brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft offering 189 seats in a single-class cabin.

http://www.travelextra.ie/norwegian-launching-first-ever-services-to-canada-out-of-dublin-airport/

Is there enough demand to support 4 airlines flying direct between Dublin and Toronto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Another link to Toronto? Overkill. 

Norwegian seems oblivious to yield, going after already very well served markets is asking for trouble when you're already in such a weak position. Best of luck to them but I'm starting to lose patience with their route choices especially for an increasingly overcrowded Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

TAP AIR PORTUGAL possibly announcing Dublin for 2019
    http://www.presstur.com/mercados/tap-vai-crescer-oito-destinos-por-ano-nos-proximos-cinco-anos--antonoaldo-neves-ceo-3/

Should Aer Lingus see this as a threat? (Big brazilian community who will connect through Lisbon). Also Ryanair on the route... is there enough traffics for everyone?

Plenty of traffic on Lisbon, it’s booming at the minute and fares can be ridiculous so TAP would be very welcome on the route. The potential for onward connections to South America is something neither Aer Lingus or Ryanair can offer so will be an advantage for TAP at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Plenty of traffic on Lisbon, it’s booming at the minute and fares can be ridiculous so TAP would be very welcome on the route. The potential for onward connections to South America is something neither Aer Lingus or Ryanair can offer so will be an advantage for TAP at least.

It will also make places like Madeira and the Azores accessible from Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

VG31 wrote: »
    It will also make places like Madeira and the Azores accessible from Ireland.

Is that actually an announcement? Looks more like a “we’re thinking about this” to me.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Noxegon wrote: »
    Is that actually an announcement? Looks more like a “we’re thinking about this” to me.

It's not a proper announcement, and in essence means very little. They said they'll do it, just not when and any other details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've found flying through Lisbon with an unprotected connection the handiest way to get to South America a couple of times. If TAP have a flight from Dublin thats well timed for onward connections to the major Brasilian airports they could do well with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Kcormahs wrote: »
    TAP AIR PORTUGAL announcing Dublin for 2019
    http://www.presstur.com/mercados/tap-vai-crescer-oito-destinos-por-ano-nos-proximos-cinco-anos--antonoaldo-neves-ceo-3/

Should Aer Lingus see this as a threat? (Big brazilian community who will connect through Lisbon). Also Ryanair on the route... is there enough traffics for everyone?

They would like to add 5 destinations “like” “como”, I.e. such as. That’s not a route announcement.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/04/06/ethiopian-airlines-dreamliners-fly-chicago/492394002/

Does anyone know if you can fly from DUB to Chicago with Ethiopian or is it just a refuel stop only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/04/06/ethiopian-airlines-dreamliners-fly-chicago/492394002/

Does anyone know if you can fly from DUB to Chicago with Ethiopian or is it just a refuel stop only?

Refuel one way only. Only Ethiopian flight that picks up and goes both ways is to LAX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Any expected expansion on the short haul market for Aer Lingus in 2019?

I’m sure there will be but the trend over the last few years has seen one or two new routes coupled with major increases in frequencies on current, popular routes. The days of 8 or 10 new routes every summer appear to be gone, even Ryanair has naturally slowed in that respect but Aer Lingus in particular has reached a peak of what it can do with the an all A320 fleet on Europe. A CSeries/Embraer E2 type aircraft would enable some new markets to be explored within Europe but that doesn’t seem likely at IAG right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The other option would be to allow Stobart to operate some of the "thinner" routes with Embraer or similar, but the problem then would be the various long standing agreements in place that prevent that sort of move being made, if it were to be even suggested, the howls of indignation from the Unions would be heard in London, let alone here, and Willie Walsh will be well aware of that minefield.

There are some routes being operated by ATR's now that could benefit from something slightly larger, and with more bag capacity, but there's nothing in the EI fleet that would fit that need at the moment, and introducing such a machine would be a major problem for a single type operator,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Given the sizeable Brazilian community living here, I'm really surprised there is still no sign of a direct flight from Dublin to São Paulo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Idbatterim wrote: »

"The number of passengers on domestic flights grew by 45% in June, with almost 12,000 passengers taking flights within the Republic of Ireland last month."

That is a massive increase was there a change in flight times for some of the domestic flights in the last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Is Dublin - Brazil the new Dublin - Las Vegas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

"The number of passengers on domestic flights grew by 45% in June, with almost 12,000 passengers taking flights within the Republic of Ireland last month."

That is a massive increase was there a change in flight times for some of the domestic flights in the last year?

If my maths are correct then domestic passengers made up an incredibly tiny 0.004% of total passengers. Almost meaningless. So a large percentage increase could be 2 extra ATRs a day and a slightly higher load factor.

As for the Brazil flights. I would imagine that the majority of potential customers on that route would be extremely price sensitive and thus it would be very low yielding. What would the potential of business customers or cargo be? If that was strong then I could see a case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wasn't extra ATRs, there was a capacity increase from -42 to -72 on KIR. Same number of flights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry was upsized from an ATR 42 to an ATR 72 this year giving 50% extra capacity on that route, which will explain some of it

Advertisement