Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

Wonder what the load figures are since this route opened?

It's full or over booked pretty much every flight can easily see it being 6 times a week or daily next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I know Turkish Airlines were keen on a Mexico City route so Aer Lingus could get in before them and possibly use this as a springboard. Dublin-Mexico City- Panama City could be an interesting

Panama??? Wouldn’t be on any likely list I’d come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure if they have official announced as I think it was only added in the last week or two.

Ex DUB 04.55, 08.25, 11.50 14.00 (new), 17.50
    Ex FRA 06.35, 09.50, 12.10 (new), 16.10, 21.30

That’s a great spread of flights, which when added to their Munich flights and SWISS to Geneva and Zurich gives a lot of possible connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Direct Brazilian or South African flights would be a nightmare for the carrier ... trust me; plus for the benefit of everyone else in the airport, if either came to pass they’d want to arrive outside of any busy period and to a deserted Pier 3 preferably.

Panama City (not likely) but Customs would be all over that everyday!

KL went from nothing to 500 seats a day in each direction plus they overnight crew in Dublin: as does LH; so both have invested in Dublin so to speak.

Can’t see Aer Lingus so much at all beyond building a European Transfer busy through Dublin to the States. New Transfer facility opening very soon which will mean from getting off first flight to being at Gate for next one will be 10 to 15 minutes for a Pier 4 tin pier 4 Transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The most likely options would be one of the big indian airports like mumbai or tokyo in my opinion. China would have been very likely but now is comparitively well served. Bangkok is a distinct possibility as well given all the consistent holiday traffic to that part of the world, but perhaps this ship has sailed with a lot of the middle eastern carriers doing this route via their hubs.

I can see Rio or Sao Paolo being offered from Dublin at some point in the next ten to fifteen years, given the massive and growing brazilian population in addition to the potential business and tourist community. Good hubs for onward travel to santiago, ba or lima etc. Think it's a bit soon yet and couldn't see it being Aer Lingus. Cape Town or Joburg would be an earner at least on a seasonal basis but this might be too soon as well. I know Turkish Airlines were keen on a Mexico City route so Aer Lingus could get in before them and possibly use this as a springboard. Dublin-Mexico City- Panama City could be an interesting one.

Mumbai or Tokyo most likely in my opinion.

Can't understand why EI never looks at flying east like BKK, HKG etc. I flew BKK with EK and said I'd never do it again, going direct is always best IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I would personally love something direct into Mumbai and Cairo.

The sub continent I can understand, but why Cairo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The sub continent I can understand, but why Cairo?

I fly there a few times a year and I am sick of transferring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Personally I'd love to see EI (or indeed anyone else) take a single aircraft and use it to test the water for a range of once-weekly services ex-DUB – with the option to scale some of them up over time if they worked.

To name just a few possibilities – Cairo, Kiev, St Petersburg, Sarajevo.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Noxegon wrote: »
    Personally I'd love to see EI (or indeed anyone else) take a single aircraft and use it to test the water for a range of once-weekly services ex-DUB – with the option to scale some of them up over time if they worked.

Is the problem not that for the hub model you need regular frequencies so once a day won’t really give you a glimpse into the potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kiev and St Petersburg? If we could start with a proper route to Moscow! Sarajevo I cannot see happening, Cairo would be interesting but imo Sharm El Sheikh would be picked before Cairo would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Kiev and St Petersburg? If we could start with a proper route to moscow! Sarajevo I cannot see happening, Cairo would be interesting but imo Sharm El Sheikh would be picked before Cairo would.

The Irish Times published an article a few months ago stating that Aeroflot were planning to start a route to Moscow. They'd have the advantage on onward connections to Russia/Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Dublin already has a Moscow service and has done for a few years now with S7 Airlines. Russia isn’t the easiest place to visit, you need a visa first and their economy is pretty shaky at the moment, easyJet failed on its London and Manchester to Moscow service not too long ago leaving just BA and Aeroflot on the route. I don’t think Aer Lingus would be interested in Russia.

As for Egypt, its reputation as a safe holiday destination suffered terribly a few years back, everyone shifted to Spain and Portugal and I don’t think much has changed. If there is demand, the tour operators can snap it up.

Kiev is growing in popularity, both Ryanair and Wizz are in a dogfight for market share in Ukraine with new bases announced by both. Ryanair is most likely to add Kiev from Dublin if it happens.

Dublin already has a Moscow service and has done for a few years now with S7 Airlines. .

Awareness is remarkably low, fares look quick ouch at a glance and it's only seasonal, hence the word proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Kiev is growing in popularity, both Ryanair and Wizz are in a dogfight for market share in Ukraine with new bases announced by both. Ryanair is most likely to add Kiev from Dublin if it happens.

UIA have Dublin as a likely future destination for 2020.

https://www.kyivpost.com/business/uia-launch-new-flights-within-five-years.html
    Dublin already has a Moscow service and has done for a few years now with S7 Airlines.

I'm hoping to visit Russia in the future but there's no way I'll be taking S7 since they are very expensive and the DUB-DME flight is overnight which means probably paying for a hotel room for an extra night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I've always wondered why this isn't done for long haul. I'm sure the likes of Bangkok, S.Africa and maybe a Caribbean route once or twice could work well for EI.

Tel Aviv is another one which I think would have potential.

Cuba is also grown in popularity with tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

IE 222 wrote: »
    I've always wondered why this isn't done for long haul. I'm sure the likes of Bangkok, S.Africa and maybe a Caribbean route once or twice could work well for EI.

Tel Aviv is another one which I think would have potential.

Cuba is also grown in popularity with tourists.

Ive noticed that Eurowings are doing a CGN to BKK a few times a week. This is new territory for them being the LCC arm of Lufthansa. From what I hear, eurowings are having financial troubles but long haul for an LCC is a brave move all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not worthy of it's own thread.

Do the westjet crews overnight in DUB? It's only a 4 hour flight so was wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Do the westjet crews overnight in DUB? It's only a 4 hour flight so was wondering.

The crew start in Toronto I think, so longer than 4 hours. I'm 99% sure they overnight here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The crew start in Toronto I think, so longer than 4 hours. I'm 99% sure they overnight here.

They 100% overnight in LGW so I’d imagine they do in Gatwick too, isn’t there overnight rule not just about hours flown but also time zones crossed ? Or maybe I’m mixed up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't think they overnight, the start finish in St Johns and different crew operate to/from YYZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

They overnight in Dublin, see them everyday coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Laudamotion starting 1 weekly flights to Innsbruck from December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Laudamotion starting 1 weekly flights to Innsbruck from December.

great news! do you have a link? assuming its a saturday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Idbatterim wrote: »
    great news! do you have a link? assuming its a saturday...

Its up for booking now every Saturday. Its like the flight to Vienna, very little press!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Apparently the Dublin-Miami route has been very successful since the summer IATA started and the route is staying for next year (it was believed it would be scrapped or go seasonal by some members here due to the weak loads at the Beginning). Have aer lingus signed any deal with the cruise lines in Miami or Fort Laudradale to keep the route busier? I believe there still no agreement with AA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Apparently the Dublin-Miami route has been very successful since the summer IATA started and the route is staying for next year (it was believed it would be scrapped or go seasonal by some members here due to the weak loads at the Beginning). Have aer lingus signed any deal with the cruise lines in Miami or Fort Laudradale to keep the route busier? I believe there still no agreement with AA?

I flew it last year and pretty much everyone on board appeared to be talking about catching up with a cruise ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair has issued letters of protective notice to more than 300 staff as it announced plans to cut its Dublin- based fleet by 20% for the winter months.

The airline said it plans to cut its Dublin-based fleet of aircraft from 30 to around 24.

It said it has issued letters of protective notice to over 100 pilots and over 200 cabin crew employees, whose services may not be required from 28 October onwards.

The airline said the moves come on the back of the rapid growth of its Polish charter airline, Ryanair Sun, along with a downturn in bookings and airfares in Ireland.

It said this was "partly as a result of recent rolling strikes by Irish pilots, which has had a negative effect on high fare bookings and forward air fares as consumer confidence in the reliability of our Irish flight schedules has been disturbed".

Ryanair said it will be offering transfers to Poland and possibly some other bases to the Dublin-based pilots and cabin crew employees for Winter 2018 in order to minimise any redundancies.

Ryanair's COO Peter Bellew said the airline regretted the base aircraft reductions at Dublin for winter 2018.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0725/980917-ryanair-dublin-cuts/
    The Kremlin’s aviation regulator, Rosaviatsia, has issued a decree granting permission for Aeroflot’s low-cost subsidiary to start flying a new direct service from Moscow to Dublin.

Pobeda, Aeroflot’s budget airline, will initially fly four times a week from the Russian capital to Dublin, according to filings published yesterday on the regulator’s website.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/kremlin-clears-aeroflot-s-budget-carrier-for-moscow-dublin-route-1.3575373

Will this reduction in base size result in route cuts, or will routes simply operate from other bases?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Will this reduction in base size result in route cuts, or will routes simply operate from other bases?

Good question. If this is a solely 'revenge' move from management (which I am inclined to believe it is) then it would be likely that they will just operate the flights in reverse order, unless destinations don't have a base there, in which case they won't cut those flights, only high frequency ones to the UK/Germany/Italy/Spain where aircraft can be deployed easily. Moving 6 aircraft is not difficult for them, and is painless compared to the satisfaction they'll get of making the pilots on strike redundant.

• Advertisement

There is normally a reduction in frequency and routes over the winter with a few parked up, I wouldn’t imagine this is more than that again but dressed up as revenge which is just ridiculous behaviour by Ryanair if it was.

Advertisement