Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

If this is a solely 'revenge' move from management (which I am inclined to believe it is)
    It is my opinion that the strike itself is "revenge" by the union for past "sins" so, tit-for-tat :)

Just wondering what would be the possibility that easyJet would be watching this reduction in fleet very closely and maybe considering "taking up the slack" at Dublin and get a foot in the door where they failed before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Mebuntu wrote: »
    It is my opinion that the strike itself is "revenge" by the union for past "sins" so, tit-for-tat :)

Just wondering what would be the possibility that easyJet would be watching this reduction in fleet very closely and maybe considering "taking up the slack" at Dublin and get a foot in the door where they failed before?
    They didn’t fail as such. Why bother entering a war you know u won’t win? Now with he unions with the foot in the door in Ryanair and the consequences of it, I hope they make another stab at Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Does anything know what the FR cuts are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Does anything know what the FR cuts are?

Won’t be cuts, will just be operated from other bases. (Ie.. instead of DUB-MAD-DUB; will be operated by a MAD crew, MAD-DUB-MAD)

Can’t see them going ahead with this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Son of a bitch

Would a direct flight (via Lisbon) to Sao Paolo sell well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Would a direct flight (via Lisbon) to Sao Paolo sell well?

It wouldn't be a direct flight if it went via Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Brazilian community here will generally fly on whoever is cheapest, so TAP (only realistic operator for that) would be competing with Lufthansa, Air France, BA and Iberia etc.

There is some business travel but not enough, the Brazilian economy is not recovering well from their crash.
    Pat Dunne wrote: »

Under the perverse definition of 'direct' in commercial aviation, if it was the same airframe and same code it would be 'direct'. I flew on a EWR-IAH-PDX "direct" that a customer service agent booked in preference to looking for a connection (over ORD probably) as she didn't even realise it didn't mean non-stop, and she worked for the sodding airline!

Yes it would.

Non stop is self explanatory.

Direct means going there without having to change planes.

All, non-stop flights by definition are direct but not all direct flights are non-stop.. The definition of direct means it has the same crew, mostly same passengers and flight number etc

For example, the train from Dublin to Galway is still considered to be direct (despite it making stops). Just so you know :)

The flight from Dublin to Beijing will operate four times per week (two of which are stopping in Edinburgh on the way), it is still considered a direct flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yes it would.

Non stop is self explanatory.

Direct means going there without having to change planes.

All, non-stop flights by definition are direct but not all direct flights are non-stop.. The definition of direct means it has the same crew, mostly same passengers and flight number etc

For example, the train from Dublin to Galway is still considered to be direct (despite it making stops). Just so you know :)

The flight from Dublin to Beijing will operate four times per week (two of which are stopping in Edinburgh on the way), it is still considered a direct flight.
    Sure each to their own, however I wouldn't consider it direct.

Sure each to their own, however I wouldn't consider it direct.

You can have your own opinions but you cannot have your own facts :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

« A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which INCLUDES one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).[1] A stop may either be to get new passengers (or allow some to disembark) or a technical stop over (i.e., for refuelling). Direct flights are often confused with non-stop flights, which are flights involving no intermediate stops.[2] When there is a change in flight number, the subsequent flight is referred to as a connecting flight. »

So it still wouldn’t be a direct flight as it would be a different flight number and aircraft.

I also personally hate the aviation industries smudging of these lines. In my opinion direct is from A to B with no stops or changes at all. Non stop is also the exact same. Anything else in my opinion is just lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yeah, for me this is like airlines excitedly announcing new routes – when that same city pairing has been served by competitors for years and/or that same city pairing was served by the same airline previously then cancelled.

Recent examples of both from Dublin are Aer Lingus' new route to Philadelphia (served by US Airways for years) and Ryanair's new route to Marrakech (served by Ryanair in the past).

I accept that it is the terminology, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Etihad down to single 77W daily after 15 January. It's the morning rotation that's being kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

So it still wouldn’t be a direct flight as it would be a different flight number and aircraft.

I also personally hate the aviation industries smudging of these lines. In my opinion direct is from A to B with no stops or changes at all. Non stop is also the exact same. Anything else in my opinion is just lying.

I agree with you to be honest. 'Direct' is quite unambiguous in the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

marno21 wrote: »
    Etihad down to single 77W daily after 15 January. It's the morning rotation that's being kept.

That's a shame but not unexpected. Is the evening flight returning for summer? It's a handy flight

I agree with you to be honest. 'Direct' is quite unambiguous in the rest of the world.

The industry definition runs completely contrary to the Collins English definition of the word

“Direct means moving towards a place or object, without changing direction and without stopping, for example in a journey.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

john boye wrote: »
    That's a shame but not unexpected. Is the evening flight returning for summer? It's a handy flight

Given the latest talk from their new CEO, I doubt it. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped altogether and left that market to Emirates and Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

Given the latest talk from their new CEO, I doubt it. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped altogether and left that market to Emirates and Qatar.

Yes it does feel like it's going that way. Would be a shame, they're the best of the ME3 out of Dublin imo although their network out of Abu Dhabi is probably the weakest and it's only going to shrink further.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Yes it does feel like it's going that way. Would be a shame, they're the best of the ME3 out of Dublin imo although their network out of Abu Dhabi is probably the weakest and it's only going to shrink further.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Aer Lingus starts the route to Abu dhabi soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Kcormahs wrote: »

Unless there was a huge regular cargo element for IAG, I would find that highly unlikely. O/D traffic only where the local carrier (with significant price advantages) is reducing capacity would not augur well for a profitable route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

marno21 wrote: »

I wonder, would this be at least partially as a consequence of the Cathay Pacific and Hainan direct flights to China?

Certainly doesn't bode well for Etihad in Ireland when one reads elsewhere of the possible 3rd Emirates flight to Dublin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wonder, would this be at least partially as a consequence of the Cathay Pacific and Hainan direct flights to China?

Certainly doesn't bode well for Etihad in Ireland when one reads elsewhere of the possible 3rd Emirates flight to Dublin.

Etihad have also dropped Perth and a few more destinations, along with the above, and Qatar have also come on the scene and Turkish will also be expanding with their new Istanbul airport opening later in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I can’t see anyone in their right mind booking EI in preference to one of the ME3.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I seriously doubt it if they like making money, point-to-point from Dublin to anywhere in the ME won't work.
    I have seen Etihad A320's in various airports this month where I would have expected to see larger aircraft, they have started to remind me of Gulf Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Mebuntu wrote: »

Easyjet didn’t fail in Dublin because they never started. They failed elsewhere in Ireland for sure. Always amazes me how they never flew a single DUB-LON flight. Yes I get the FR competition but Easy are massive in London they should of been able to capture most of their ‘home’ market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Hainan airlines scaling back their Dublin to Beijing flights.

https://fora.ie/hainan-airlines-dublin-flights-4158207-Aug2018/

zetalambda wrote: »
    Hainan airlines scaling back their Dublin to Beijing flights now.

https://fora.ie/hainan-airlines-dublin-flights-4158207-Aug2018/

This has been out a while now.

Retaining the 2x non stop while dropping one via EDI is still a good outcome imo. This flight was launched with only 2/3 months notice so it'll take a while to build up steam

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Any possibility of Aer Lingus re-introducing flights to Stansted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any possibility of Aer Lingus re-introducing flights to Stansted?

I'd be of the strong opinion of no, you'll never see Aer Lingus flying to STN.

Advertisement