Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never heard any announcement, but it seems to be Mondays and Fridays next summer from a very quick bash at the schedules online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Meeee never !!

Idbatteryou if you were being facetious.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    I never heard any announcement, but it seems to be Mondays and Fridays next summer from a very quick bash at the schedules online.
    That’s a very scarce schedule for a very popular route, bet the schedule isn’t finalised, I would surely be daily ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I can't see Dublin-Rome on the Norwegian website, not for the upcoming winter schedule or next summer. It's only offered as a connection via Oslo like a number of their short haul destinations. 

Would be a risky move entering the short haul market outside of their Scandinavian routes.

I can't see Dublin-Rome on the Norwegian website, not for the upcoming winter schedule or next summer. It's only offered as a connection via Oslo like a number of their short haul destinations. 

Would be a risky move entering the short haul market outside of their Scandinavian routes.

They compete directly on short haul out of London despite BA and mammoth easyJet

• Advertisement

I'm getting it direct, but only 2x weekly, next summer.

Locker10a wrote: »

They compete directly on short haul out of London despite BA and mammoth easyJet
    Which has gradually been reduced over the past two years, apparently in favour of long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Not getting direct here either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sandbelter wrote: »
    Aer Lingus is announce two new two new North American Destinations for commencement in July 2019.  It is anticipated the announcement will be made in two to three weeks:  

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-to-announce-new-transatlantic-routes-in-weeks-1.3585382 ;
    Aer lingus route announcement on next Wednesday

Good to see them as punctual as ever! It was stated "hopefully 2-3 weeks" on on Aug 3rd. According to above the announcement to be made Sep 12th!

Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh confirmed on Friday that the airline planned to cut a shortlist of three possible North American destinations to a final two in coming weeks.He did not name any of the candidates, but sources suggest that Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Montreal in Canada could feature on the list, along with a possible destination in the midwest. “We hope to make an announcement in the next two to three weeks as to the location of those two new destinations,” Mr Kavanagh said.

Mr Kavanagh said that Aer Lingus was likely to begin flying to both from July 2019 and seats would go on sale following the announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Aer lingus route announcement on next Wednesday

Hope it’s Pittsburgh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

topnotch wrote: »
    Hope it’s Pittsburgh :P

The quote of "North American routes" instead of "US routes" hopefully means a Canadian route.... Montreal would be perfect

Wonder if they will launch any short haul new routes too or if this is only a long haul announcement. (appart from LCY if you consider that a new route).

Also what's the story with the 321LR? apparently the engine issue is sorted and the independent mentioned they will be delivered next year?

"Aer Lingus will receive the first of several new Airbus A321LR aircraft next year."

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-releases-two-million-seats-from-2999-in-winter-sale-37280690.html

The engine issue is a work in progress, there's a lot of catching up to do but things have improved with fewer "gliders" sitting around the Airbus plant. The original Q2 delivery was always a bit early for peak summer operations on the Atlantic in my opinion, surely Aer Lingus will need to have some crew familiarisation flights so late summer always felt more realistic to me even before the delays were rumoured.

The engine issue is a work in progress, there's a lot of catching up to do but things have improved with fewer "gliders" sitting around the Airbus plant. The original Q2 delivery was always a bit early for peak summer operations on the Atlantic in my opinion, surely Aer Lingus will need to have some crew familiarisation flights so late summer always felt more realistic to me even before the delays were rumoured.

Unless the aircraft itself needs to be sorted I don’t see how the A321LR would need much work from EI. Their crew are already familiar with A321s and North Atlantic ETOPS on the A330/B757. I can understand maybe 2-3 days of short haul flights once they take delivery of the 1st airframe.
    They may be planning to convert some of their B757 flight crew back to the A320/A321. The cabin crew on the B757 already operate on the A320 as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a half day difference course on the NEO beyond that its the same license, the winglets are different which will cause a slight change how it feels

All EI crew are trained for Oceanic ops as they are used to get around French airspace to avoid problems with strikes, but the short haul crews won't be current on NAT procedures, again its a quick course and possibly a ride to BOS/JFK/EWR/IAD

Cabin crew wise its the same as the current A321 in terms of exits, but the galley arrangements will likely be different, how the service is executed needs to be worked out.

I could imagine seeing one appear on DUB-LHR for a while to handle familiarisation and training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Tenger wrote: »
    They may be planning to convert some of their B757 flight crew back to the A320/A321. The cabin crew on the B757 already operate on the A320 as it is.

Are the 757's not operated by ASL? or is it ASL in the cockpit and AL in the cabin? Or is it dry leased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Are the 757's not operated by ASL? or is it ASL in the cockpit and AL in the cabin? Or is it dry leased?

Some EI flight crew are seconded to ASL as I understand it, in addition to ASL own flight deck crew.

LiamaDelta wrote: »

As above, it’s a mix of ASL and EI in the cockpit, cabin crew are all EI. A mate is cabin crew trained on the B757.

There is a half day difference course on the NEO beyond that its the same license, the winglets are different which will cause a slight change how it feels

All EI crew are trained for Oceanic ops as they are used to get around French airspace to avoid problems with strikes, but the short haul crews won't be current on NAT procedures, again its a quick course and possibly a ride to BOS/JFK/EWR/IAD

Cabin crew wise its the same as the current A321 in terms of exits, but the galley arrangements will likely be different, how the service is executed needs to be worked out.

I could imagine seeing one appear on DUB-LHR for a while to handle familiarisation and training

I understood the exit configuration would be different for the 321LR

It seems I overestimated the training required for the A321LR, I was expecting at least a few days post delivery before it entered commercial service on select short haul routes followed by 3-4 weeks before it entered transatlantic flying.

The door configuration is indeed different on the A321LR, Door 2 is removed, a single or optional double overwing exit is added and Door 3 is further aft than the current A321 in service. This configuration is due 2018 Q2 and will become standard going forwards.

As for cabin crew on the 757, I personally know of crew who have moved from A330 to 757 very recently. I’ve yet to ask him which aircraft he prefers!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

https://jornaleconomico.sapo.pt/noticias/tap-vai-ter-mais-15-avioes-e-novas-rotas-no-proximo-ano-352378

TAP CEO confirmed DUB as a new destination to 2019 (also a large expansion to the US including Chicago San Francisco and Washington and also Montreal in Canada.
    Wonder if the flights to Lisbon with Ryanair and/or Aer Lingus will be hitted on this route to Lisbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Kcormahs wrote: »
    https://jornaleconomico.sapo.pt/noticias/tap-vai-ter-mais-15-avioes-e-novas-rotas-no-proximo-ano-352378

TAP CEO confirmed DUB as a new destination to 2019 (also a large expansion to the US including Chicago San Francisco and Washington and also Montreal in Canada.
    Wonder if the flights to Lisbon with Ryanair and/or Aer Lingus will be hitted on this route to Lisbon

They may not be in direct competition with them and rather be looking at the growing South American (Brazilian's in particular) community in Dublin and feeding them into their long haul network out of LIS. It's a more attractive route than flying east to Amsterdam or Paris and then back west to South America.

Good to have them back in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

uxiant wrote: »
    They may not be in direct competition with them and rather be looking at the growing South American (Brazilian's in particular) community in Dublin and feeding them into their long haul network out of LIS. It's a more attractive route than flying east to Amsterdam or Paris and then back west to South America.

Good to have them back in DUB.

Easier access from Brazil is the last thing we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Easier access from Brazil is the last thing we need

Any particular particular reason why?

Can TAP make this route work? EI and FR have a good basis on this route, which IMO, is 2/3 Irish (open to interpretation) .

I can't see TAP making this work without a 50% transfer rate onto their LH operations.

If timed right, the quickest route to South America should sell the service on its own.

Also, it appears that Everyone (for certain definitions of that term) is going on holiday to Portugal these days. Suspect extra capacity will be happily consumed.

Flew their domestic service this year, 25min ATR flight in ideal circumstances but we had to queue for a landing slot due to dense fog in OPO. Chocolate bar before takeoff; ice cream and soft drinks/tea/coffee during the flight. Would assume the service to/from DUB would be a step above the existing offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Kevski wrote: »
    Any particular particular reason why?

The nationality most refused entry to Ireland are Brazilians. We have a large illegal Brazilian community. Portuguese wouldn’t be the strictest, so potential to cause problems here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The nationality most refused entry to Ireland are Brazilians. We have a large illegal Brazilian community. Portuguese wouldn’t be the strictest, so potential to cause problems here.

1) And your source for evidence of the 'most refused nationality' is?

2) How do You know we have a large illegal Brazilian community?

3) If what You say is true ( and I have no reason not to believe You ), so if the Portuguese are not the strictest & assuming your point of many illegal Brazilians in Ireland is true, then what does that say about OUR immigration adherance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

2) How do You know we have a large illegal Brazilian community?

3) If what You say is true ( and I have no reason not to believe You ), so if the Portuguese are not the strictest & assuming your point of many illegal Brazilians in Ireland is true, then what does that say about OUR immigration adherance?

I think that the answer to 1 and 2 should be blindingly obvious if you are a regular reader of posts by “the veteran”.

I’m getting the popcorn ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

A) You must be new here.....

B) 2016 numbers - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/most-people-refused-entry-to-ireland-from-brazil-albania-us-and-south-africa-1.3343982?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've flown with an unprotected connection EI to TAP in Lisbon when going to Brazil multiple times before because it was significantly more convenient, duration-wise, than flying any other route. So I for one am delighted with TAP entering the market.

Flying DUB -> LIS -> direct to the many mid tier Brazilian cities that TAP serves will be a lot quicker than the usual alternative of DUB->LHR/AMS/FRA -> GRU -> Brazilian final destination city.

I can also see how it will make for a bit more work for immigration in DUB, though.

Advertisement