Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Would imagine a quick amalgamation of services. No need for two airlines of the same now group to operate the same city pairing.

I would assume we will see Icelandic and WOW becoming differentiated in their market position. A little like Air Canada and Rouge.
    This will most probably impact Norwegian across the Atlantic. (And may make an IAG offer more attractive)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Is there a reason why most of the big uk airlines dont fly to dublin.
    Eg easyjet, jet2, thomas cook.
    Is it because of ryanair?
    I Virgin think virgin atlantic could do well on 2 or 3 routes at dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Whenever we see a competitor onto Ryanair's turf they will launch a fare-war and a bloodbath will ensure, I remember a few years ago Ryanair succeeded in getting rid of Wizz Air out of Cork by dumping seats at like €9.99 until Wizz pulled out, Ryanair quickly jacked up their prices and then got rid of many of the routes which they took Wizz on at like Cork - Warsaw Modlin.

Why bother competing when your biggest competitor will dump capacity and lose money to ensure you can't compete on those routes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EasyJet previously attempted to serve Ireland flying to Cork, Shannon, and Knock, and you guessed it, Ryanair launched all the exact same routes, sold tickets for nothing, they had one objective, and that was to drive competitors out, even at a loss, after easyJet pulled out Ryanair dropped some of the routes and of course readjusted prices

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

But could the DAA not grant ryanair additional flights to give airlines a chance because the DAA know that the flights will go back to previous levels otherwise
    Eg ( lets just say warsaw)
    Senario 1
    1)Fr 1per day
    2)fr 1per day, -wizz 1 per day
    3) fr 3per day, -wizz 1 per day
    4) fr 1 per day

Senario 2
    1)Fr 1per day
    Ryanair request more slots and DAA says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

But could the DAA not grant ryanair additional flights to give airlines a chance because the DAA know that the flights will go back to previous levels otherwise
    Eg ( lets just say warsaw)
    Senario 1
    1)Fr 1per day
    3) fr 3per day, -wizz 1 per day
    4) fr 1 per day

Senario 2
    1)Fr 1per day
    Ryanair request more slots and DAA says no.

Since the airline market was deregulated I think this would be highly unlikely. Basically it is a dog eat dog kind of industry with survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No, while Dublin is slot restricted, those slots are not specific to a destination

So Ryanair could in theory just move flights around.

There is a long standing game of cat and mouse with EI to match the EI morning schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

I know it hasn't been long but was wondering how that Aeroflot flight to Moscow is doing?

I know I’m jumping back a few pages but I’m on it tonight and I’d say tonight it’s operating close to capacity, good few people connecting onwards too by sounds of it. Hopefully tonight is representative of the ongoing loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any ideas/hunch as to where they are connecting onwards to?

East Asia could show demand for at least enhanced frequency on what we already have to HKG and PEK; various CIS destinations are more what I'd expect but could encourage some of the airlines of that part of the world to consider the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

L1011 wrote: »

East Asia could show demand for at least enhanced frequency on what we already have to HKG and PEK; various CIS destinations are more what I'd expect but could encourage some of the airlines of that part of the world to consider the route.

Who are they taking the CIS traffic from do you reckon - LH/TK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

toushea wrote: »
    I know I’m jumping back a few pages but I’m on it tonight and I’d say tonight it’s operating close to capacity, good few people connecting onwards too by sounds of it. Hopefully tonight is representative of the ongoing loads

It's not representative of the SVO-DUB leg anyway. From what I've seen, loads have been between 30 and 110 pax (with average being about 70 pax).
    L1011 wrote: »

I've seen connections on to UAE and some on to China as well. Majority just to SVO though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Given the short notice launch, loads of 70+ are pretty respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Nice to see United will be placing their 787-10 on the DUB-EWR route from the 22nd of May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

The difference between that and the B772s used atm will be like night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is not the seat pitch supposedly absolutely pox ?

trellheim wrote: »

I was referring more to the Polaris product up front. I don't know what the economy seat pitch is like but I've flown on 9-abreast B787s twice (not with United) and the seats were indeed awful. Does any airline have 8 abreast on their 787s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

john boye wrote: »
    Business class may be better, but 9 across on a 787 is just as unpleasant as 10 across on a 777.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

trellheim wrote: »

I was referring more to the Polaris product up front. I don't know what the economy seat pitch is like but I've flown on 9-abreast B787s twice (not with United) and the seats were indeed awful. Does any airline have 8 abreast on their 787s?

The Japanese carries ANA and JAL both opted for 8 abreast, I believe JAL has it on all aircraft but ANA has a mix of 8 and 9 abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

steve-o wrote: »
    Business class may be better, but 9 across on a 787 is just as unpleasant as 10 across on a 777.

At least there will be seat back IFE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What capacity change will this have?

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What capacity change will this have?

Will surely be quite a drop if those 772s are in domestic config.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

steve-o wrote: »

Yeah, 3-3-3 on the Dreamliner (BA) was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Poxy IFE power box also taking up a good proportion of the under seat foot area too (window seat). Couldn't put your legs out straight at all. Knee was in bits after the flight (Heathrow -> Toronto).

JAL does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeah, 3-3-3 on the Dreamliner (BA) was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Poxy IFE power box also taking up a good proportion of the under seat foot area too (window seat). Couldn't put your legs out straight at all. Knee was in bits after the flight (Heathrow -> Toronto).

787 economy as most airlines fly it is just awful in economy. Too many seats crammed in, narrow armrests etc it just negates any benefit of the pressure difference or the big windows. But alas that is just the economy experience all over. I think premium economy (aka, economy from 10-15 years ago) is going to be driving a lot of value for airlines compared to the seat conditions down the back as we move forward.

New Polaris is the business, if you’re lucky to be flying it. Delta’s new suites are the top of the bunch but I’d say United with proper Polaris is better than anything on Dub US routes today, including AA’s 787

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/united-to-deploy-latest-dreamliner-on-dublin-route-1.3697845?mode=amp

315 capacity. I’m assuming that is a better experience than an a330 Aer Lingus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Idbatterim wrote: »

Same capacity as the A330-300, but sounds like it will have a lot more business and premium economy seats.
    United will configure its 787-10s to hold 318 seats, including 44 of its new “Polaris” lie-flat business-class seats and 21 international-style “Premium Plus” premium economy seats. There also will be 54 extra-legroom Economy Plus seats and 199 in standard coach.
    - https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/11/14/united-airlines-boeing-787-10-fly-six-international-cities/1998789002/

Aer Lingus A330-300 is 287 Economy + 30 Business.

I'd say the A330 will be more comfortable, 9 across in the 787 is not fun

318 seats and it’s a reduction of 46 seats a 16% capacity reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

318 seats and it’s a reduction of 46 seats a 16% capacity reduction.

I'd say they'll make it up in the extra legroom, premium economy and biz seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair add x2 weekly Kiev begining in May.

Advertisement