Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Preemptive strike against Ukraine International, I suspect.

I may well use this. Timings are good for a weekend break and Kiev is not a bad place.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

318 seats and it’s a reduction of 46 seats a 16% capacity reduction.

This is a great example of airline economics.
    The new aircraft will offer 16% less seats but the remaining 84% will be more heavily weighted towards the premium side of things.
    United have 2 domestic B777 configs: 28/102/234 or 50/80/162. I believe it was the former that operated to Dublin.
    Looking at those 2 'domestic' configs you can see that 22 J class and 22 Y+ are equal in space to 72 Economy seats.

United will configure its 787-10s to hold 318 seats, including 44 of its new “Polaris” lie-flat business-class seats and 21 international-style “Premium Plus” premium economy seats. There also will be 54 extra-legroom Economy Plus seats and 199 in standard coach.
    So the B787-10 will be an increase in J Class revenue (depending on the United ratio of FFP upgrades)While it does offer less Prem Economy seats there is the opportunity for increased revenue as those who dont book Premium Economy may well be inclined to pay for the extra legroom seats. (what I would call Economy Plus)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Tenger wrote: »
    While it does offer less Prem Economy seats there is the opportunity for increased revenue as those who dont book Premium Economy may well be inclined to pay for the extra legroom seats. (what I would call Economy Plus)

Does United do a proper premium economy, I didn't think they do? I thought it just did the "economy plus", aka more legroom. According to Seatguru for the 777 running Newark:
    Economy Plus is offered on this aircraft type. Economy Plus is not a separate class of service but is standard economy with up to 5 inches of extra legroom. These seats are located nearer to the front of the aircraft and passengers in this section will be served first.

Loads of airlines passing off the same economy seat with some extra legroom. It's width that's worth paying for in my opinion, otherwise I'm just gonna buy an exit row seat. Air Canada for example has a proper offering here on the 788, 19.5" vs 17.3" in economy as well as the added 7" of pitch. 2-3-2 config vs 3-3-3.

But yes, United's move is gonna get them revenue with fewer seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Any chance they will brink back 2nd newark flight, upgrade capacity on other routes or start flights to a new destination.
    Where would be the most likley place united would lauch flights to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Does United do a proper premium economy, I didn't think they do? I thought it just did the "economy plus", aka more legroom. According to Seatguru for the 777 running Newark:

Loads of airlines passing off the same economy seat with some extra legroom. It's width that's worth paying for in my opinion, otherwise I'm just gonna buy an exit row seat. Air Canada for example has a proper offering here on the 788, 19.5" vs 17.3" in economy as well as the added 7" of pitch. 2-3-2 config vs 3-3-3.

But yes, United's move is gonna get them revenue with fewer seats.

They are doing the same as AA did when they introduced premium economy. Being sold as same service as economy with free upgrades for elites until enough of the aircraft are retrofitted with the new seats.

They are different seats and widths: 2-3-2 vs 2-4-2 on the 787 and 2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 on the 777

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

Have Aer Lingus cut back on German flights in response to Ryanair? It seems that the DUB-HAM route has lost the morning flight for January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Interesting. They have stopped their Stuttgart flight also. It was always seasonal but I can’t see anything for early next summer even and the last two years I’ve flown there in the summer months with Aer Lingus.

Frankfurt flight back to Dublin has also had its departure time brought back. Used be just before 9, now before 8, I was wondering if it was to compete with Ryanair now they are flying to actual Frankfurt rather than Hahn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I think EI changing flight times or tampering with flight schedules is probably more to do with them offering connections to/from their US network which has been a real winner for them. I wouldn’t heed scheduling reductions in January it’s a very very low performing month for airlines, most would cut back a lot. Also summer schedules may not be finalised yet so give it a few months yet before the final schedule is published

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

lynchie wrote: »
    They are doing the same as AA did when they introduced premium economy. Being sold as same service as economy with free upgrades for elites until enough of the aircraft are retrofitted with the new seats.

They are different seats and widths: 2-3-2 vs 2-4-2 on the 787 and 2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 on the 777

3-3-3 in economy on the American 787

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

AA 787-8 Main Cabin 31-33 pitch 16.2-18.1 width
    AA 787-9 Main Cabin 31 seat pitch 16.2-17.2 width

all 3-3-3

For comparison

EI A330-300 V2 31-32 pitch 17 width 2-4-2

Although looking at SIA 787-10 its 32 pitch and 19 width which looks nice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

WestJet announced seasonal daily 737 MAX service from Dublin to Halifax

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/westjet-to-launch-seasonal-non-stop-service-to-dublin-from-halifax-701072381.html

29 April 2019 - 25 October 2019.

marno21 wrote: »
    WestJet announced seasonal daily 737 MAX service from Dublin to Halifax

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/westjet-to-launch-seasonal-non-stop-service-to-dublin-from-halifax-701072381.html

29 April 2019 - 25 October 2019.

St. John’s cancelled however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Any chance they will brink back 2nd newark flight, upgrade capacity on other routes or start flights to a new destination.
    Where would be the most likley place united would lauch flights to

Houston and San Francisco are other UA hubs. I don't see a pent up demand for Houston, particularly as the new AA DFW route will satisfy a lot of Texas bound Irish passengers next year. SFO probably could absorb a competitor route to EI considering the Bay Area has such strong Irish diaspora, tourism and Tech connections so SFO would be my bet if UA were to add a new destination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

ongarboy wrote: »
    Houston and San Francisco are other UA hubs. I don't see a pent up demand for Houston, particularly as the new AA DFW route will satisfy a lot of Texas bound Irish passengers next year. SFO probably could absorb a competitor route to EI considering the Bay Area has such strong Irish diaspora, tourism and Tech connections so SFO would be my bet if UA were to add a new destination!

Houston offers connections to Brazil albeit requiring a transit visa , DUB-IAH-Brazil would be a winner for the considerable sized Brazilian student and immigrant population in Dublin now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

theguzman wrote: »
    Houston offers connections to Brazil albeit requiring a transit visa , DUB-IAH-Brazil would be a winner for the considerable sized Brazilian student and immigrant population in Dublin now.

TAP are launching a route to DUB, nobody will be competing with them on the market from Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

TAP are launching a route to DUB, nobody will be competing with them on the market from Brazil.

Much faster via Lisbon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

theguzman wrote: »
    Much faster via Lisbon too.

Was on holiday in Lisbon 2 weeks ago. Flew into T2 & out T1. Must say, it was a pleasure travelling both in & out.

Not sure if there would be any difference if transitting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LIS has capacity issues and isn't quite as fun in peak summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Most Brazilians living here, as far as I know, transit via Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PlaneLover

Hey all,

Couple of random Dublin Airport Questions... (sorry if this is the wrong place - assumed it falls under general chat!)

Recently started working on the Dublin Airport Campus, and have an Airside pass. Would frequently go for a dander around the terminals during my lunch. I was wondering what the room with frosted windows is on the arrivals level of T2, before Irish immigration, on the left hand side (looking from the immigration queue area) of the corridor which links to pier 3?

Do the lifts from T2 from departures lounge level to pier 4 stop at arrivals? I see the button there but doesn't seem to work! Would be a quick short cut out after a coffee!

What happens when you're refused CBP? Do they walk you up through the staff passage ways to the Arrivals hall? Or just throw you out at the entrance to CBP in pier 4?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

trellheim wrote: »
    AA 787-8 Main Cabin 31-33 pitch 16.2-18.1 width
    AA 787-9 Main Cabin 31 seat pitch 16.2-17.2 width

all 3-3-3

For comparison

EI A330-300 V2 31-32 pitch 17 width 2-4-2

Although looking at SIA 787-10 its 32 pitch and 19 width which looks nice

16.2" width, jaysus almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Most Brazilians living here, as far as I know, transit via Amsterdam.

Its a mix of AMS, CDG, FRA, LHR, IST and even ADD. It's literally wherever is cheapest for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Routing via ADD must give a rather...interesting...total travel time. Its not exactly geographically direct.

So apparently EasyJet are going to announce Gatwick- Dublin for next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Wow, interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Locker10a wrote: »
    So apparently EasyJet are going to announce Gatwick- Dublin for next summer

Not doubting you but I will believe it when I see it.

Some great bargains to be had on DUBLGW next summer if it happens.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Not doubting you but I will believe it when I see it.

Some great bargains to be had on DUBLGW next summer if it happens.

To be honest I was surprised to see it, but then again they’ve a huge European network from Gatwick and Dublin is an obvious gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Good for DY if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davebuck

Locker10a wrote: »
    To be honest I was surprised to see it, but then again they’ve a huge European network from Gatwick and Dublin is an obvious gap

if it goes ahead it'll either be very short lived or else give the potential to open up a lot of more European routes from Dublin!!!!

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Good for DY if it happens.

If you’re referring to the Norwegian/EasyJet connections then don’t get too excited apparently it’s not been the success it was initially thought to be

Advertisement