Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Both have already been in the Irish market and IMO unfairly competed out of the market through underhand tactics to limit and thwart completion.

You had EZY on ORK-LGW 3x daily (with busy loads), FR joined with 2x daily on the same route, EZY left and FR reduced to 1x daily ever since. FR priced them out of the market knowingly loosing money themselves.

Similar occurred on ORK-DUB with RE, on Cork polish routes with Wizz (majority of which were subsequently axed by FR) and also occurred with EZY on LGW-NOC/SNN and with Go in the early 2000's (merged with easyJet) on DUB-EDI.

True - only exception seems to be Norwegian which seems to make Scandenavia work where Irish carries seem to struggle. LGW is different though with two Irish carriers very established on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Locker10a wrote: »
    So apparently EasyJet are going to announce Gatwick- Dublin for next summer

About time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

davebuck wrote: »
    if it goes ahead it'll either be very short lived or else give the potential to open up a lot of more European routes from Dublin!!!!

Why so pessimistic? DUB-LON is a huge market & Easyjet are massive in LGW so I expect it to do well. Now if they opened up the route from another European base I wouldn’t be to optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Dont follow Easy myself but have some recollection that their offering is not just pure point to point anymore. Perhaps trade to/from the rest of their network will fill the DUB seats ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

0lddog wrote: »
    Dont follow Easy myself but have some recollection that their offering is not just pure point to point anymore. Perhaps trade to/from the rest of their network will fill the DUB seats ?

They offer a very limited connection program, but there’s not a huge emphasis on it at the moment I don’t think. EasyJet have very poor on time performance especially at Gatwick, I believe they’ve “won” UKs most delayd airline for the past few summers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Idbatterim wrote: »

Aer Lingus already connects with virgin, they seem to have very close relationship at LGW, Virgin even sends a connection bus to meet some EI flights to take connecting pax directly to connect onto their virgin flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I was looking through a list of worlds busiest air routes not so long ago and it really stood out that Dublin - London was served by so few airlines, most other cities in the list had multiple competing airlines but on DUB-LON you've only really got IAG and Ryanair. Definitely potential for a sizeable market for Easyjet but whether they'd be willing to invest the time and money to weather Ryanairs inevitable aggressive response remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flybe will feel very forgotten there!

Not that long ago we had BD, RE, WX all as independents, and no BA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ironic that FR uses price dumping to maintain what is basically now a duopoly on Dublin-London, given it was fighting a cosy EI-BA duopoly that made them in the first place! Makes good commercial sense but is bad for the country.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Ironic that FR uses price dumping to maintain what is basically now a duopoly on Dublin-London, given it was fighting a cosy EI-BA duopoly that made them in the first place! Makes good commercial sense but is bad for the country.

Fair point, but as a weekly passenger to London, I can’t really complain about the airfares I pay. I rarely pay more than €70 return. Which I think is a steal when you think about it for a minute.
    There may be a duopoly but it’s still very friendly to the consumers wallets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Fair point, but as a weekly passenger to London, I can’t really complain about the airfares I pay. I rarely pay more than €70 return. Which I think is a steal when you think about it for a minute.
    There may be a duopoly but it’s still very friendly to the consumers wallets

Yeah, it’s probably more in choice / availability, and likely affects Cork etc more than Dublin. It’s not as bad as the bad old days by any stretch, but quiet duopolies being allowed to rest easy ultimately screws consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

it is noticeable that outside Xmas and Easter you can get to London for far less than other big UK cities booking only 10 days out due to the sheer volume of traffic - Manchester is persistently high fares

Ryanair swamping Flybe on Southend is yet another example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The fact LHR has very high charges means the base price is forced up. Plus there is a huge volume of connecting passengers to LHR and LGW who typically pay little or nothing for the connection as BA and Virgin need to fill there planes and rather you fly with them than AF/KL/LH

LHR, LCY and LGW are all slot constrained so you can't just rock up and start flying a route and even if you have a slot some are domestic or short haul only slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aer Lingus already connects with virgin, they seem to have very close relationship at LGW, Virgin even sends a connection bus to meet some EI flights to take connecting pax directly to connect onto their virgin flights

I saw that too, its a bit half assed.

Off the Aer Lingus plane out the front and onto the airbridge. Flight Connections signs all closed off. Down the steps and back out onto the tarmac. At the buses through to Arrivals were two Virgin Atlantic reps who took the passengers. They could do better than that TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I saw that too, its a bit half assed.

Off the Aer Lingus plane out the front and onto the airbridge. Flight Connections signs all closed off. Down the steps and back out onto the tarmac. At the buses through to Arrivals were two Virgin Atlantic reps who took the passengers. They could do better than that TBH.

This is the UK authorities and not Aer Lingus, for some reason passengers screened to EU standards are not good enough for the UK and must go through security again...

The CTA also is an issue, in the old days we had a special lane in arrivals and a flash of a boarding pass with DUB on the front got you through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is the UK authorities and not Aer Lingus, for some reason passengers screened to EU standards are not good enough for the UK and must go through security again...

The CTA also is an issue, in the old days we had a special lane in arrivals and a flash of a boarding pass with DUB on the front got you through.

Given the lack of separation with other passengers and the lack of any photo ID check off Irish flights it was not beyond the bounds of possibility that two passengers (one from an Irish flight and one from elsewhere) could swap identities and someone get into the UK illegally.

Hence the setup at LGW that we now have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I appreciate this may come as a shock, but around half the UK population doesn't seem to like EU regulations all that much.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Etihad increases dublin service to 11 per week.
    The extra 4 will be operated by 787-9
    Source: airlineroutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Etihad increases dublin service to 11 per week.
    The extra 4 will be operated by 787-9
    Source: airlineroutes

An extra 6000 seats a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Not sure how you calculated that but I'm getting 48,000 extra seats.

231 seats on Etihad 787-9 x 4 x 52 = 48,048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Much less it was x2 A332 last summer. Though a B773 and B789 at 11 weekly is sloghtly higher per week by about 800 seats (return)

Only 3 month increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FR add Dubrovnik and Split both 2 weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

So apparently EasyJet are going to announce Gatwick- Dublin for next summer

On a thread elsewhere discussing the woes of TCX there is an aside

".....easyJet seems to want to enter the holiday market more aggressively with the new CEO (ex TUI)"

I'm keeping a very open mind as to what shenanigans Easy might have afoot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    FR add Dubrovnik and Split both 2 weekly.

Nice to have an alternative to EI.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    I appreciate this may come as a shock, but around half the UK population doesn't seem to like EU regulations all that much.

Technically only 25ish% don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The 747 bus is a joke. Got it last summer and took the bones of an hour- the route is utterly ridiculous, calling to all tourist spots and hotels like an open top tour bus. Couldn’t believe how bad the route is. Better get the Luas to Connolly and change there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

road_high wrote: »
    The 747 bus is a joke. Got it last summer and took the bones of an hour- the route is utterly ridiculous, calling to all tourist spots and hotels like an open top tour bus. Couldn’t believe how bad the route is. Better get the Luas to Connolly and change there

Get the Luas to 'The Point'

road_high wrote: »

Heuston to the Airport is fine, fairly quick and direct. The other direction, returning from the airport, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heuston to the Airport is fine, fairly quick and direct. The other direction, returning from the airport, good luck

I have had the opposite experience, return from the airport has always been faster. However that is with an experience of 7/8 times on the last few years.

Advertisement