Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Locker10a wrote: »
    Heuston to the Airport is fine, fairly quick and direct. The other direction, returning from the airport, good luck

It was the Heuston to Bus aras leg that was the worst. It went up through the Liberties, in by Dublin castle, down Dane st, up O’connell st then cuts across several streets to Bus aras. I had plenty of time to spare but was pretty taken aback as I assumed an airport service (lots of people in a hurry and on strict timelines!) would be taking the quickest route possible (I accept a few stops along the way). Swore I got it a few years ago and it went down the quays like any sane person would do! Not a service I’d use again to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The 747 is totally horrible service and those Double deckers are unsuited to an airport run. It should be proper coaches. As a frequent Heuston to the Airport user I would do.

Luas from Heuston to Abbey Street and catch the no. 41 outside the Irish Life building. This is slower but a cheaper option and I use this route if my OAP parents are with me as they have a free travel card.

Aircoach from outside O'Connell Street Garda Station, directly opposite the Gresham

If I am in a rush from the Airport to Heuston, I'd take the 747 to the Point Depot and connect to the Luas there taking me straight to Heuston.

Usually on my way to Dublin I'd give myself plenty time as the amount of train breakdowns and railway suicides is ever increasing which could cause a missed flight easily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

road_high wrote: »
    It was the Heuston to Bus aras leg that was the worst. It went up through the Liberties, in by Dublin castle, down Dane st, up O’connell st then cuts across several streets to Bus aras. I had plenty of time to spare but was pretty taken aback as I assumed an airport service (lots of people in a hurry and on strict timelines!) would be taking the quickest route possible (I accept a few stops along the way). Swore I got it a few years ago and it went down the quays like any sane person would do! Not a service I’d use again to be honest.

Hmm I’ve definitely not taken that route before, last time I took it in certain it was direct down the quays, maybe it deviated around o Connell street but was a much more direct route than what you experienced, god that would be ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 747 is a commercial service operated by Dublin Bus without any subsidy - it’s main raison d’être is to serve the city centre and hotels.

Serving Heuston is a bonus to be honest - it’s not the main reason they operate it.

The route it takes is there to generate maximum backsides on seats. The old 748 route wasn’t financially viable - hence the change to the current routing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281853/tunisair-s19-new-scheduled-charter-routes/
    Tunisair in summer 2019 season plans to add various scheduled charter service from Monastir and Tunis, operating once a week. Planned new scheduled charter flights as follow.

Monastir – Dublin 13JUN19 – 26SEP19 1 weekly A319
    TU8226 MIR1735 – 2100DUB 319 4
    TU8227 DUB2200 – 0130+1MIR 319 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

SunExpress are starting a seasonal service to Izmir in May. This operated previously as a charter in recent years.
    Izmir – Dublin eff 04MAY19 1 weekly 737-800

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281121/sunexpress-s19-network-additions-as-of-18oct18/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Nice to see Tunisia coming back, though the times are horrid. I can't say I want to arrive somewhere like Monastir at 1:30am!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Are they adding a route to Tunis too? The link only says Monastir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

They rumoured Easy LGW flight seems to have come from someone confusing ‘B’ with an ‘S’. On another forum it’s stated they start DUS the day after they cease ABZ from LGW.

I thought it was someone using both "B" and "S", myself.

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    They rumoured Easy LGW flight seems to have come from someone confusing ‘B’ with an ‘S’. On another forum it’s stated they start DUS the day after they cease ABZ from LGW.

Ahh interesting, they previously operated DUS from LGW and dropped the route as it performed poorly.
    The document I saw most definitely had DUB written on them, I’ll try a get a screenshot. Someone typing it up must have mixed up their codes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Ahh interesting, they previously operated DUS from LGW and dropped the route as it performed poorly.
    The document I saw most definitely had DUB written on them, I’ll try a get a screenshot. Someone typing it up must have mixed up their codes

D & S right beside each other on keyboard too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Could EI manage this on a regular a320? Even 2/3 times weekly? I know they neither have the capacity nor would the product match their current transatlantic offering but if they did manage the capacity it could be a good opportunity to expand in Canada and offer connections in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Could EI manage this on a regular a320? Even 2/3 times weekly? I know they neither have the capacity nor would the product match their current transatlantic offering but if they did manage the capacity it could be a good opportunity to expand in Canada and offer connections in Dublin

I think St Johns is marginally shorter than Cyprus.

I think they would need connections at both ends.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DUB-YYT is only 1,795nm which is well within the range of an A320. To compare, DUB-TFS is 1,620nm.

Why limit the pool to EI?

FR is now doing DUB-PFO, which is longer than DUB-YYT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Possibly need ETOPS, neither EI or FR are ETOPS for 320/737. Can be done, more cost, more paperwork...

Noxegon wrote: »
    Why limit the pool to EI?

FR is now doing DUB-PFO, which is longer than DUB-YYT.

Of course FR could do it it just wouldn’t really fit with their current business model, flying transatlantic and offering connections to Europe is more EI end of the spectrum, hence I named them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think St Johns is marginally shorter than Cyprus.

I think they would need connections at both ends.

Cyprus wouldn't have that big Atlantic with its glorious winds though, and didn't WestJet fly with connections only on one end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Cyprus wouldn't have that big Atlantic with its glorious winds though, and didn't WestJet fly with connections only on one end?
    WestJet had Canada connections only afaik, very popular for low cost travel to places like Toronto and Vancouver, even with the added stops. (it would be DUB-YYT-YYZ-YVR for Vancouver)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

WestJet have moved - and have name recognition in Canada - so it may not have worked well enough and they also could have got more connections off the larger side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

St. John's wouldn't fit there business model. There is not sufficient demand to make a profit long term. WestJet carried little O&D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Which gates do EI use to City? Is it still the same gates as City used?

If so I assume you’re as quick going in through T1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Which gates do EI use to City? Is it still the same gates as City used?

If so I assume you’re as quick going in through T1?

Yes the same gates, 200s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Idbatterim wrote: »

9 years to grow 5m from 20 to 25, just 3 years to then grow another 5 to 30.

Rapid growth over the period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    9 years to grow 5m from 20 to 25, just 3 years to then grow another 5 to 30.

Rapid growth over the period.

As a rule of thumb, numbers seem to have doubled every 9-10 years with the exception of the recent economic crash.

We must be reaching the limit of that growth rate? Can anyone see Dublin doing 60million by 2028?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think once the 2nd runway opens we'll see another jump. Dublin is perfect for transatlantic traffic, and while UK traffic will decrease post Brexit (depending on Visa/etc restrictions and hassle), we may well see connecting traffic move from Heathrow to Dublin depending on whether transit Visas/etc would be needed to go through Heathrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

I've always found it surprising that there's no DUB to BKK route. Thailand is a hugely popular destination for Irish people year round. Pre-crash you'd think EI would have done it (à la DXB), these days surely Thai Airways would do it - they're mad keen on serving the Nordic capitals and even compete with DY on the routes. There's surely money to be made!

Advertisement