Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

More money to be made sweating the assets on North Atlantic rotations. Better network for that too at either end with their own European ops and JetBlue/United on the other side.

BKK is well served from LHR/AMS/CDG/FRA, and they're all within 2 hrs of Dublin, additionally you can also use 2 of the ME3 to get there ex Dublin if you wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

A colleague does BKK every few weeks going via HEL.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

cojamocork wrote: »
    I've always found it surprising that there's no DUB to BKK route. Thailand is a hugely popular destination for Irish people year round. Pre-crash you'd think EI would have done it (à la DXB), these days surely Thai Airways would do it - they're mad keen on serving the Nordic capitals and even compete with DY on the routes. There's surely money to be made!

You won't make money unless you get bums in Business and First class seats, Irish-Thai business links would be small in this regard. In Scandinavian countries it is pitch dark for 3 months in the northern latitudes, Swedish people have a great rapport with Thailand and it is common for Swedes and Norwegians to take 1 or two month trips to Thailand during winter, they have big salaries and the cost of living in Thailand is far lower, plus rampant prostitution (this is a huge attraction there sadly).

I couldn't see an Irish-Thai airlink opening anytime soon as there is no large Thai diaspora here either to support it either. A Dublin - Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paolo - Dublin flight would have the diaspora of Brazilians here to work but wouldn't generate huge profits so won't likely happen. When you consider a Airbus or Boeing jet is $100 - $200m it is all about getting the best return out of your assets. TAP Portugal are launching into Dublin next year to funnel Brazilians via Lisbon when Amsterdam, London, Madrid and Frankfurt have been the primary gateways to date from Brazilians here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Bangkok is the single most visited city on the planet, you'd think there's be demand for a seasonal route at least when you consider some of the unlikely routes DUB sustains. I've flown via AUH, DXB and HEL there's usually 10-20 connecting to BKK from each from what I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

10-20? EI don't fly executive jets.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    9 years to grow 5m from 20 to 25, just 3 years to then grow another 5 to 30.

Rapid growth over the period.

Those growth figures hide some of the facts though. Within the 9 years from 2006 to 2015, the growth jumped from 20m in 2006 to 23.5m in 2008 but then slumped to 18.5m in 2010 due to the economic crash. So in the 5 years from 2010 to 2015, a growth of 6.5 million to 25m was achieved. The rate of growth has accelerated even further or course since 2015.

Regardless, impressive growth whatever way you look at it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Airport#Passenger_numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

theguzman wrote: »
    You won't make money unless you get bums in Business and First class seats, Irish-Thai business links would be small in this regard. In Scandinavian countries it is pitch dark for 3 months in the northern latitudes, Swedish people have a great rapport with Thailand and it is common for Swedes and Norwegians to take 1 or two month trips to Thailand during winter, they have big salaries and the cost of living in Thailand is far lower, plus rampant prostitution (this is a huge attraction there sadly).

The Scandinavian affinity with Thailand really was made apparent by the disproportionately high number of Scandinavian fatalities during the 2004 tsunami in that region. I couldn't understand why so many from these relatively low populated countries were impacted but your post explains why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Scandinavian affinity with Thailand really was made apparent by the disproportionately high number of Scandinavian fatalities during the 2004 tsunami in that region. I couldn't understand why so many from these relatively low populated countries were impacted but your post explains why.

A huge amount of Scandinavian beachgoers and tourists would also be located on or very close to the beaches in Phuket and Ko Phi Phi which were all decimated when the Boxing Day Earthquake and Tsunami struck; it was peak tourist season in Thailand, prices almost double for flights around this time of year to Thailand up to €800 - €900 where you might get €450 or €500 during a sale on another time of year. The whole mass tourism thing started in earnest with Leo Di Caprios movie the Beach back in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Very good news, they have good connections onwards to former Soviet union countries. Also the Airbus A220-300 plane is lovely to fly in, it's very quiet and although smaller than the A320 family I thought it had more of a wide body aircraft feeling (bigger windows as well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AirBatic hard product is OK. Customer service is beyond awful.

TUI have more less cancelled there 2019 expansion plans after Cello went bust. They needed to base a third aircraft and appears not to be happening or at least schedules have been pulled for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

See that Aer Lingus have dropped both Stuttgart and Murcia from the network from Dublin. Also they have cede ground to Lufthansa on Munich going down from double daily to 11 per week. They seem to struggle on the German routes with Hanover being especially short lived.

I think the frequencies on the existing TATL routes are similar to last year with the possible exception of Seattle and Miami which are 4 pw and 3pw respectively. Was that the other way around last year?

The A330 fleet is heavily taked again with 1 aircraft not scheduled for transatlantic on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday. It operates 2 Faro rotations on Saturday.

Has the Miami route pocked up? Remember alot of chat here that is was struggling. Apart from that do all the new Borth America seem to be doing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Conor84 wrote:
    Has the Miami route pocked up? Remember alot of chat here that is was struggling. Apart from that do all the new Borth America seem to be doing well?

I was on it early November and it was rammed both ways. J was full and only a handful of Y seats free. Many people heading on cruises, and it was only the start of cruise season. I've only the one recent experience though and it was a Friday/Sunday so possibly quieter other times.

Conor84 wrote: »
    See that Aer Lingus have dropped both Stuttgart and Murcia from the network from Dublin. Also they have cede ground to Lufthansa on Munich going down from double daily to 11 per week. They seem to struggle on the German routes with Hanover being especially short lived.

I think the frequencies on the existing TATL routes are similar to last year with the possible exception of Seattle and Miami which are 4 pw and 3pw respectively. Was that the other way around last year?

The A330 fleet is heavily taked again with 1 aircraft not scheduled for transatlantic on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday. It operates 2 Faro rotations on Saturday.

Wouldn't read to much into MUC cuts, its only peak season. After all they can make a lot more flying to Corfu than Munich. LH/FR added a lots of capacity will have a major impact but will reduce overtime.
    ___

In other news QR up to 11 weekly in July/August and September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How long more can Dublin remain closed on Christmas Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why? I don’t see the need for it to open on this day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Until there's enough business to sustain it. Little to no interest traveling on 25th dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Probably for some time to be honest.

Ireland remains one of the few countries left that does shut down completely for the day.

Demand would be pretty limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Can’t see it opening anytime soon, no demand, no public transport to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Yet all you have to do is look at FR24 to see the amount of flights. Looks like the UK is moving en masse to the canaries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »
    AirBatic hard product is OK. Customer service is beyond awful.

Why? How come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon Airport is open, and could/would allow airlines to operate today if they wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

SNN is an ETOPS alternate. Its a key player. Depending on weather on the day having SNN closed could cause quite a bit of strife for Atlantic traffic. Alternatives would be Aldergrove but only an ILS on one end, then its somewhere like Prestwick or Manchester.

Yet all you have to do is look at FR24 to see the amount of flights. Looks like the UK is moving en masse to the canaries!

Yet there is still very much a limited flight programme.

It's nothing like a normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

EI goes down to twice per week to MIA for S19.

EI141 DUB1630 – 2045MIA 332 37
    EI140 MIA2240 – 1210+1DUB 332 37

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282145/aerlingus-s19-miami-frequency-changes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Trampas

Stupid question but does the same or different crew from klm fly last flight into Dublin and first one out the next day. If not how does it work. Same with lh and ba

Trampas wrote: »
    Stupid question but does the same or different crew from klm fly last flight into Dublin and first one out the next day. If not how does it work. Same with lh and ba

No they don’t.

They fly again mid-afternoon next day.

A second crew overnights here and operates the first flight out, having arrived mid-afternoon the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

Seattle is increased for next summer. It's going X5 a week. Great to see a route that only started 6 months ago already proving a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gotta give credit to the various DAA functions this morning; joined the EI check in queue at 8.10am, got through that + DAA security + Pre Clearance by 8.55am, sitting here in 51st & Green (1st time, purchased access so no priority stuff helping me above), highly recommend. Having the guts of a fry + barista coffee. Chuck a couple of Vitamin G onto that before I leave and it's good value for 35 euro imo.

Advertisement