Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BZ

cson wrote: »
    Personally the attraction of widebody Y class is the 2 seater option, it's nice to have a window seat and be able to pop in/out to the toilets relatively easily vs narrowbody 757s. Seems like the 787 is the worst of both worlds and I've unfortunately got to suffer the particularly poor BA 787 product this summer.

Personally love the 777 or A330 if you pick a seat at the point where the fuselage curves to the tail (typically row 40 or so), I tend to find I get a little more room from a window seat there, and they're usually only 2 seaters also. This assumes you aren't arsed about getting off the aircraft quickly.

Have just flown BA to Asia on the 787-9 in economy. Had a middle row aisle seat and I must say being 6 foot 1 I found it a very pleasant experience. I was able to stretch my legs even with.the IFE box and actually found the the leg room a lot better than a previous trip to the US on one of their 747s in the old economy layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was definitely a regular option, but was dropped when Norwegian and Ryanair all bundled in on the route

It went from 1x daily winter, 2x daily summer (the second being operated by a smaller aircraft - MD80, 736, 717) before EI went on to 5x daily in a fairly short period of time. Price bloodbath ensued - I got a return for two with a case for 60 euro - and EI left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Etihad are down to 1x daily this year so Qatar possibly just capitalising on some of the slack, not all that much of a capacity increase on the Middle East overall. They also serve Perth which Etihad dropped, big transfer market from DUB

Etihad are expanding this year ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shn99 wrote: »
    Etihad are expanding this year ?
    They were proposing to go from 2x daily A330 to 1 daily B77W. Now they seem to be going to daily 77W + 4 weekly 789. Not sure if the new plan has more net capacity but they are down frequency which QR may be hoping to take advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

marno21 wrote: »
    They were proposing to go from 2x daily A330 to 1 daily B77W. Now they seem to be going to daily 77W + 4 weekly 789. Not sure if the new plan has more net capacity but they are down frequency which QR may be hoping to take advantage of.

Afaik, they're only down to 1 x daily until March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Tenger wrote: »
    Dont think EI went there in 4-5 years. I can remember operating on the route when it started about 15+ years ago but it got dropped quick enough back then. I think its been tried 2-3 times.
    Quick look into my Gmail archive shows that I was on this Aer Lingus DUB-CPH route (EI0626) in August 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IQO wrote: »
    Quick look into my Gmail archive shows that I was on this Aer Lingus DUB-CPH route (EI0626) in August 2015.

They operated CPH around 3 times now, the last scheduled sometime in 2016 (don't know it off hand).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Etihad are down to 1x daily this year so Qatar possibly just capitalising on some of the slack, not all that much of a capacity increase on the Middle East overall. They also serve Perth which Etihad dropped, big transfer market from DUB
    are Qatar the best option to travel to Perth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Gael23 wrote: »
    are Qatar the best option to travel to Perth?

I take that trip 2-3 times a year. Now I have been up the front and down the back. All comes down to price. A lot of people give out about the 787 but I would have no complaints about. Food and service I find quite good. But its the connection in Doha that makes it worth while for me. You can take an hour getting off one aircraft and getting to the next gate in Dubai. Personal preference to be honest but Ive gotten to silver status so I am sticking with them.

All going well you land in Perth before the Emirates flight. But if there is a delay its two arrivals at the same time and then it takes an age to get through security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I take that trip 2-3 times a year. Now I have been up the front and down the back. All comes down to price. A lot of people give out about the 787 but I would have no complaints about. Food and service I find quite good. But its the connection in Doha that makes it worth while for me. You can take an hour getting off one aircraft and getting to the next gate in Dubai. Personal preference to be honest but Ive gotten to silver status so I am sticking with them.

All going well you land in Perth before the Emirates flight. But if there is a delay its two arrivals at the same time and then it takes an age to get through security.
    I thought the QR flight landed after Emirates but open to correction there. Emirates are quoting me a ridiculous price but then I am looking at peak season.

Have you plans to try the LHR to Perth flight?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    I thought the QR flight landed after Emirates but open to correction there. Emirates are quoting me a ridiculous price but then I am looking at peak season.

Have you plans to try the LHR to Perth flight?

Maybe it does. Not 100% sure

No plans for the LHR-PER route. I can just about put up with the 11 hours but 17 would do my head in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Unrelated to the above but hinted on Twitter that BA are painting a couple of B744 into retro livery for their upcoming anniversary. (95 years since Imperial Airways was formed)
    4 are scheduled into Dublin for repaint in coming weeks, could possibly be 1-2 of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Tenger wrote: »
    Unrelated to the above but hinted on Twitter that BA are painting a couple of B744 into retro livery for their upcoming anniversary. (95 years since Imperial Airways was formed)
    4 are scheduled into Dublin for repaint in coming weeks, could possibly be 1-2 of those.

A BA 747 pilot on twitter (I'm sure we both know who) hinted that one will be in BOAC colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-sets-new-passenger-record-2

Passenger numbers up six percent to 31.5 million last year. Reckon similarish growth this year and 33.5 for 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-sets-new-passenger-record-2

The centrepiece of the plan is a €900 million capital investment programme to deliver new boarding gate areas, aircraft parking stands and many other significant improvements. The plan also includes about €200 million in airfield works and annual investment of about €120 on repair and maintenance and revenue generating projects.

Well...don't spend that €120 all in one go....we wouldn't want you getting giddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Rawr

sandbelter wrote: »

The centrepiece of the plan is a €900 million capital investment programme to deliver new boarding gate areas, aircraft parking stands and many other significant improvements. The plan also includes about €200 million in airfield works and annual investment of about €120 on repair and maintenance and revenue generating projects.

Well...don't spend that €120 all in one go....we wouldn't want you getting giddy!

€120? I guess that's enough to rent a cement mixer for a day....and some cement.....

...It'll be grand ;D

(I'm guessing that typo is a missing the odd "million" there :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Hainan are launching direct flights to Shenzhen on 25 February 2019.

Monday & Friday
    Boeing 787-9
    HU756: DUB 09:00 - SZX 05:30
    HU755: SZX 01:30 - DUB 07:00

It's bookable now on their site. It's unusually short notice for a new long-haul route launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

VG31 wrote: »
    Hainan are launching direct flights to Shenzhen on 25 February 2019.

Monday & Friday
    Boeing 787-9
    HU756: DUB 09:00 - SZX 05:30
    HU755: SZX 01:30 - DUB 07:00

It's bookable now on their site. It's unusually short notice for a new long-haul route launch.

Looks like it comes at the expense of PEK which is now twice weekly.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Noxegon wrote: »
    Looks like it comes at the expense of PEK which is now twice weekly.

PEK was cut to 2 weekly for winter season since Oct and x4 resumes in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

7 months ago, we didn't have any direct flights to China/HK. Within the space of 5 weeks we'll have 3 different routes.

Incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its definitely great progress for DUB.

Some direct to BKK flights next would help round out the Asia offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

VG31 wrote: »
    It's unusually short notice for a new long-haul route launch.

That's the way Chinese seem to do things....could have something to do with regional gvmt subsidies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Still holding out for Singapore.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm still surprised the Irish media have not picked up on this. Usually, new long haul destination announcements get more attention than short haul. More details on the service below along with industry source surprise considering their Beijing service has struggled somewhat.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/21/hainan-airlines-launching-shenzhen-dublin-flights-in-february/

The carrier’s decision to launch new a second route to Dublin is surprising. Despite launching to much fanfare in June last year, the airline’s Edinburgh/Dublin service out of Beijing appears to have struggled to fill seats with the initially four-times-weekly service dropping to just twice per week only a few months after it launche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Curious that it's not on Dublin airports latest news page? That's usually well up to date with new services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sk8board

Westjet to start a 787 service from Calgary to Dublin next June. Three times weekly stepping down to twice weekly from September.

I just booked this 787 service for June/July. Do Westjet use a lounge in Dublin? Their website only lists one in Gatwick.

also, their (intro?) offers on this first ever business cabin are very good, €1,640 return. economy was €700, so the price diff for 17-18hrs onboard is worth the extra imho.

sk8board wrote: »
    I just booked this 787 service for June/July. Do Westjet use a lounge in Dublin? Their website only lists one in Gatwick.

also, their (intro?) offers on this first ever business cabin are very good, €1,640 return. economy was €700, so the price diff for 17-18hrs onboard is worth the extra imho.

I would assume it will be the DAA lounge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,736 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m wondering about Brazil still, with the sizable Brazilian community here and the potential for leisure traffic a once weekly would surely be viable economically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m wondering about Brazil still, with the sizable Brazilian community here and the potential for leisure traffic a once weekly would surely be viable economically?

The soon to start TAP LIS flight will cater for that, that’ll do for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Beersmith

EICVD wrote: »
    The soon to start TAP LIS flight will cater for that, that’ll do for now.

Do maybe. Still I think he is right there surely would be demand for a once weekly. Dublin Brazil would have a lot of irish travelers interested. Unlikely they would go through Lisbon.

Advertisement