Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't see it lasting - beyond the fact that Dublin - Billund doesn't work with FR bases each end and tourism traffic to BLL; these obscure route startups just never work. BLL is not that far and serves the same markets really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

L1011 wrote: »
    Can't see it lasting - beyond the fact that Dublin - Billund doesn't work with FR bases each end and tourism traffic to BLL; these obscure route startups just never work. BLL is not that far and serves the same markets really

Good name but yeah, beyond that I’d be sceptical. It just isn’t the right market for micro players today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Idbatterim wrote: »

And a 22% increase on connecting passengers. The strategy is working for all concerned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

North America up 14% and that's before the launches of MSP, YUL, DFW, YYC and YHM. Impressive stuff

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing how dallas does. Calgary a good option too. The other routes I’m very “meh” about !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I really hope Dallas goes year round.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone here know when Aer Lingus are starting the direct route to Las Vegas?

Nobody knows when they will launch a route to the gambling , entertainment and conference capital of the world. I do know that I’m not bothered going back again until they launch a direct route. Was meant to go this year, I love the place. But I have had enough of bull**** connections, near missed flights , the stress. Adding hours to the trip. Because they are happier to simply route you via London or Manchester, even if it means losing a few to virgin Atlantic or perhaps Thomas Cooke! A twice or three times weekly service on an a330 from Dublin must be deemed too high risk for them ,lol! Meanwhile they launch routes ,to Mickey Mouse east coast destinations, that certainly I and none of my mates have ever been to or will ever go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lafors wrote: »
    Anyone here know when Aer Lingus are starting the direct route to Las Vegas?

One has not been announced, so currently never.

• Advertisement

I’d say the Dallas route will perform really well for aa. That’s what happens when you just sit on the fence!

No direct flight from cork to Dublin meaning Dublin loses those passengers to London or Manchester airports. Should have been a condition of the sale of aer Lingus to iag, that the route be reinstated, with certain terms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I’d say the Dallas route will perform really well for aa. That’s what happens when you just sit on the fence!

Or avoids reckless expansion like Norwegian losing millions...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Or avoids reckless expansion like Norwegian losing millions...

Norwegian and aer Lingus are extremes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Nobody knows when they will launch a route to the gambling , entertainment and conference capital of the world. I do know that I’m not bothered going back again until they launch a direct route. Was meant to go this year, I love the place. But I have had enough of bull**** connections, near missed flights , the stress. Adding hours to the trip. Because they are happier to simply route you via London or Manchester, even if it means losing a few to virgin Atlantic or perhaps Thomas Cooke! A twice or three times weekly service on an a330 from Dublin must be deemed too high risk for them ,lol! Meanwhile they launch routes ,to Mickey Mouse east coast destinations, that certainly I and none of my mates have ever been to or will ever go!

Well I've heard they've signed deals with service providers over there, pretty sure it's not BS, just hoping it will be before the summer.....for selfish reasons ;)

Just thought ye folk might know, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Air Coach nixes the need for a ORK-DUB shuttle I think, EI are probably getting the loads they need without having to feed in ORK pax.

All well and good saying you'll use Vegas but consider the following;

- What O&D traffic will there be ex LAS? The place is a destination, do you think service industry workers based there will holiday in Ireland?

- What level of J class loads will there be? I'll grant you that it is a conference hotspot, however its very US centric and I can't see too many J class transiting ex DUB to it. Maybe if they fed in from London, but London has a direct anyway so why bother?

- The other 'Mickey Mouse' east coast destinations aren't geared to you or your mates, they're geared towards the substantial Irish diaspora that will support O&D on those routes.

Vegas is too low yielding and high aircraft utilization to bother with.

Not a chance , they would announce it many months in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Norwegian and aer Lingus are extremes!

True and while EI are cautious launching DFW would be loss making because there is no transit in DFW (yet) and there hub in DUB couldn’t deliver significant transit volunes because of the distance of DUB-DFW and schedules.

Its good that AA are on the route. Would also be positive to see UA/DL link up other cities before EI do.

cson wrote: »
    Air Coach nixes the need for a ORK-DUB shuttle I think, EI are probably getting the loads they need without having to feed in ORK pax.

All well and good saying you'll use Vegas but consider the following;

- What O&D traffic will there be ex LAS? The place is a destination, do you think service industry workers based there will holiday in Ireland?

- What level of J class loads will there be? I'll grant you that it is a conference hotspot, however its very US centric and I can't see too many J class transiting ex DUB to it. Maybe if they fed in from London, but London has a direct anyway so why bother?

- The other 'Mickey Mouse' east coast destinations aren't geared to you or your mates, they're geared towards the substantial Irish diaspora that will support O&D on those routes.

Vegas is too low yielding and high aircraft utilization to bother with.
    Why do they fly there from a lot of other European destinations then. Including some airports a lot smaller than Dublin ? And not on the west coast of Europe? They will launch the route, but no doubt its 1-3 years away. You can eat humble pie when they do. Likewise if they don’t ,you’re welcome to bring up this post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I love the place. But I have had enough of bull**** connections, near missed flights , the stress. Adding hours to the trip.

+1

Going via LGW/MAN is fine on the outbound as you get in mid afternoon but coming back and sitting in those airports is just painful.

I took the ET flight a couple of time and got the 45 min flight to LAS but thats gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why do they fly there from a lot of other European destinations then. Including some airports a lot smaller than Dublin ? And not on the west coast of Europe? They will launch the route, but no doubt its 1-3 years away. You can eat humble pie when they do. Likewise if they don’t ,you’re welcome to bring up this post!

Current European directs to McCarran;

BA ex LHR
    Condor ex FRA
    Cook ex MAN
    Virgin ex LGW

Seasonals
    Eurowings ex DUS
    Virgin ex MAN
    Norwegian ex LGW

That's 7 services, 3 of them seasonal, all from Cities much bigger than Dublin. But hey, lets not let facts get in the way of a good Aer Lingus should do Vegas direct argument.

They could maybe do charter for McGregor fights, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

No direct flight from cork to Dublin meaning Dublin loses those passengers to London or Manchester airports. Should have been a condition of the sale of aer Lingus to iag, that the route be reinstated, with certain terms!

So they should be forced (by the government, presumably?) to operate a route that no airline sees as economically viable? Should they bring back the Shannon stopover too while they're at it?

+1

Going via LGW/MAN is fine on the outbound as you get in mid afternoon but coming back and sitting in those airports is just painful.

I took the ET flight a couple of time and got the 45 min flight to LAS but thats gone too.

Even getting out is a joke , the usual farce of sitting on the ground in Dublin for nearly an hour after pushback. Gatwick airport is most delayed in the uk. I’ve had endless issues and stress with the connecting. Coming back as you say, you’ll no doubt arrive in early. Then I’d an hour wait in security in Manchester, a farce.

A lot of people go there for 4/5 nights. T

Certainly won’t go via uk again. At this stage I’ll wait to I can go direct or not go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Why are people going to Vegas via the UK ? That means no pre-clearance either, which is a complete pain. My wife regularly uses Dub-SFO and a simple well timed connection to LAS, usually United. Same on the return. LAX is also a very good option. She did only a couple of weeks ago, simple with no hassle, SFO is an easy airport to transfer in as well.

I think it was the aer Lingus chief executive that said they planned to launch one new us route a year on average over the next few years. They are going to get a lot more aircraft. So do the maths yourselves...

As for the pre clearance. I don’t rate it, I’ve been off the plane in McCarran before and out the door in sub fifteen minutes. Just get ahead of the rest of the passengers if you can and hope another few flights haven’t landed at same time.

Current European directs to McCarran;

BA ex LHR
    Condor ex FRA
    Cook ex MAN
    Virgin ex LGW

Seasonals
    Eurowings ex DUS
    Virgin ex MAN
    Norwegian ex LGW

That's 7 services, 3 of them seasonal, all from Cities much bigger than Dublin. But hey, lets not let facts get in the way of a good Aer Lingus should do Vegas direct argument.

. Dusseldorf a city much bigger than Dublin? You can effectively count Northern Ireland and a whole swathe of the country into Dublin’s population as far as airport use is concerned. I believe Dublin is the fifth or sixth busiest airport to us in Europe. Also aer Lingus did mention a potential seasonal flight to Vegas some time ago ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Sure take Dusseldorf for example which is in the middle of north rhine westphalia which has a population of about 18million in a space smaller than Holland AND Holland is beside it too with very good road links adding maybe another 10 million to the catchment area.
    Sure Brussels is only a 2 hour drive from DUS, so add in another 10 million to the catchment if you include Belgium in your calculations.

Thats 38 million or so people a comfortable drive from Dusseldorf airport, so yea, a slight bit higher than Dublin.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/11/17/too-hot-fly-norwegian-air-suspends-summer-las-vegas-flights/94025902/

Norwegian hadflights from Stockholm Copenhagen and bloody Oslo to Vegas that were performing well according to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

. Dusseldorf a city much bigger than Dublin? You can effectively count Northern Ireland and a whole swathe of the country into Dublin’s population as far as airport use is concerned. I believe Dublin is the fifth or sixth busiest airport to us in Europe. Also aer Lingus did mention a potential seasonal flight to Vegas some time ago ...

As above, the Rhine-Rhur region has a very high population density, population is over 10 million, and Düsseldorf's catchment reaches for several tens of millions people. That region generates hundreds of billions of GMP every year. Don't underestimate that region!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/11/17/too-hot-fly-norwegian-air-suspends-summer-las-vegas-flights/94025902/

Norwegian hadflights from Stockholm Copenhagen and bloody Oslo to Vegas that were performing well according to them!

The vital word being had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Airlines will almost never admit that one of their routes performed badly. They'll think of all sorts of excuses under the sun other than our airline couldn't make it profitable. Just look at Norwegians finances.

I'm quite amused at some of the comments in here. There are well paid people in airlines whose main job is to assess things like this. There are a lot of factors that play in. Vegas is a long flight resulting in a higher cost per seat plus aircraft utilisation. Is it viable year round? What's the cargo potential on this route? What o&d options are available here? What's the market like for Americans coming the other way and connecting or stopping at DUB etc etc.

"But me and my mates would use a direct flight". Maybe so but I would guess it's quite a price sensitive destination and if another carrier is offering a connecting flight for 50 quid cheaper many would do that instead. Just my 2 cents..

However if an airline does decide to start it then brilliant, I'd be delighted too.

Advertisement