Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The obsession with Las Vegas by some posters here is perplexing and the reluctance to understand or accept the very valid reasons as to why the route isn't operated yet is just astonishing. 

Firstly, it is not Aer Lingus' role to operate routes just because you *think* they should. 

Secondly, an airline will only operate a route if there is money to be made. 

Aer Lingus have been growing considerably in recent years, we've seen EWR, BDL, SFO, LAX, IAD, YYZ, YUL, SEA, MIA, PHL, MSP and numerous frequency increases in the space of about five years. The fact all those cities have come ahead of Las Vegas should tell you everything you need to know about its potential. 

Finally, there are dozens of factors to consider when launching a route; demand, yield, costs, aircraft utilisation, competition, incentives, connections... the list goes on. Just because you and your mates love the place, doesn't mean it'll make money for the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The obsession with Las Vegas by some posters here is perplexing and the reluctance to understand or accept the very valid reasons as to why the route isn't operated yet is just astonishing. 

Firstly, it is not Aer Lingus' role to operate routes just because you *think* they should. 

Secondly, an airline will only operate a route if there is money to be made. 

Aer Lingus have been growing considerably in recent years, we've seen EWR, BDL, SFO, LAX, IAD, YYZ, YUL, SEA, MIA, PHL, MSP and numerous frequency increases in the space of about five years. The fact all those cities have come ahead of Las Vegas should tell you everything you need to know about its potential. 

Finally, there are dozens of factors to consider when launching a route; demand, yield, costs, aircraft utilisation, competition, incentives, connections... the list goes on. Just because you and your mates love the place, doesn't mean it'll make money for the airline.

Not to mention the high alt, high temps and all that sand seriously reduces overhaul intervals on the engines, especially on a twin,as the engines on average need to work that bit harder at takeoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

lafors wrote: »
    Anyone here know when Aer Lingus are starting the direct route to Las Vegas?

Oh no, not this one again...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I saw Icelandair brought in their 753 today. Was it just a once off or is the route performing well for them? Anyone any idea on loads in the last year and how they stack against WOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I saw Icelandair brought in their 753 today. Was it just a once off or is the route performing well for them? Anyone any idea on loads in the last year and how they stack against WOW?

Must be doing well as they just announced today it’s going to 10x weekly from 16th of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

AL will only operate Vegas if BA strip back their service. I'd love a direct flight, believe me. but I don't think it will happen in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LorelaiG wrote: »
    AL will only operate Vegas if BA strip back their service. I'd love a direct flight, believe me. but I don't think it will happen in the near future.

Shortly people will be able to get there via westjet through Calgary and aa via dallas. We have the largest low cost carrier in the world ? Ryanair, hundreds of aircraft on order, Dublin it’s second biggest base. They can start interlining with aer Lingus. ( I don’t know what’s going on with this ) Aer Lingus showing barely any growth to Europe to best of my knowledge. They plan on expanding westward, their capacity will rise largely in this regard. Frankly it’s wasted breath at this stage, time will settle this debate. I’d be surprised if it’s not launched by 2022! Shocked if it’s much after that, assuming the economy doesn’t tank again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If you are going to use an acronym for an airline please get it right!

:P:P:P:P:eek::eek::eek::p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If BA reduces its LAS service I suspect it will reflect economic conditions that would preclude a DUB-LAS service entirely. The base of punters in London is both broader and deeper by orders of magnitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Shortly people will be able to get there via westjet through Calgary and aa via dallas. We have the largest low cost carrier in the world ? Ryanair, hundreds of aircraft on order, Dublin it’s second biggest base. They can start interlining with aer Lingus. ( I don’t know what’s going on with this ) Aer Lingus showing barely any growth to Europe to best of my knowledge. They plan on expanding westward, their capacity will rise largely in this regard. Frankly it’s wasted breath at this stage, time will settle this debate. I’d be surprised if it’s not launched by 2022! Shocked if it’s much after that, assuming the economy doesn’t tank again!

You do know you can book a 1 stopper directly with EI to LAS? You can route via LAX with an Alaska connection for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Go onto the EI website. Lots of options through BOS, SFO, EWR, JFK etc. Booking direct rather than separately point to point will ensure you have all the benefits of interline. With Jet Blue for example you will be able to through check your bags to Vegas and arrive into JFK as a domestic passenger and not have to reclear security as we share the same terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

basill wrote: »
    Go onto the EI website. Lots of options through BOS, SFO, EWR, JFK etc. Booking direct rather than separately point to point will ensure you have all the benefits of interline. With Jet Blue for example you will be able to through check your bags to Vegas and arrive into JFK as a domestic passenger and not have to reclear security as we share the same terminal.

I have to say, JetBlue are a joy to fly also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nijmegen wrote: »

Far and away the best of the US carriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Nijmegen wrote: »

+1. The nicest American airline I've flown with in the last 10 years. They're a huge step up from AA/Delta/United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

...although Delta are getting back up there to match JetBlue in my recent experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

FR will open daily Milan MXP for winter 19/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

hi folks

I am watching the Dub>Barcelona (El Prat) Ryanair flights for end of June, they seem to be 300/400 dearer thank last summer at the same time.

I have the campsite booked, family holiday (2 adults, 3 kids) but am getting a little concerned about waiting any longer to book flights, any advice at this stage 4 months out...book them or wait a while longer?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭NH2013

jconn wrote: »
    hi folks

I am watching the Dub>Barcelona (El Prat) Ryanair flights for end of June, they seem to be 300/400 dearer thank last summer at the same time.

I have the campsite booked, family holiday (2 adults, 3 kids) but am getting a little concerned about waiting any longer to book flights, any advice at this stage 4 months out...book them or wait a while longer?

thanks

Check out prices on Aer Lingus and Vueling as well, but from the sounds of it, demand is high so prices are high, waiting probably won't see the prices coming down over the next four months, if anything prices will probably increase as the last remaining seats are sold off.

Also Aer Lingus fly to Perpignan in the south of France, only a 90 minute drive from Barcelona, may also be worth comparing prices there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

jconn wrote: »
    hi folks

thanks

Try an app like hopper. Seems to show a busy time alright and indicates unlikely to get cheaper based on pricing trends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

thanks folks, Aer Lingus Dublin>Perpignon return flights are coming in around €3500, around 2k dearer!

The Airhint.com site is telling me there is an 85% price drop chance on the Ryanair Dub>Barca flights, anyone use this?

I seem to remember reading there can be value booking Ryanair flights 3 months out, so I'll keep an eye on them until mid-March.

Another option could be Dublin>London>Barcelona, if I could get the flights to line up with Luton/Stansted to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am tracking Ryanair flights to a few destinations for the end of June since before Christmas. So far they have not budged.
    However some prices for the first two weeks in June have dropped. Some quieter days and poorer scheduled flights are moving downward. In some instances I have found July prices cheaper than June prices.

You have the crazy situation for flights over to Nantes are in excess of €100 for late June but the return flights are €25. They seem to be playing this new game of having one leg expensive and one leg cheap, therefore averaging out the cost....in their favour.

I am not sure if Ryanair are keeping the prices higher to see how many people they can catch before dumping the remaining seats a few weeks before the flight date at low prices.

Madrid is dirt cheap for mid June. Would it be worthwhile sussing out train prices to your destination from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Last 10 days or so in June are going to be very expensive because its one of bussiest weeks.

General tip don’t book hoildays from around 20 June-10 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Last 10 days or so in June are going to be very expensive because its one of bussiest weeks.

General tip don’t book hoildays from around 20 June-10 July.

Primary school holidays I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Don't recall seeing this here
    https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-welcomes-new-direct-service-to-shenzhen

Hainan launches new direct service to Shenzhen, less than a year after the Beijing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

Virgin really have the DUB to Las Vegas market tied up fairly well with packages. I've often seen 30+ on the early DUB-LGW heading off to Vegas.

Yeah. I’ve flown with virgin many times , as you say, there were a lot of people connecting. New route launched to Shenzhen there as highlighted, with virtually no notice. I wish Norwegian would launch a route to gatwick from Dublin , so the duopoly here could be easier avoided. There is a hell of a lout more competition from uk to bucket and spade routes etc.

I believe Ryanair are going to start allowing you connect onwards with Ryanair...

Back to the virgin to Vegas. I won’t fly via the uk again, particularly on way back. Fly over Dublin to Manchester or London, after nine hours of flying , after a week in Vegas. Likely get in over an hour early etc due to the tradewinds , then go through security again , and arse around on the runway in gatwick sometimes for longer than your in the air to Dublin? I’m out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Virgin really have the DUB to Las Vegas market tied up fairly well with packages. I've often seen 30+ on the early DUB-LGW heading off to Vegas.

Exactly why EI don't fly direct. Point made so lets not raise this one over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-evaluating-15-destinations-for-new-north-american-routes-1.3809575?mode=amp
    Aer Lingus evaluating 15 destinations for new North American Routes

If I had to guess I would say.
    DEN, YVR, CLE, ATL, IAH, DTW, SAN, TPA, LAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Shamrockj wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-evaluating-15-destinations-for-new-north-american-routes-1.3809575?mode=amp
    Aer Lingus evaluating 15 destinations for new North American Routes

If I had to guess I would say.
    DEN, YVR, CLE, ATL, IAH, DTW, SAN, TPA, LAS

YVR would be great, was there last week and there is a very large Irish community there.

Advertisement