Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Idbatterim wrote: »

Is the Asia/Africa/Rest of World increase of just 2% since last year not a little underwhelming considering Cathay Pacific and Hainan have both launched services since and are included in the Feb 2019 figures? Is the withdrawal of Ethiopian LAX services the main factor here for such a modest increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

IQO wrote: »
    also a good chance they'll put on extra sales to fill the extra seats.

No there isn’t, PVD pax will also be on that flight and bussed to PVD as stated above and all Irish TATL Norwegian routes have been taken off sale up until May 1st and prices for May are extortionate to discourage booking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is the Asia/Africa/Rest of World increase of just 2% since last year not a little underwhelming considering Cathay Pacific and Hainan have both launched services since and are included in the Feb 2019 figures? Is the withdrawal of Ethiopian LAX services the main factor here for such a modest increase?

I’m assuming that the existing EY, EK and QR services make up the other % for those regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

Alternatively, if Aeroflot is doing as well as rumored, they could be soaking up some of the growth......assuming Russia is considered part of Europe in the stats that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

sandbelter wrote: »
    Alternatively, if Aeroflot is doing as well as rumored, they could be soaking up some of the growth......assuming Russia is considered part of Europe in the stats that is.

Any insight into what routes people are connecting onto after Moscow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Are Delta going back on ATL for the summer ? If so anyone know when it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Jacovs

trellheim wrote: »
    Are Delta going back on ATL for the summer ? If so anyone know when it starts

Delta ATL and BOS both starting again 31 March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Any insight into what routes people are connecting onto after Moscow?

Also interested in what's driving this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

cson wrote: »
    Also interested in what's driving this route.

Cheap flights to Asia. Finnair, Aeroflot, Hainan and many more are offering cheap flights to Asia with stopovers for as little as 400 quid even during the high season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Does anyone know how the Dublin direct flights to Asia are doing (Hong Kong, Beijing and Shenzhen). I know the latter is only very recent so probably too early to tell. I know that Cathay Pacific had said in the early days that the demand for flights was really encouraging. It would be great to see these flights do well. I suppose the fact that these flights are still going a year later suggests they are doing well

I was just chatting to a friend who has used the Dublin Seattle flight a few times and said those flights were all full, great to hear. It will be interesting to see what the next direct flights to North America will be. Its just incredible to look at the list of arrivals into Dublin airport early each morning, there must be about 20-30 flights coming in from USA alone.

The growth of Dublin Airport is hugely impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Are delta the only carrier to Atlanta? That might be a potential one for Aer Lingus? Does the a321 lr have the range for it ?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Are delta the only carrier to Atlanta? That might be a potential one for Aer Lingus? Does the a321 lr have the range for it ?
    ATL is Delta's homebase. Cant see EI trying to launch that. It would be similar to Easyjet moving into Dublin.
    Aer Lingus rely a lot on onward connections to keep their network close to capacity. Option via ATL would be limited as AA and UA dont have a large network ex-ATL/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Tenger wrote: »
    ATL is Delta's homebase. Cant see EI trying to launch that. It would be similar to Easyjet moving into Dublin.
    Aer Lingus rely a lot on onward connections to keep their network close to capacity. Option via ATL would be limited as AA and UA dont have a large network ex-ATL/

Would this also be the reason EI never ventured into Dallas? Personally I think they missed a trick there, but reading what You say also makes sense.

Would this also be the reason EI never ventured into Dallas? Personally I think they missed a trick there, but reading what You say also makes sense.
    Dallas is an American Airlines hub.
    But its less a competition than an issue of launching coastal routes first as they have a better return on investment.
    Im sure DFW is on the EI shortlist of possible new routes to happen over the next 3 years.
    Along with Denver, Cleveland, Houston, Cincinanti, Vancouver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

Cleveland could be an interesting one for traffic connecting through Dublin. Had to go there recently and was surprised that it doesn't seem to have any year-round routes to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

But its less a competition than an issue of launching coastal routes first as they have a better return on investment.
    Im sure DFW is on the EI shortlist of possible new routes to happen over the next 3 years.

I have to go to AUS a few times each year. I'll take the nearest non-stop service over a LHR connection (be that DFW or IAH) any day of the week.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Which airline would do better if they came to Dublin easyjet or wizzair ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Easyjet have the better passenger experience. Neither is likely to after their clashes with Ryanair at other Irish airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn’t AA starting DFW-DUB in June. I seem to recall they announced, a dropping of their PHL route and EI’s commencement of PHL route at the same time. EI will join the AA-AY-BA-IB joint business arrangement for transatlantic when US competition clearance comes through. Under that arrangement, all routes are pooled. Can’t see them “competing” directly with AA when they are sharing revenues. It might be picked up by EI though. Still fon’t Understand how MIA doesn’t get interconnected with AA Caribbean and LatAm flights. That’s an AA strength and would underpin MIA route for EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

liiga wrote: »

Wizz Air. It could probably go toe-to-toe with Ryanair quite easily on Central and Eastern European routes. The airline has evolved considerably since its last venture into the Irish market at Cork, it actually did reasonably well until Ryanair's targeted onslaught. Ryanair could of course repeat the same strategy of route duplication and fare dumping but it isn't as likely, the appetite for such manoeuvres isn't as strong as it used to be with the board. 

Wizz's arrival would probably see zero response from Aer Lingus as well, so long as they focus on central and eastern Europe, somewhere Aer Lingus happily concedes to Ryanair whereas an Easyjet arrival is more likely to trigger Aer Lingus' defence mode in addition to Ryanair's attack mode; an unintended but formidable alliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Jacovs wrote: »
    Delta ATL and BOS both starting again 31 March.

That's very early for BOS, it started May 26th last year. Delighted to see, I was on it a few times and it was always full, it's good having competition there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Does anyone know how the Dublin direct flights to Asia are doing (Hong Kong, Beijing and Shenzhen). I know the latter is only very recent so probably too early to tell. I know that Cathay Pacific had said in the early days that the demand for flights was really encouraging. It would be great to see these flights do well. I suppose the fact that these flights are still going a year later suggests they are doing well

The growth of Dublin Airport is hugely impressive

I’d be interested to know this as well. I have a cathay pacific flight booked from DUB in early Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

mel.b wrote: »
    I’d be interested to know this as well. I have a cathay pacific flight booked from DUB in early Sept.

I'm travelling on that flight in 2.5 weeks - so i can pass on what i see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

liiga wrote: »

Its depends on so much more than which airline is better to compete with FR. out of DUB. Only thing that is certain is time and money is needed. FR do back down such as UK domestic routes but remember it's all APD fault even though Easyjet pay it as well...

CX are doing well on loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Marcusm wrote:
    Isn’t AA starting DFW-DUB in June. I seem to recall they announced, a dropping of their PHL route and EI’s commencement of PHL route at the same time. EI will join the AA-AY-BA-IB joint business arrangement for transatlantic when US competition clearance comes through. Under that arrangement, all routes are pooled. Can’t see them “competing†directly with AA when they are sharing revenues. It might be picked up by EI though. Still fon’t Understand how MIA doesn’t get interconnected with AA Caribbean and LatAm flights. That’s an AA strength and would underpin MIA route for EI.

AA dropped the JFK route this year, PHL won't be dropped as its their main hub for tatl these days.

I think an issue with Miami and connections is the need to have a esta in place to transit whereas if you go through another non USA airport you won't require one. I could be wrong on this though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Twice weekly (Tue,Fri), starting June. A typical return flight costing about €200, so standard Scandinavian airline prices...

Website all in Danish.

https://greatdaneairlines.dk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Twice weekly (Tue,Fri), starting June. A typical return flight costing about €200, so standard Scandinavian airline prices...

Website all in Danish.

https://greatdaneairlines.dk/

Would love to try them but those prices are outrageous. Shame.

I've flown with SAS in the past from Oslo to Dublin for around €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I find Google flights to be the best tool for finding the cheap deals. You can get to Scandinavia for ~100 or less if you get the timing right, even for weekend breaks. Aalborg strikes me as a very niche destination. Not really well known as a holiday spot, a 4 hour drive to Copenhagen so it's not even a Ryanair style "Munich (Croatia)" type gig. Either there's a lot of industry there, a lot of north Danes living in Ireland, or a marketing campaign to run on the beaches of the Baltic

Advertisement