Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Here are some estimated load factors for new routes from Dublin based on CSO 2018 figures. This is just my own estimates so may not be entirely accurate due to flight cancellations, possible extra flights etc.

Aeroflot SVO (This is assuming the A320 used is in the 140 seats configuration rather than the 158. SeatGuru indicates that it's the 140 seat version)
    October 2018: 49%
    November 2018: 39%
    December 2018: 66%

Cathay Pacific HKG
    June 2018: 83%
    July 2018: 93%
    August 2018: 92%
    September 2018: 77%
    October 2018: 73%
    November 2018: 62%
    December 2018: 75%

Croatia Airlines ZAG
    May 2018: 77%
    June 2018: 81%
    July 2018: 88%
    August 2018: 88%
    September 2018: 78%
    October 2018: 69%

Unfortunately the loads for Hainan to PEK were too difficult to calculate due to the variety of aircraft used on the route and the Edinburgh stopover. But in general the loads appeared to be in the 30/40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Impressive loads from CX considering its an A350 they're running.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Great loads on Aeroflot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Marcusm wrote: »
    a dropping of their PHL route

Odd they'd drop their Philadelphia route as Philadelphia is a big hub for them, and the last time I flew there I flew with them on a midweek flight and the A330 was full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hurrache wrote: »
    Odd they'd drop their Philadelphia route as Philadelphia is a big hub for them, and the last time I flew there I flew with them on a midweek flight and the A330 was full.

They’re not dropping PHL, it’s JFK they’re dropping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Unusual to drop JFK but I'd imagine the decision came from a combination of pretty intense competition ex NYC and their ability to route people via PHL, CLT and now DFW if coming from west coast.

They also had the ****tiest product ex NYC of any legacy carrier, old domestic 757s on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

AA have gradually been reducing their European network from JFK the last few years. Guess they see PHL as their main Eastern hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

cson wrote: »
    Unusual to drop JFK but I'd imagine the decision came from a combination of pretty intense competition ex NYC and their ability to route people via PHL, CLT and now DFW if coming from west coast.

They also had the ****tiest product ex NYC of any legacy carrier, old domestic 757s on the route.

DUB-JFK only happened because they dropped BRU-JFK and options for the B752 were limited. It was an easy route to make money on but they were always in a weak position so not a major surprise it was dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

With the JV soon to be signed off perhaps they can redeploy the airframes on higher yielding routes and leave AL to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Norwegian are cancelled there HEL route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

First tap airlines a319 leaves Dublin for Lisbon 90% full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

liiga wrote: »
    First tap airlines a319 leaves Dublin for Lisbon 90% full

It seemed more like 70% full at most to me. My row had just two people in it, as did the one behind me. Saw quite a few empty seats throughout the cabin.

I really enjoyed the flight all the same. Would definitely consider using Lisbon and TAP for a connection in the future.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flybe are to close their Cardiff and Doncaster/Sheffield bases

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0403/1040395-flybe-flight-cancellations/

Presumably the end of the Dublin routes from both. Perhaps EI Regional might be an option to pick up the slack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    Flybe are to close their Cardiff and Doncaster/Sheffield bases

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0403/1040395-flybe-flight-cancellations/

Presumably the end of the Dublin routes from both. Perhaps EI Regional might be an option to pick up the slack

Flybe started both after EI Regional left though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Flybe started both after EI Regional left though.
    My only reason for the EI Regional point was that EI have increased transatlantic options ex DUB since and are continuing to expand. It all depends on how many of the Flybe pax were connecting and what kind of loads they were achieving

Of course, the routes may just be dropped entirely and pax avail of options ex Bristol and Leeds/East Midlands/Manchester etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The statement from Flybe refers to replacement Q400's for the E-Jet's at Cardiff, majority of EU routes would probably cease but I don't see CWL-DUB ceasing, DSA potentially will as EIR couldn't make that work in 2010.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The statement from Flybe refers to replacement Q400's for the E-Jet's at Cardiff, majority of EU routes would probably cease but I don't see CWL-DUB ceasing, DSA potentially will as EIR couldn't make that work in 2010.
    According to Flybe, they are closing the base and serving some of the routes using Q400s which will be operated from other bases, so the only way the route will continue is if it's operate as a W route.

https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1592

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hmmm, I wonder how Ryanair will respond to the Flybe changes, they've recently started operating services from Exeter to Europe, I personally would love to see a DUB EXT W rotation which could also serve a European destination, and given Ryanair's ability to make routes work well, I could see a 737 being filled to Exeter without too many issues, and that would be a welcome change from not always daily, variable times and frequency Dash 8's that are a lot more expensive than the Ryanair routes to similar places.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

basill wrote: »
    With the JV soon to be signed off perhaps they can redeploy the airframes on higher yielding routes and leave AL to it.

Not sure it's close to being signed off. Jetblue have sought to consolidate (arguably opportunistically) Skyteam's and the Oneworld's JV alterations with view (I'd expect) to getting some of BE's and EI's LHR slots offered up to JetBlue.

Oneworld have presented a strong argument to quarantine EI, but the water seems a bit more muddied with Skyteam and BE. If the DoT makes the decision not to consolidate EI, I expect a quick wrap up. But if a decision is made to consolidate EI and EI are dragged into the position of surrendering slots I think the dynamics will change. Here is a summary of the arguments to date:

JetBlue: We want LHR slots!
    Delta/Virgin: Pick on Oneworld, they have 60% of them.
    Oneworld: Nothing to do with us, EI is an Irish airline based in DUB.

We should get an idea soon how the DoT is leaning. Skyteam could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Elaine762

sandbelter wrote: »
    Not sure it's close to being signed off. Jetblue have sought to consolidate (arguably opportunistically) Skyteam's and the Oneworld's JV alterations with view (I'd expect) to getting some of BE's and EI's LHR slots offered up to JetBlue.

Oneworld have presented a strong argument to quarantine EI, but the water seems a bit more muddied with Skyteam and BE. If the DoT makes the decision not to consolidate EI, I expect a quick wrap up. But if a decision is made to consolidate EI and EI are dragged into the position of surrendering slots I think the dynamics will change. Here is a summary of the arguments to date:

JetBlue: We want LHR slots!
    Delta/Virgin: Pick on Oneworld, they have 60% of them.
    Oneworld: Nothing to do with us, EI is an Irish airline based in DUB.

We should get an idea soon how the DoT is leaning. Skyteam could be interesting.

You don’t just offer a slot like that. Slots are sold and if they are in use, the airline is entitle to keep them. If they arent in use for a certain time thats another story. But in the case of Aer Lingus, those slots are all used daily .
    I don’t understand what you mean by wrap up Aer Lingus.
    Plus Oneworld didnt say anything in regards to aer lingus. It was the JV Venture of AA-FY-IB-BA who have requested this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elaine762 wrote: »
    You don’t just offer a slot like that. Slots are sold and if they are in use, the airline is entitle to keep them. If they arent in use for a certain time thats another story. But in the case of Aer Lingus, those slots are all used daily .
    Plus Oneworld didnt say anything in regards to aer lingus. It was the JV Venture of AA-FY-IB-BA who have requested this.

Slot divestment can be and often is ordered as part of a competition settlement. EI had to release Gatwick slots to Ryanair when IAG bought them, BA had to release slots for specific routes which were first used by Virgin and now by, well, Virgin (Flybe, which they've just bought) when they bought BMI

Other slots were released when the BA/AA deal was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

Elaine762 wrote: »

Correct ...there is no offer of slots nor has Oneworld raised them. My point was JetBlue were opportunistically hunting for them, whether they are successful is another matter. Frankly the matter is with the DoT for their consideration, my personal opinion is EI would probably withdraw from the JV application if LHR slots were at risk.

Wrap Up, I mean go through the legal steps to conclusion, but no legal surprises.

Nope, EI is one of the parties to the amended JV: Here is the application https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2008-0252-3427
    Again, correct, no mention of LHR by Oneworld or EI, these are to be found in Jetblue's submission of 3-1-2019 where EI gets roped in (P8) and P11 slots for new entrants is raised which you'll find here https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2013-0068-0056.

this is where jetblue seeks consolidation of the two JV applications.

As the DoT has expressed no opinion, it's not clear what they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Useful article outlining all new routes (so far) from Dublin in 2019:

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-summer-expected-at-dublin-airport

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

IQO wrote: »

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-summer-expected-at-dublin-airport

And I’m going to hazard a guess that ATC won’t have made any provisions for how busy Dublin will be this summer, can’t wait for the 50min taxi times and constant delays

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hi I am travelling on the A330 transatlantic with a 6 year old. Can anyone tell me what Jack I need to listen to the inflight entertainment. Its the saver fare as I am travelling light. What complimentary snack /food is giving. TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Locker10a wrote: »
    And I’m going to hazard a guess that ATC won’t have made any provisions for how busy Dublin will be this summer, can’t wait for the 50min taxi times and constant delays

Do they still do dual runway ops at peak times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Limpy wrote: »
    Hi I am travelling on the A330 transatlantic with a 6 year old. Can anyone tell me what Jack I need to listen to the inflight entertainment. Its the saver fare as I am travelling light. What complimentary snack /food is giving. TIA

Bog standard chicken or beef yoke on a tray.

Jack is a double socket although single jacks do work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

IQO wrote: »

66 flights a day, the vast majority on larger capacity planes, to North America is extremely impressive going. Great to read that (and all the other growth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Do they still do dual runway ops at peak times?

Yes but its a bonus rather than a guarantee, as it is very dependant on wind direction and a whole host of other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Blut2 wrote: »
    66 flights a day, the vast majority on larger capacity planes, to North America is extremely impressive going. Great to read that (and all the other growth).

It's 66 to or from (i.e. counting arrivals as well as departures) - still impressive, of course.

Advertisement