Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Any reason why Eithad were using the 787-10 the last few days ?

Locker10a wrote: »
    And I’m going to hazard a guess that ATC won’t have made any provisions for how busy Dublin will be this summer, can’t wait for the 50min taxi times and constant delays

It's called A-CDM.

https://www.dublinairport.com/regulation-and-planning/regulatory/airport-cdm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah but rather than a 50 min taxi time it'll be a 35 min wait at the gate. Let's hope there's enough stands available otherwise we'll have to start "push and holds".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is no change to number of flights during peak hours and even most of the day so taxi times at peak hours shouldn't change to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

jconn wrote: »
    hi folks

I am watching the Dub>Barcelona (El Prat) Ryanair flights for end of June, they seem to be 300/400 dearer thank last summer at the same time.

I have the campsite booked, family holiday (2 adults, 3 kids) but am getting a little concerned about waiting any longer to book flights, any advice at this stage 4 months out...book them or wait a while longer?

thanks

Still no sign of the Ryanair flights coming down in price for end of June Dub>Barca, same for Knock>Girona and Dub>Perpignan. Vueling also still expensive.
    I think Madrid is too long of a drive with 3 kids in tow so looking at a Stansted stopover on the way which might work if Brexit is postponed!
    Also Lufthansa seem to have a Dublin>Munich>Barca option with a short stopover which may work out too.
    I may give Ryanair a couple more weeks and see but I'm reluctant to leave it until May which is 6 weeks out or we may end up getting the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Stansted in peak season will be quite unpleasant and queue lengths will be long. Don't do it with a family in tow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

If you decide to take a connection Munich is one of the easiest airports for a transfer in Europe. Zürich and Amsterdam are good as well. You don't have to reclear security coming from Ireland unlike most airports. I wouldn't go near Stansted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

rivegauche wrote: »
    Stansted in peak season will be quite unpleasant and queue lengths will be long. Don't do it with a family in tow.

fasttrack would be an option, could be costly for family though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

jconn wrote: »
    Still no sign of the Ryanair flights coming down in price for end of June Dub>Barca, same for Knock>Girona and Dub>Perpignan. Vueling also still expensive.
    I think Madrid is too long of a drive with 3 kids in tow so looking at a Stansted stopover on the way which might work if Brexit is postponed!
    Also Lufthansa seem to have a Dublin>Munich>Barca option with a short stopover which may work out too.
    I may give Ryanair a couple more weeks and see but I'm reluctant to leave it until May which is 6 weeks out or we may end up getting the ferry.

How much is the saving with LH via Munich compared to direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

rivegauche wrote: »
    Stansted will be quite unpleasant. Don't do it.

Slightly adjusted!

Seriously, Stansted is an awful place at the best of times. I'd avoid it where possible all the time. I could not imagine it with kids, my god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How much is the saving with LH via Munich compared to direct?

saw them on google flights via Munich for €300 less, but no longer it seems, maybe those prices will reappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Idbatterim wrote: »

What's up with the huge Middle/Far East decline? Considering there're several new routes since last year that's a fairly dramatic drop

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's up with the huge Middle/Far East decline? Considering there're several new routes since last year that's a fairly dramatic drop
    Etihad going to 1 daily is likely a large contributor to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    Etihad going to 1 daily is likely a large contributor to that.

And some transfer traffic changing to Aeroflot also I'd think has made some difference.

L1011 wrote: »
    And some transfer traffic changing to Aeroflot also I'd think has made some difference.

Yeah good point actually, I know a few different people planning on using Aeroflot this summer to the Far East & SEA

Still surprising though considering we've had Cathay and both Hainan routes added, March last year was artificially low as well with the blizzard at the start of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sandbelter

is it possible Easter being in late April this year (whereas last year it was April 1) would have had an effect?

This would have seen more traffic generated in march with school holidays starting Mar 30, this year its mid April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Yeah good point actually, I know a few different people planning on using Aeroflot this summer to the Far East & SEA

Still surprising though considering we've had Cathay and both Hainan routes added, March last year was artificially low as well with the blizzard at the start of the month

Hainan loads have been fairly small as of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I flew on Ryanair's inaugural flight from Dublin to Bordeaux last week. When we arrived in the terminal there was no passport control waiting for us. Eventually one of the passengers picked up the courtesy phone to enquire was there anybody going to let us pass through.
    A flurry of individuals appeared. Apparently they were not expecting us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I flew on Ryanair's inaugural flight from Dublin to Bordeaux last week. When we arrived in the terminal there was no passport control waiting for us. Eventually one of the passengers picked up the courtesy phone to enquire was there anybody going to let us pass through.
    A flurry of individuals appeared. Apparently they were not expecting us?

Last year I flew to the Canaries from Dublin on Ryanair and there was no one at passport control. We all walked straight through with no passport checks whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Trampas

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Last year I flew to the Canaries from Dublin on Ryanair and there was no one at passport control. We all walked straight through with no passport checks whatsoever.

I did that also. Was in baggage area and was like no passport control. Maybe they trust us so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hainan loads have been fairly small as of late

And Shenzen? I have a friend flying out on CP next week, when they are back I'll enquire how full/empty the planes were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

And Shenzen? I have a friend flying out on CP next week, when they are back I'll enquire how full/empty the planes were.

Yup. I was dealing with one of the Shenzhen flights last week. 15 crew and 19 pax.... They could well be breaking even depending on what's in the hold though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yup. I was dealing with one of the Shenzhen flights last week. 15 crew and 19 pax.... They could well be breaking even depending on what's in the hold though

Only 19 pax on a B787 :eek:

Probably would have been cheaper to hire in a private jet for them! (Your point re cargo aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

TK seem to be upguaging the afternoon flight to Istanbul to an A321 from May, the first flight seems to be changing to a Max9.

Seems to be mostly A321 since the start of the month. It looks like it is A321 (mostly neo) operated from now on with the winter schedule showing A321-only for the afternoon flight. Tuesdays and Saturdays are mainly 737-800/900ER days though. The winter schedule is obviously subject to change but it's nice to see the A321s back as regulars to DUB. My last time getting an A321 from DUB to IST was in July 2015. The morning flight will continue to be 737-900ER operated because of the MAX groundings.

I am guessing we will see a few TK A330s over the summer too since they have been cropping up once or twice a summer for the last two or three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Seems to be mostly A321 since the start of the month. It looks like it is A321 (mostly neo) operated from now on with the winter schedule showing A321-only for the afternoon flight. Tuesdays and Saturdays are mainly 737-800/900ER days though. The winter schedule is obviously subject to change but it's nice to see the A321s back as regulars to DUB. My last time getting an A321 from DUB to IST was in July 2015. The morning flight will continue to be 737-900ER operated because of the MAX groundings.

I am guessing we will see a few TK A330s over the summer too since they have been cropping up once or twice a summer for the last two or three years.

Wonder with the new airport if we’ll see a third daily frequency or one switched to A330.

Wonder with the new airport if we’ll see a third daily frequency or one switched to A330.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an additional 4 or 5 weekly flight operated by a 737-800 (or a 737 MAX 8 when the issues are solved). I still think we might have to wait a bit more for a regular A330... however maybe when TK start taking delivery of their A350s/787s, more A330s will be freed up and maybe DUB will eventually get them more regularly.

TK mentioned using DUB as a stopover for flights to Mexico once the new airport opened. With all the messing and drama over Mexico's new airport though I'd still doubt it'll happen in the short term

TK mentioned using DUB as a stopover for flights to Mexico once the new airport opened. With all the messing and drama over Mexico's new airport though I'd still doubt it'll happen in the short term

I think they changed their mind. The routing looks like IST-MEX-CUN-IST if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm not an expert on assessing market demands for routes by any means but something about this route announcement didn't jump out at me as a pent up, untapped demand route. Maybe because it was barely announced before inaugural date with zero promotion (compare to DFW route from AA getting 9 months of advance marketing) or the fact Cathay Pacific already fly direct from Dublin to Hong Kong only 25kms away. We had no direct routes to this part of the world this time last year - can we really sustain 3 high load profitable routes less than one year later?

It could be an awareness of where or what the city offers. I thought I was pretty good with geography but I wouldn't have even of heard of Shenzhen 5 years ago and would not have picked it out on a map until now. I know it's considered a Silicon Docks of China but I think Hainan were premature with adding a second route so soon after Beijing. I could be wrong of course.

Advertisement