Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It’s a short term fix.

I don’t see a need for a third terminal per se - rather developing the satellites to the west and the additional piers off pier D and off pier E as per the current DAA masterplan for the airport.

Remember a new terminal would require duplicating public transport links and would be nowhere near the planned metro link.

The issue in Dublin right now is not terminal capacity but stand availability.

I don't necessarily agree. In T1, Immigration is packed, baggage hall is packed, check-in is packed, security is chaos. Immigration hall is being expanded, but that's just going to increase queueing area, I can't see how they're going to increase actual processing capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't necessarily agree. In T1, Immigration is packed, baggage hall is packed, check-in is packed, security is chaos. Immigration hall is being expanded, but that's just going to increase queueing area, I can't see how they're going to increase actual processing capacity.

All planned to be expanded.

I dont agree check-in, security or immigration have excessive processing times. Yes there are odd issues.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    All planned to be expanded.

I dont agree check-in, security or immigration have excessive processing times. Yes there are odd issues.

I don't necessarily mean excessive times (except Security). It's the lack of space, I'm referring to. Immigration for the most part has been fairly quick 90% of the time, but it's at bursting point. I don't see how the baggage hall can be expanded really, nor check-in (unless security is moved to mezzanine level, which was mooted).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don't necessarily mean excessive times (except Security). It's the lack of space, I'm referring to. Immigration for the most part has been fairly quick 90% of the time, but it's at bursting point. I don't see how the baggage hall can be expanded really, nor check-in (unless security is moved to mezzanine level, which was mooted).

There is a lot of wasted space up on that mezzanine level in T1.

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is a lot of wasted space up on that mezzanine level in T1.

Yep. If putting security there is feasible, it should be done. Would fix quite a few of the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yep. If putting security there is feasible, it should be done. Would fix quite a few of the issues.

It will be going there.
    I don't necessarily mean excessive times (except Security). It's the lack of space, I'm referring to. Immigration for the most part has been fairly quick 90% of the time, but it's at bursting point.

In terms of Check-In will be revamped and look like T2 (plus more bag drop) however airlines have control over staffing so lack of space is usually down to insufficient staffing for the most part.

Would need to look at Immigration plans to see if any extra lanes will be in place.

Ryanair believe the number of passengers per hour in T1 should be much higher than currently permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It’s a short term fix.

I don’t see a need for a third terminal per se - rather developing the satellites to the west and the additional piers off pier D and off pier E as per the current DAA masterplan for the airport.

Remember a new terminal would require duplicating public transport links and would be nowhere near the planned metro link.

The issue in Dublin right now is not terminal capacity but stand availability.

How many more years will they manage with the amount of check in desks currently in T2 with the current rate of growth? Its very busy pretty much all the time

How much a320 sized aircraft will be able to park on the west apron

Minimum 16 in the southern section and another 5of varying sizes in the northern section of the west apron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

ep. If putting security there is feasible, it should be done. Would fix quite a few of the issues.
    Not sure how - moving deckchairs - key issues in T1 Screening is belt speed and number of belts running both of which can be solved in place and are not being addressed ... looks like just a wheeze to get more shopping space in the corridor

T2 screening *actually* has a space issue where the older single present style mitigates against faster engagement but at least they sometimes fully staff the belts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    Not sure how - moving deckchairs - key issues in T1 Screening is belt speed and number of belts running both of which can be solved in place and are not being addressed ... looks like just a wheeze to get more shopping space in the corridor

T2 screening *actually* has a space issue where the older single present style mitigates against faster engagement but at least they sometimes fully staff the belts.

Well for one it allows more check in desks and probably shopping too, so that’s expansion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Éireann on their website are saying a lot of dry weather this week with some showers. Doesn’t sound that bad at all unless I am missing something. Saturday was a cloudy day in Dublin but yesterday was quite nice, spent most of the day in the park. I think August has been fine so far with temps around 20 degrees. Not sure what all the fuss is about. There was that one night where it lashed rain but by the time I was heading to work it was dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Met Éireann on their website are saying a lot of dry weather this week with some showers. Doesn’t sound that bad at all unless I am missing something. Saturday was a cloudy day in Dublin but yesterday was quite nice, spent most of the day in the park. I think August has been fine so far with temps around 20 degrees. Not sure what all the fuss is about. There was that one night where it lashed rain but by the time I was heading to work it was dry

This might be posted the wrong thread buddy!

This might be posted the wrong thread buddy!

Haha noted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They need to upgrade to what is now increasingly done at UK airports. Room for 6 or 7 people to be unpacking bags at once and then shuffled through the metal detectors. T1 and T2 at Dublin still only have 1 unloading at once and its much slower.

They need to upgrade to what is now increasingly done at UK airports. Room for 6 or 7 people to be unpacking bags at once and then shuffled through the metal detectors. T1 and T2 at Dublin still only have 1 unloading at once and its much slower.

Does t1 not have multiple unloading spots, could have sworn they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I think terminal 1 has this now but not terminal two. Agree that this is good practoce as is feeding the trays from underneath and not risking losing your fingers with the current system.

T1 has multiple unloading spots , T2 does not . They could put up a few video screens showing people how to use them though while they are queueing.

I've changed my mind a little , the main reason I see unfamiliar people slowing down with them is people trying to fit everything into one basket , many people dont' realise that magically theres another basket appears underneath when you lift the first one out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭blackwhite

trellheim wrote: »
    T1 has multiple unloading spots , T2 does not . They could put up a few video screens showing people how to use them though while they are queueing.

I've changed my mind a little , the main reason I see unfamiliar people slowing down with them is people trying to fit everything into one basket , many people dont' realise that magically theres another basket appears underneath when you lift the first one out

they had them when I last went through T1 back in April.

Didn't stop some idiots from all queuing up at the one unloading spot closest to the scanner though, and ignoring the other ones because they were further back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://fora.ie/hainan-airlines-dublin-china-flights-4762493-Aug2019/

Official update on Shenzhen discontinuation and Beijing "on hold" until 2020.

How is it that laymen on this forum here could easily question the lack of viability when Shenzhen was announced back in Feb yet Hainan's their own presumably highly paid market researchers couldn't? Launching a route to a destination 30kms from another barely introduced route by Cathay Pacific seemed like madness to me at the time and unfortunately has proven so...they seemed to overestimate the viability of Beijing also it seems..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://fora.ie/hainan-airlines-dublin-china-flights-4762493-Aug2019/

Official update on Shenzhen discontinuation and Beijing "on hold" until 2020.

How is it that laymen on this forum here could easily question the lack of viability when Shenzhen was announced back in Feb yet Hainan's their own presumably highly paid market researchers couldn't? Launching a route to a destination 30kms from another barely introduced route by Cathay Pacific seemed like madness to me at the time and unfortunately has proven so...they seemed to overestimate the viability of Beijing also it seems..

Hainan have a long history of launching routes to hurt Cathay Pacific. They own Hong Kong airlines, so anything they can do to hurt Cathay might benefit them in the long run.

It was all beginning to fall apart for the HNA group until recently. Central government bailed them out, then the co-founder died in a “fall”. The banking group is still in major trouble, the various airlines all had unpaid bills to MROs, airports etc. Airbus stopped delivering new aircraft to them over unpaid bills, although that was subsequently resolved. There’s been a Chinese government policy of doing everything to diminish Hong Kong’s importance to ease their inevitable quashing of freedoms in the territory.

• Advertisement

Dublin airport will hardly notice due to the sheer volume of direct flights from Dublin to North America with various different airlines. This will definitely hurt Shannon and cork. I don’t think cork will have any direct access to North America now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Dublin airport will hardly notice due to the sheer volume of direct flights from Dublin to North America with various different airlines. This will definitely hurt Shannon and cork. I don’t think cork will have any direct access to North America now

It won't hurt Cork, the airports pax and traffic volumes are still growing positively excluding NAI. It's disappointing the airport had a short stint with a US route but Cork's hopes for a performing transatlantic service would be with JetBlue and the potential of the A321neoLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Good news for Aer Lingus at least. I'd imagine a lot of the Cork/Shannon passengers will be making the trip to Dublin now onto their flights, as well as Dublin passengers who would have flown Norwegian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Norwegian dropping DUB TATL flights from Oct. Sad to see but it was always going to happen!

RTÉ won’t let me copy the link on mobile but it’s on the website

Edit: ahh someone got there before me.... 3 hours before me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Blut2 wrote: »
    Good news for Aer Lingus at least. I'd imagine a lot of the Cork/Shannon passengers will be making the trip to Dublin now onto their flights, as well as Dublin passengers who would have flown Norwegian.

Or flying to the states via the the uk, instead of Dublin. This ridiculous comment , that will be made here. “ oh it’s only two and a half hours to Dublin by motorway “! Oh is it ? In light traffic with no accidents ? What’s the time of you get unfortunate or have to travel up at peak times, even if your flight isn’t at peak time ? I have stayed in the airport the night before long haul flights , rather than risk missing a flight due to being stuck on the m50 if there’s a crash , which has happened to me many times , just not on the way to the airport thank god. The joys of living in a European capital with third world infrastructure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Or flying to the states via the the uk, instead of Dublin. This ridiculous comment , that will be made here. “ oh it’s only two and a half hours to Dublin by motorway “! Oh is it ? In light traffic with no accidents ? What’s the time of you get unfortunate or have to travel up at peak times, even if your flight isn’t at peak time ? I have stayed in the airport the night before long haul flights , rather than risk missing a flight due to being stuck on the m50 if there’s a crash , which has happened to me many times , just not on the way to the airport thank god. The joys of living in a European capital with third world infrastructure!

Which elements of Dublin’s infrastructure would you classify as third world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Which elements of Dublin’s infrastructure would you classify as third world?

An airport that will handle close to thirty five million this year , ten km from city centre not having a rail connection. Ah airport that won’t have one for nearly a decade , an airport that could be hitting close to fifty million before it might eventually gets one. After two economic booms!

And the planned rail link being on the same scale as Edinburgh's airport tram i.e. slow coach to town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    An airport that will handle close to thirty five million this year , ten km from city centre not having a rail connection. Ah airport that won’t have one for nearly a decade , an airport that could be hitting close to fifty million before it might eventually gets one. After two economic booms!

The main international gateway to the Capital of the USA (IAD) doesn't have one either. Albeit it is being built.

Fwiw I think the 747 does a pretty good job though it should be 24hrs.

Advertisement