Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davebuck

We can't affect global economic problems however the failure of the DAA to invest in infrastructure worthy of a hub airport is a real indictment.

Pinning blame gets us no where but as of now there is no significant terminal infrastructure under construction. Literally none. Which is mind boggling.

That's possibly hurting us already in terms of prospective routes though it's hard to say. Hard to see it as not a factor.

There has been very few major route announcements from Dublin in the past while which is quite concerning.

The DAA/Regulator whoever need to get the finger out and get things moving because of the lead in time for new capacity as well.

And lets not mention the ludicrous restrictions fiasco with the new runway (not DAA's fault, I know).

Incompetence catches up eventually.

Fly out through pier 1 last week Thursday evening at 6pm it was packed and could hardly take any more additional flights. there was constant gates changes all the time to add to the confusion. How the DAA chief feels the existing terminals can cope with additional gates and cater up to 50M is beyond me. The pace of construction around the airport is not convincing either that much new work/projects are underway to provide more space!!!!
    There was a couple of long haul aircraft waiting for stands on piers 3+4 today as I arrived back around 11am again lack of facilities....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree, and that could be the difference between winning routes and not winning routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

In fairness they might be right to wait for a downturn before kicking off major building projects - costs are soaring and soaring in anything that involves construction at the moment. But other than that it’s difficult to discern a reason for there not to be a major strategic push on infrastructure here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Taking UA22 in a couple of weeks. What is immigration like these days at 7am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Taking UA22 in a couple of weeks. What is immigration like these days at 7am?

Should be grand, you'd be one of the first through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

thats the first CBP flight out of the morning so it should be quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/one-person-files-over-3-100-complaints-about-dublin-airport-noise-in-six-months-1.3965098

Have to say I find this bizarre that an Ongar resident lodged over 3000 complaints in 6 months (more than 20 a day...how does someone have that much time to do that....) over aircraft noise relating to aircraft landings or take offs from DUB!!! That suggests erratic or unhinged behavior of an individual rather than an actual noise issue. I live in Ongar and can assure you noise from aircraft is minimal to barely or not noticeable at all here. We are west of Blanchardstown almost 20kms from the airport. Interestingly a second Ongar resident was also one of the top 3 complainants.

Something strange or vendetta like going on here surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Landed back in Dublin earlier on flight EI487 which was 25 minutes late which is no big deal really. Unfortunately we were sitting on the plane for the best part of 50 minutes from the time we landed until we got off the plane. There didn't seem to be anyone available to guide the plane in or ground crew to direct passengers off the plane. Then we had the long walk back through T1 to the T2 passport control. Not very impressive really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

nc6000 wrote: »
    Landed back in Dublin earlier on flight EI487 which was 25 minutes late which is no big deal really. Unfortunately we were sitting on the plane for the best part of 50 minutes from the time we landed until we got off the plane. There didn't seem to be anyone available to guide the plane in or ground crew to direct passengers off the plane. Then we had the long walk back through T1 to the T2 passport control. Not very impressive really.

This sort of carry on is all to common and really not acceptable. Hopefully next summer will be better with this use of the West apron parking stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »
    This sort of carry on is all to common and really not acceptable. Hopefully next summer will be better with this use of the West apron parking stands.

That won’t solve the problem quoted though - that is down to a lack of available ground handling staff last night (well early this morning).

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/one-person-files-over-3-100-complaints-about-dublin-airport-noise-in-six-months-1.3965098

Have to say I find this bizarre that an Ongar resident lodged over 3000 complaints in 6 months (more than 20 a day...how does someone have that much time to do that....) over aircraft noise relating to aircraft landings or take offs from DUB!!! That suggests erratic or unhinged behavior of an individual rather than an actual noise issue. I live in Ongar and can assure you noise from aircraft is minimal to barely or not noticeable at all here. We are west of Blanchardstown almost 20kms from the airport. Interestingly a second Ongar resident was also one of the top 3 complainants.

Something strange or vendetta like going on here surely?

I live in the area too and often hear planes going directly overhead. I seem to be under a spot (Coolmine/Clonsilla side) where they regularly make turns to the east, so if you're closer to the Clonee side maybe it's not as noticeable. They are definitely loud enough to hear, but not particularly disruptive. I don't think the complainant is making it up, but it's ridiculous to get so worked up about it. All part and parcel of living relatively close to an airport and under a well used flight path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Irishnidge wrote: »
    Dublin 15 is a flight path to Dublin airport get over it

Excellent advice there Nidge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You'd just wonder where this airport would be better placed, in the opinions of the NIMBY neighbours.

I'd imagine their answer is within their title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You'd just wonder where this airport would be better placed, in the opinions of the NIMBY neighbours.

I'd imagine their answer is within their title.

I flew through ROV earlier this week. The airport is approximately 30km outside the city it was built to serve.

The old airport was much more central but I guess they had neighbor issues too.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just heading through Fast Track for my Kerry flight, the agent confirmed all domestic departures, Kerry and Donegal, include fast track access as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭sherology

TLV being served by EL AL from next year. EI really should'a jumped on this route with the LR. Plenty of business and connection traffic. Maybe they could codeshare/interline to North America - sun routes?

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/El-Al-to-launch-flights-to-Dublin-Dusseldorf-599918

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Even just to avoid flying EL AL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Exactly the security requirements EL AL enforce are disproportionate and invasive, would be fun to see how they deal with complaints under equal status act.

I've seen passengers reduced to tears in other EU airports when summoned to a windowless room for what appeared to be a very intimate search.

Politically EI would be best stay away from Israel too much hassle and the onboard games of trying to seat people onboard is a nightmare for many carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Would have thought Ryanair was the more obvious candidate as they already have quite a lot of routes from both DUB and TLV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

In fairness, every crew I've ever asked whe operates to either as to their least favourite destination to operate to has either said Tel Aviv or Lagos.

The CC get a horrendous time of it to Israel. Passengers playing musical chairs because they want to sit beside their friend or refuse to sit beside a woman, asking every female staff member is it their time of the month because they can't interact with any woman who is, and then all the security. EI are better off without TLV in the network imo.

I'll be interested to see what taxi procedures El Al demand in DUB. In many airports they won't use taxiways within a certain proximity to public roads so it'll be interesting to see if they are willing to use the Sierras or will backtrack 10/28. That’ll be great fun for the tower and anyone holding behind them for arrival or departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

HTCOne wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see what taxi procedures El Al demand in DUB. In many airports they won't use taxiways within a certain proximity to public roads so it'll be interesting to see if they are willing to use the Sierras or will backtrack 10/28. That’ll be great fun for the tower and anyone holding behind them for arrival or departure.

El Al have visited DUB in the past and Arkia have had a summer weekly charter also, and no obvious additional measures have been adopted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'll be interested to see what taxi procedures El Al demand in DUB. In many airports they won't use taxiways within a certain proximity to public roads

What's their logic for this?

kmart6 wrote: »
    What's their logic for this?

Fear of attack from an RPG or someone trying to pepper the aircraft with gunfire, lob a grenade etc.

There was a close call with a couple of shoulder fired missiles somewhere in Africa after 9/11 IIRC, ever since their aircraft are fitted with flares and other anti missile tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Figured it must be something like that but surely the airline isn't allowed dictate what runway the want to use?

Figured it must be something like that but surely the airline isn't allowed dictate what runway the want to use?

They arrange special procedures with the airport/ATC in advance. Never mentioned runways but actually the Captain can refuse anything they want to refuse! They’ll just have to wait until what they want becomes available. Nearly every day 16/34 is in use a heavy will need 10/28, they just have to wait for ATC to make a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭jd

Taxiways, not runways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Fear of attack from an RPG or someone trying to pepper the aircraft with gunfire, lob a grenade etc.

There was a close call with a couple of shoulder fired missiles somewhere in Africa after 9/11 IIRC, ever since their aircraft are fitted with flares and other anti missile tech.

Why are they so security conscious or am I asking a really stupid question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There is a history of attempted attacks on Israeli civilian aircraft from PLO in the 70s with shoulder-held missiles in Italy and more recently, RPGs in Africa. Might dig up better details tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

EchoIndia wrote: »
    El Al have visited DUB in the past and Arkia have had a summer weekly charter also, and no obvious additional measures have been adopted.

I’ve seen it on numerous occasions surrounded by airport police vehicles while on stand! Lights flashing and all! Then once it’s ready to push they disappear and off she goes

Advertisement