Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1718/kw
    Flybe Doncaster to Dublin cut confirmed although mentioned here months ago.

You'd think that Ryanair or Laudamotion would pick it up from either the Palma or Dublin side but they've probably got other priorities these days and better prospects elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dublin Airport reports +3% increase in traffic for October. A few key markets showing small decline but Continental Europe performing very well.
    Asia pacific will have been impacted by the Hainan cancellation and direct flights with Cathay i think is not starting up again until March. I think the middle east routes are performing very well based on recent media coverage from Emirates. Presumably Etihand and Qatar also doing well but not sure. UK down only 1% which is not bad considering the current environment.

Emirates is doing very well out of Dublin, I have traveled to Dubai extensively for work for the last 12 months and both daily flights are pretty much full even outside the Dubai tourist season when the weather there is oppressive, I assume the bulk of people are connecting onwards to India, SE Asia, NZ and Aus. Have also flown to Doha a few times, and again all flights pretty much full everytime. Not flown to Abu Dhabi on Etihad, but I would expect the same to be true, as it is just another connectivity hub to the East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

rivegauche wrote: »
    https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1718/kw
    Flybe Doncaster to Dublin cut confirmed although mentioned here months ago.

You'd think that Ryanair or Laudamotion would pick it up from either the Palma or Dublin side but they've probably got other priorities these days and better prospects elsewhere

Pity, Sheffield which is very easily accessible from Doncaster is a seriously nice and friendly city, very friendly in fact. Plenty of culture and thing to fit in in a couple of days. Flew into that airport and it’s a nice experience.

Juneyao airlines have applied to operate twice weekly Shanghai-Helsinki-Dublin flights for next summer with 787-9’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

I wish some other carrier would go back on Dublin-London , southends gone awful now FR have got Flybe out and with Stobart and City wearing a green tshirt its all looking a bit stitch up with BA just creaming LHR hubbing and LCY high value pax ( cant blame BA for this) its really fortress Dublin I am disliking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gatwick or Stansted with Ryanair.

Stansted is awful but cheap. Gatwick is the best of the non-London-City airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

trellheim wrote: »
    I wish some other carrier would go back on Dublin-London , southends gone awful now FR have got Flybe out and with Stobart and City wearing a green tshirt its all looking a bit stitch up with BA just creaming LHR hubbing and LCY high value pax ( cant blame BA for this) its really fortress Dublin I am disliking

Only options are Wizz UK to LTN which seems highly unlikely or Easy to Gatwick, Luton or Stansted, maybe with their newly acquired Thomas Cook slots at Gatwick they might give it a go, it was rumoured about a year ago they were gonna announce LGW-DUB.

My point is its really only a harp or a shamrock to dublin it feels like theres plenty of needs for more seats

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EICVD wrote: »
    Only options are Wizz UK to LTN which seems highly unlikely or Easy to Gatwick, Luton or Stansted, maybe with their newly acquired Thomas Cook slots at Gatwick they might give it a go, it was rumoured about a year ago they were gonna announce LGW-DUB.

It was but it was a typo and I think it was actually DUS that was they route they were looking into

My point is its really only a harp or a shamrock to dublin it feels like theres plenty of needs for more seats

I think Dublin has actually more airlines serving it than ever before, but on Dublin-LON it’s the choice of 3 basically. No more low cost airlines will enter Dublin- London, it’s the home of Ryanair and a core route for them, they’ll never allow anyone else come in on it.

• Advertisement

No more low cost airlines will enter Dublin- London, it’s the home of Ryanair and a core route for them, they’ll never allow anyone else come in on it.

common fleet aside

I know but I wish sometimes they'd perhaps consider a bigger plane for those routes, with very little slot give on both perhaps the time has come to think bigger than 320/738,

If you look many Dublin London routes sell out all the time at the moment ( credit to their sales teams ) but its a pain for business to go see someone at short notice as even if you want to pay lots of money the routes are just sold out

common fleet aside

I know but I wish sometimes they'd perhaps consider a bigger plane for those routes, with very little slot give on both perhaps the time has come to think bigger than 320/738,

If you look many Dublin London routes sell out all the time at the moment ( credit to their sales teams ) but its a pain for business to go see someone at short notice as even if you want to pay lots of money the routes are just sold out

I’ve never struggled to find a seat between Dublin and London and I commuted on the route so I’ve a fair bit of experience.
    Both EI and BA could use bigger planes, they choose not to, BA sometimes have an a321 on DUB-LHR, but they also use a319s sometimes.
    When EI ordered their a321s 20 years ago, they were purchased primarily for Dublin to London Heathrow.
    Today they are rarely seen there, the market has obviously changed and frequency is king, that’s why EI serve London pretty much every hour on an a320. Same with Ryanair, they won’t get a bigger aircraft with more seats when the market wants frequency and options rather than bigger planes.
    The airlines clearly know this.
    The only time i see bigger planes on a London route is if number of flighs become restricted or airports slot restricted etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Locker10a wrote: »
    Today they are rarely seen there, the market has obviously changed and frequency is king, that’s why EI serve London pretty much every hour on an a320. Same with Ryanair, they won’t get a bigger aircraft with more seats when the market wants frequency and options rather than bigger planes.
    The airlines clearly know this.

Back before the crash Aer Lingus advertising in LHR pretty much sang about the hourly flight from one end of the day to the other. It's almost the same today except for some 2 hour gaps around 1120-1330 and 1330-1530. It's a bus journey route.

For London more generally, on Tuesday 3 Dec you can catch 4 flights to London at 0630 alone to have you in an office in the city before 10am. The cheapest flight is €10 to STN and the most expensive €86 to LCY. Anyone trying to muscle into that market is mad. It's very American almost. But at the same time, the prices aren't exorbitant even with 2.5 players (EI+BA, FR) in it.

Try and get home from London this Thursday on a one-way after 6pm and all bar one flight is clocking in over 300

As I said above - short notice travel - not same day, but in a day or two when there is a need and it can't be anticipated

specifically NOT commuting travel as thats easy to plan out in front

And before anyone steps in with "oh its more expensive the nearer to departure" - I know all that - I am referring to the lack of reasonably priced seats a couple of days out not same day

Try and get home from London this Thursday on a one-way after 6pm and all bar one flight is clocking in over 300

As I said above - short notice travel - not same day, but in a day or two when there is a need and it can't be anticipated

And before anyone steps in with "oh its more expensive the nearer to departure" - I know all that - I am referring to the lack of reasonably priced seats a couple of days out not same day

Naturally you want reasonably priced seats, we all do, but these are commercial airlines, and they do sell very cheap tickets, when you want to go last minute they’ll be pricy, it’s how they make money, they’re a business.

Yeah that very specific configuration is expensive. Actually going the other way on Thursday you can get to London for €26 on the same time criteria. I'd bet that's because the flights home are pretty full and airlines are entitled to sell the last seat for a high margin. To be honest I think Dublin is still competitive and actually beats a lot of the US fortresses by a wide margin. For example, not scientific but... One of the busiest comparable routes in the US is LAX-SFO. One way on 3 Dec, 2 weeks from now, €57 with Alaska. Look for that flight this Thursday and you'll get it for €58, after 6pm and all. However, try and get it Thursday after 6pm SFO-LAX and it's €174 quite like London-Dublin; but you're also paying 5.7x the fare to get there versus our €10 cheap seats.

I think Dublin to London is well priced, and more keenly so than other busy city pairings thanks to the fierce competition between the 2.5 and the airports on the other end.

Yeah that very specific configuration is expensive
    Its not very specific, its quite frequently nasty pricing like that if you have to go at short notice midweek and dont even talk to me about next day travel , it should have eased off October/November but it hasn't . Also your example SFO-LAX is 58% of the price I'm talking about , mine is a oneway not a return .

I really do think they need bigger aircraft on the route every single one i am on is jammed and both ends are full airports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Its not very specific, its quite frequently nasty pricing like that if you have to go at short notice midweek and dont even talk to me about next day travel , it should have eased off October/November but it hasn't . Also your example SFO-LAX is 58% of the price I'm talking about , mine is a oneway not a return .

I really do think they need bigger aircraft on the route every single one i am on is jammed and both ends are full airports

You just said that every flight was available though so the issue isn’t that there isn’t enough seats. It’s just revenue management, if there was 100 seats empty EI might still try and get 300 each way if they think people will pay.

But surely that’s the goal for airlines!! Full flights and good yield on fares. Big empty planes wouldn’t be commercially viable, standard shorthaul jets at high frequency is the formula that clearly works.
    As I said if EI and BA wanted they could add bigger planes, they choose not to. They do it for other routes like EI use the 330 on Spanish and Portuguese flights, they don’t do that on London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hate to say it, but Southend - Dublin on Thursday for an ~8pm flight is €12!

Yes, I know, Southend, but still for that saving.

• Advertisement

Hate to say it, but Southend - Dublin on Thursday for an ~8pm flight is €12!

Yes, I know, Southend, but still for that saving.

It's a complete bus route. In fairness getting to LCY for less than €90 is also pretty good value considering the hassle it saves you. I guess that despite Dublin being a fortress for a handful of airlines, it's still an extremely competitive market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Idbatterim wrote: »

I wonder how many more passengers they can squeeze in via the single runway and 2 terminals before its considered not safe. The slots for the take off and landing into the airport must be near capacity surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

dave 27 wrote: »
    I wonder how many more passengers they can squeeze in via the single runway and 2 terminals before its considered not safe. The slots for the take off and landing into the airport must be near capacity surely?

ryanair with the maxes, could use them into dublin, thats only a very small capacity increase though. I suppose in the shorter term, the likes of the middle eastern carriers etc, might just have to start using larger aircraft ...

Really hope Jetblue launch out of dublin, which you would have to reckon is nearly top of the pile of likely destinations, after london...

dave 27 wrote: »

At peak times there's a traffic jam. But the likes of Emirates and the TATL services actually operate to a pretty well defined schedule of outbound and inbound, and so spreading the demand in the airport to times when there's plenty of slots isn't really a runner. The pinch points need to be expanded, which is partially solved by the 2nd runway and is partially still a problem in terms of delays caused by stand availability and the cul de sacs that exist in the airport thanks to its geographic layout.

The two terminals I'd say have a bit left in them, it's the space for aircraft that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Route to Antalya possibly to be announced for next year at some stage. Not sure its fully confirmed yet.

Probably over 10 years since the last weekly charterers.

Sun Express also adding a second weekly on Izmir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Initial 2020 report at DUB, one or two interesting ones. In relation to Aer Lingus starting all those failed routes, I suspect slot sitting in place. Mahon could happen IMO.

Notable planned new:
    Westjet YYZ
    Egypt Cairo
    Juneyao - SIN
    LOT - WAW

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/DUB-S20-Initial-Coordination-Report.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Juneyao - SIN

You got me hugely excited there – since I have to go to Singapore a few times each year – but I've a feeling you actually meant PVG.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Noxegon wrote: »
    You got me hugely excited there – since I have to go to Singapore a few times each year – but I've a feeling you actually meant PVG.

Unfortunately I think you're correct. From that PDF:

Juneyao Airlines Co Ltd NEW Shanghai service via Helsinki

Not even properly direct, either.

If Hong Kong continues its economic slide though, and it impacts Cathay's DUB service, I'd imagine there would definitely be a market for a direct SIN flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BE down as "decrease" Doncaster when it's actually cancelled isn't it?

Advertisement