Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Try landing in an airport like Doha and being on a remote stand that takes 20/30 minutes to get to the gate. Dublin's problems are tiny compared to others around the world.

Would have thought the new airport in Doha wouldn’t have those type of issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would have thought the new airport in Doha wouldn’t have those type of issues?

I flew there direct from DUB on Qatar a few weeks back and we parked at a remote stand that was a 15 min coach ride to the Terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah I recall the bus ride from the gate to the stand being quite long in Doha this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-must-challenge-irish-firms-for-more-competitive-tenders-38779632.html

DAA 'must challenge' Irish firms for more competitive tenders

Not surprising the result finds very poor value for money !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Great to see United Airlines starting direct flights from Dublin to San Francisco in 2020. Aer Lingus already offer that direct route from Dublin but always good to see more direct transatlantic flights out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Great to see United Airlines starting direct flights from Dublin to San Francisco in 2020. Aer Lingus already offer that direct route from Dublin but always good to see more direct transatlantic flights out of Dublin.

Indeed, that and easier connections to the likes of Hawaii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The Boeing 787 has really been a game changer for the industry we wouldn't see routes like appearing only for that aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭HTCOne

With the yields EI have enjoyed on this route, it was only a matter of time!

So does that mean SFO will be 17 x weekly in summer? Or was 10 x weekly EI ever confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Might still drive some traffic for EI with interline connections given they still have the partnership with UA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

cson wrote: »
    Might still drive some traffic for EI with interline connections given they still have the partnership with UA.

Can't see this lasting long tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Much of the US traffic will take the high-status UA Mileageplus folks whose corporate booking system will default to United for status maintenance

First west coast competition fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads Ive been looking on Tap Air for flights from Dublin and according to their Route map https://www.flytap.com/en-ie/destinations/destinations-map
    there are direct flights from Dublin to the following:
    Lisbon
    Bilbao
    Barcelona
    Madrid
    Valenica
    Alicante
    Malaga
    Tangier
    Seville
    Faro
    Porto
    Terceira(Azores)
    Ponta Delgado(Azores)

Can anyone let me know if the above is correct? Apart from Dublin to Lisbon I havent seen these flights announced before.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

They're connections via Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

VG31 wrote: »
    They're connections via Lisbon.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1103032/

New route to St Petersburg?

Article is not clear, will FR be serving Dublin to St Petersburg? If not, then why is it news that Ryanair will be serving Russia because they already do with their Maltese subsidiary.

If they do operate this route, I for one will be using it as this is one of the cities in which Irish citizens have been grated E-Visa status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davebuck

Any word yet on Hainan returning on the Beijing route? if they are returning why leave it so late to advertise the route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

TK Lemon wrote: »

Article is not clear, will FR be serving Dublin to St Petersburg? If not, then why is it news that Ryanair will be serving Russia because they already do with their Maltese subsidiary.

If they do operate this route, I for one will be using it as this is one of the cities in which Irish citizens have been grated E-Visa status.

The article is just an assumption that Ryanair will start operating there because of a relaxation on the strict rules that have prevented airlines flying there before plus the easier visa process.

Also I believe you are confusing Ryanairs Malta Air with Air Malta. You're not the first and won't be the last. Malta Air is just a front for tax compliance and for certain union agreements. It's still using the Ryanair brand.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

TK Lemon wrote: »

Nothing set in stone there from the looks of it. I'm heading over in February via Lufthansa and Frankfurt. I'll try and sort the e-visa in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I see that Ryanair has a new Dublin to Menorca route starting this summer. Was this officially announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I see that Ryanair has a new Dublin to Menorca route starting this summer. Was this officially announced?

Early last month.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-new-dublin-summer-2020-route-to-menorca/

Twice weekly.

Qatar going Double daily during core summer months up from 11 per week. Emirates have slots for a third flight, possibly announcing soon, most likely after they’ve finished eating their own hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    TUI have more less cancelled there 2019 expansion plans after Cello went bust. They needed to base a third aircraft and appears not to be happening or at least schedules have been pulled for now.

Any update on this, i flew cello maybe 2017/18

Would any airline send in an a380 if Dublin could accommodate it ?

Ryanair December passenger numbers up nine percent on the previous year. It will be five percent growth last year for Dublin and I reckon five percent again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ryanair December passenger numbers up nine percent on the previous year. It will be five percent growth last year for Dublin and I reckon five percent again this year

I can see next year being a lot lower, we've had very few new route announcements, both EI and FR seem to have stalled on their expansion and there's not really anyone else to take up the slack. We've also got Brexit on the way and looking ever more likely the US will continue in their efforts to reduce the Middle East to rubble

Until the new runway comes online and there's a significant jump in peak time runway slots I'd say we're looking at modest capacity upgrades and a few new routes here and there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I can see next year being a lot lower, we've had very few new route announcements, both EI and FR seem to have stalled on their expansion and there's not really anyone else to take up the slack. We've also got Brexit on the way and looking ever more likely the US will continue in their efforts to reduce the Middle East to rubble

Until the new runway comes online and there's a significant jump in peak time runway slots I'd say we're looking at modest capacity upgrades and a few new routes here and there

This tweet seems to suggest a new long haul route announcement at some point in 2020

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1212064454353051648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bit of a reach with 'new' there, aren't IAD/LAX/EWR just reboots of routes they'd previously cancelled?

Bit of a reach with 'new' there, aren't IAD/LAX/EWR just reboots of routes they'd previously cancelled?

By my defintion they are new as they weren't being served already by Aer Lingus.

If you buy a 2020 Focus but had traded in a 308, but previously had a focus 8 years ago is it a new Focus ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

With regards to Aer Lingus, there may not be a new transatlantic route but the additional capacity added to various routes equals a new service in terms of seats and frequency. Miami goes to 3 weekly, Orlando 6 weekly and Seattle goes daily which added up results in an extra 5 weekly flights to the network over last summer.

There’s also three additional short haul routes, the most they’ve added in one summer for quite a while, all are low frequency holiday destinations but I don’t think they’ve come at the expense of any noticeable cuts to the current network and should therefore provide at least some growth.

While not a blistering expansion, growth has by no means stalled, at least with Aer Lingus.

Advertisement