Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Shamrockj

I can see next year being a lot lower, we've had very few new route announcements, both EI and FR seem to have stalled on their expansion and there's not really anyone else to take up the slack. We've also got Brexit on the way and looking ever more likely the US will continue in their efforts to reduce the Middle East to rubble

Until the new runway comes online and there's a significant jump in peak time runway slots I'd say we're looking at modest capacity upgrades and a few new routes here and there

EI are adding 2 more A330 aircraft which is 15% expansion compared to the current 330 numbers for us flights plus up to 4 more A321NEO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No sign of EI-LRE/F/G/H

There will be 4 NEO's for Summer 2020. There may be a single 757 available. Two A330-300 HGW on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

By my defintion they are new as they weren't being served already by Aer Lingus.

If you buy a 2020 Focus but had traded in a 308, but previously had a focus 8 years ago is it a new Focus ?

The car analogy you're attempting to make is pretty wild. :D

They aren't new routes in the true sense of the word new, they're resumptions of routes they'd previously served.

Anyway, its all semantics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I’d also suggest that Newark, Toronto, and Philadelphia were not in fact new routes since they were already served from Dublin. I appreciate that my opinion on this is not the generally accepted one, but it’d be no fun if we all agreed on things :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

With United starting SFO could EI be looking at dropping plans for the additional 3 weekly flights and starting a new route elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭john boye

IE 222 wrote: »
    With United starting SFO could EI be looking at dropping plans for the additional 3 weekly flights and starting a new route elsewhere.

I don't know if the EI SFO expansion has actually been announced but I would have thought it's a bit late to be looking at a new route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    I don't know if the EI SFO expansion has actually been announced but I would have thought it's a bit late to be looking at a new route.
    Not going to happen.
    When they launched the Rhodes flight the press release stated "our summer 2020 schedule is now complete"

And looking at the airframes they have in place for summer 2020 they dont have the spare capacity without leaving themselves with no gaps for weekly maintenance or operational recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

john boye wrote: »

That's correct, it was never actually announced by the airline, just rumoured. As Tenger rightly points out, the summer schedule is complete according to Aer Lingus' press release.

I'm guessing they got wind of United's intention to start SFO or just decided that the additional capacity to MIA, MCO and SEA was a more suitable use of their assets for next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would those are Lingus clowns ever launch the Vegas route! Look at the comments under their most recent tweet. Guess which non served destination gets by far the most mentions ? No need to answer. It’s the conference, gambling and entertainment capital of the world. Quite laughable for a supposed us hub, the route isn’t served. Before the usual , “ there isn’t enough demand from Dublin “ bs, FIFTY percent of us bound passengers are now transfers !

What a “ gamble “ of a route indeed ! Looking forward to JetBlue coming into Dublin too. Iag just happy to funnel us through London or that other massive us transfer hub.... known as Manchester!

Any airline that starts flying there direct , lll be going several times a year and I know a few mates are the same. It’s the kind of place that people that love it , go again and again and again!

It’s also a sun destination other than the canaries, for when Spain / Portugal etc don’t have the heat

https://amp.ft.com/content/3f30f73c-60fc-11e9-b285-3acd5d43599e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Would those are Lingus clowns ever launch the Vegas route! Look at the comments under their most recent tweet. Guess which non served destination gets by far the most mentions ? No need to answer. It’s the conference, gambling and entertainment capital of the world. Quite laughable for a supposed us hub, the route isn’t served. Before the usual , “ there isn’t enough demand from Dublin “ bs, FIFTY percent of us bound passengers are now transfers !

What a “ gamble “ of a route indeed ! Looking forward to JetBlue coming into Dublin too. Iag just happy to funnel us through London or that other massive us transfer hub.... known as Manchester!

Any airline that starts flying there direct , lll be going several times a year and I know a few mates are the same. It’s the kind of place that people that love it , go again and again and again!

It’s also a sun destination other than the canaries, for when Spain / Portugal etc don’t have the heat

https://amp.ft.com/content/3f30f73c-60fc-11e9-b285-3acd5d43599e

You make it out like these “clowns” have never heard of Vegas. You said yourself IAG are happy to funnel people through the UK, so they obviously have data to suggest it isn’t worth it. That’s not to say it wouldn’t work, I’m sure it would do okay but EI believe they can make more money elsewhere, as a business that’s their aim.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You make it out like these “clowns” have never heard of Vegas. You said yourself IAG are happy to funnel people through the UK, so they obviously have data to suggest it isn’t worth it. That’s not to say it wouldn’t work, I’m sure it would do okay but EI believe they can make more money elsewhere, as a business that’s their aim.

Yeah. What I just can’t wait for is route launch and getting the figures ! Can’t wait for the usual “ demand higher than we forecast “ the usual bs! Time will tell all ...

Would prefer when the route is launched , that it’s not Aer Lingus. Probably unlikely though

Their ceo mentioned Vegas a few years ago. Fairly typical of the pace you’d expect from AL though ... glacial !

Can’t wait to see all the selfies of all the boardsies boarding the inaugural Aer Lingus flight to Vegas that have been demanding they start one. I reckon that’s about as likely to happen as the route launch itself.

cson wrote: »
    The car analogy you're attempting to make is pretty wild. :D

They aren't new routes in the true sense of the word new, they're resumptions of routes they'd previously served.

Anyway, its all semantics.

It wasn’t. You and others get the point being made. It’s marketing PR/spin and the airline isn’t going to miss an opportunity for some good PR. They really aren’t going to say it any other way just to suit someone on Boards now are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

Yeah. What I just can’t wait for is route launch and getting the figures ! Can’t wait for the usual “ demand higher than we forecast “ the usual bs! Time will tell all ...

Would prefer when the route is launched , that it’s not Aer Lingus. Probably unlikely though

Their ceo mentioned Vegas a few years ago. Fairly typical of the pace you’d expect from AL though ... glacial !

I happen to know for a fact that the route will be launched in 2021, this is from a credible source at EI whom I know personally and professionally.

It's amazing how much this topic rustles jimmies on boards, I find it quite amusing.

As far as the actual announcement for LAS I'm not sure how long that will be, at least it gives time for all the stubborn naysayers to decide which side dish they'll choose for their serving of crow.

Very much looking forward to using this route a few times a year, beats routing through the UK that's for sure, and it can get me out of funneling any more tax to this country a few weekends a year, I'd rather be polishing off a nice Saint Emilion Grand Cru on the rooftop of Mandalay Bay at an extortionate rate than paying the tax on some garbage pisswater in Dublin.

Can’t wait to see all the selfies of all the boardsies boarding the inaugural Aer Lingus flight to Vegas that have been demanding they start one. I reckon that’s about as likely to happen as the route launch itself.

I'll make sure to post mine here, it's happening

I'll make sure to post mine here, it's happening

I can’t wait. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I happen to know for a fact that the route will be launched in 2021, this is from a credible source at EI whom I know personally and professionally.

The amount of times I hear this thing in the industry is astounding. Most of the time they end up being wrong. The only people that really know are those at the top and those at the top will continue to evaluate it based on environmental factors over the coming months before the summer 2021 schedule is announced.

If it happens then great. More destinations the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

LAS doesn't have the onward traffic, or business PAX, to make itself more attractive than plenty of other bigger population cities in the US for EI. With air frames so limited its just not commercially attractive.

Any claims that its coming in 2021 I'd be highly skeptical of, both because of the above, and because EI will be nowhere close to finalising their summer 2021 schedule at present. Anyone saying they know anything "for a fact" about it is lying, because even the c-suite in there hasn't fully confirmed anything for themselves yet. Nevermind some random punter on boards.ie, whos probably hearing it from a baggage handler mate of his.

Idbatterim goes on nonsensical rants about a LAS route every few months, and each time posters in good faith give him detailed replies showing why its a non-starter. But he just ignores them. So its probably best to just not engage at this stage.

Im hardly suggesting they fly to some town of 100,000! Aer Lingus have mentioned this route. They recently mentioned they had up to fifteen new us routes In mind. Id say it’s fairly safe to say , Vegas will happen. It’s the when , that’s the thing. I would be 80-90% sure it would be before end of 2022...

I see the claims of Vegas wouldn’t be profitable don’t surface any more ! Do I tho k it’s possible that the aircraft may return a bigger profit on other routes , possibly. Would vegas be loss making etc , would it b**locks!

Blut2 wrote: »
    LAS doesn't have the onward traffic, or business PAX, to make itself more attractive than plenty of other bigger population cities in the US for EI. With air frames so limited its just not commercially attractive.

Any claims that its coming in 2021 I'd be highly skeptical of, both because of the above, and because EI will be nowhere close to finalising their summer 2021 schedule at present. Anyone saying they know anything "for a fact" about it is lying, because even the c-suite in there hasn't fully confirmed anything for themselves yet. Nevermind some random punter on boards.ie, whos probably hearing it from a baggage handler mate of his.

Idbatterim goes on nonsensical rants about a LAS route every few months, and each time posters in good faith give him detailed replies showing why its a non-starter. But he just ignores them. So its probably best to just not engage at this stage.

Baggage handler mate LOL, As I said, there's plenty of time to decide what side dish you'll enjoy with your crow :D

Hardly a "random punter" been working in the industry just shy of 10 years now, keep posting your "justifications" for this route not happening, I'm telling you it will be, was due to be launched in 2020 but due to aircraft delivery delays it has been pushed back, wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Groundhog Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll need to dig up the posts so I can put the post number in the title, but LAS talk is not allowed here due to the pointless, thread derailing, circular arguments. Only if a route to LAS is actually announced can it be discussed

Back on topic of boring as fcuk next destination that the bean counters dream up ! Someone’s back garden in upper state New York probably , once the 321 lr has the range ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭john boye

Back on topic of boring as fcuk next destination that the bean counters dream up ! Someone’s back garden in upper state New York probably , once the 321 lr has the range ...

Are you 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

EI to Denver is in the mix. Has lots of connection potential but might depend on performance elsewhere in the fleet even after the new 330s arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

tricky D wrote: »
    EI to Denver is in the mix. Has lots of connection potential but might depend on performance elsewhere in the fleet even after the new 330s arrive.

Some combination of Denver/Houston/Detroit will be the most likely next few new EI US destinations I'd say, based on their expansion strategy to date. Lots of connectivity/big airports, and large surrounding area populations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Blut2 wrote: »
    Some combination of Denver/Houston/Detroit will be the most likely next few new EI US destinations I'd say, based on their expansion strategy to date. Lots of connectivity/big airports, and large surrounding area populations.

Massive United hubs on both Denver and Houston. Will likely depend on future of relationship as One World must be putting pressure on EI.

Realistically EI will probably send the LR/XLRs to do multiple daily’s to Boston and the New York area, Toronto etc and free up 330’s to start new routes or double down on San Francisco, LAX, Seattle. New routes to Vancouver-Denver-Montreal and anywhere they can get a similar deal to the one they got for Bradley could sway them.

EI have said that their next focus would be on frequency increases. I imagine if we see one new destination per year for the next 2-3 years till the runway is ready we will be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The stop talking about Vegas thing was serious. Posts were "just" deleted this time; next time it won't be as lenient.

No posts about Vegas are allowed unless and until there is a route announcement as it has been clear many times that people are unable to discuss it sensibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

MSP isn’t performing too well apparently, corporate travel agent mate told me recently.

Advertisement