Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Not quite! I flew to the old Munich-Riem with Ryanair in 1989 - on a ROMBAC BAC-111

800px-BAC_1-11_561_Ryanair_MAN_06.88.jpg

likewise, I did in in 1988. I might even have been the last UM that FR dealt with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dublin - Munich was one of two routes that the Minister for Transport (I think it was Seamus Brennan) ordered that Aer Lingus cease operating in favour of Ryanair back then (the other was Dublin-Liverpool).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Anyone heard anything more on Aer Lingus to Vegas route ?

I think this will be boards equivalent of the 757 replacement threads on that other aviation website......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Not quite! I flew to the old Munich-Riem with Ryanair in 1989 - on a ROMBAC BAC-111

I can do better, landed and departed MUC on a Ryanair 737-200 in 1999, and even got fed...

Yes a charter but still Ryanair, would have been better for me to land in Innsbruck but thats scary place to put a big jet

Now looking at EI/LH and FR into MUC, this could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

L1011 wrote: »
    Direct and all, not what was expected for years (tag via MAN or Hainan tag via EDI were always floated as the first two Asian routes)
    I never understood the hype around this. KLM, Lufthanse, Emirates, Ethiad and BA offer flights from Dublin to essentially every major Asian airport including Beijing via London, Amsterdam, The UAE and Frankfurt. Hainan via Manchester would just be another option, not anything different.
    Major win for Dublin on the Cathay Pacific route, great airline and it really opens up a whole new world to Ireland. Hopefully this will be a success and we can see direct routes to Bangkok, Singapore and Beijing. I think Dublin can support 4 Far East routes. Could be a great growth area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

snotboogie wrote: »
    I never understood the hype around this. KLM, Lufthanse, Emirates, Ethiad and BA offer flights from Dublin to essentially every major Asian airport including Beijing via London, Amsterdam, The UAE and Frankfurt. Hainan via Manchester would just be another option, not anything different.

Same plane, guaranteed transfer if there's delays etc. Its an improvement over connections but yes, its different to a full flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I see Aer Lingus has announced a new saver fare without a checkin bag, will this increase numbers through DUB?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I see Aer Lingus has announced a new saver fare without a checkin bag, will this increase numbers through DUB?

Minorly I'd imagine. Its mainly to compete against domestic ultra price sensitive O&D that's going to Norwegian. It may bring some connections cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

flanzer wrote: »
    Hainan will be announced soon........

The same was being said this time last year and it's still seemingly no closer!

In other news, I see Finnair are slightly increasing Helsinki to 10x weekly next year, flew with them Bangkok to DUB a few month back and found them very good, far cheaper than the Middle Easterns and while not quite as good an experience it was perfectly good for the price

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-welcomes-finnair-expansion-next-summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭Polar101

When do the Aer Lingus 'seasonal' flights stop in the autumn? Can't find this info on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Polar101 wrote: »
    When do the Aer Lingus 'seasonal' flights stop in the autumn? Can't find this info on their website.

It varies by route. Usually October.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

flanzer wrote: »
    Hainan will be announced soon........

It's not a direct flight though?

It's not a direct flight though?

Direct, yes apparently.

Non-stop, probably not. (Rumoured MAN or EDI stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Polar101 wrote: »

Rule of thumb: Airline winter timetables start on the final Sunday in October, the summer timetables on the final Sunday in March.

However there will be variations within that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Noxegon wrote: »

This is a total game changer and a very welcome addition to Dublins route network. Ireland looks re long haul as a one direction hub going to North America. Pity AL didn't have the foresight to operate this route. I think it will be a runaway success for Cathay and the very best of luck to them. Ireland business and trade has been longing for a direct service for ages. Bring it on.

Chat moved from non-chat thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Anyone hear rumour of EI to PHL? Heard it around..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

duskyjoe wrote: »
    This is a total game changer and a very welcome addition to Dublins route network. Ireland looks re long haul as a one direction hub going to North America. Pity AL didn't have the foresight to operate this route. I think it will be a runaway success for Cathay and the very best of luck to them. Ireland business and trade has been longing for a direct service for ages. Bring it on.

I didn't expect that it would actually be the Cathay rumor that would materialise into reality. Certainly a pleasant surprise :)

I wonder if they're going to market themselves as an alternative to the ME3 to get to Australia etc...?

I'm guessing at it wasn't a lack of foresight by AL to not have a route to Hong Kong, but rather a lack of aircraft that could make the trip. Could the A330s make that kind of trip from DUB (with a profitable load?)

Cathay operate A350 and B777 (as well as some A330s). Curious to see what they use for DUB.

Rawr wrote: »
    I didn't expect that it would actually be the Cathay rumor that would materialise into reality. Certainly a pleasant surprise :)

I wonder if they're going to market themselves as an alternative to the ME3 to get to Australia etc...?

I'm guessing at it wasn't a lack of foresight by AL to not have a route to Hong Kong, but rather a lack of aircraft that could make the trip. Could the A330s make that kind of trip from DUB (with a profitable load?)

Cathay operate A350 and B777 (as well as some A330s). Curious to see what they use for DUB.

Was announced as an A350 was it not?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was announced as an A350 was it not?

It was indeed, read a post from a HK poster on another website that states the A350 has no problem at all flying DUB-HKG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Anyone hear rumour of EI to PHL? Heard it around..
    That's what I've got (as a rumour) from a mate.
    IAD back to an A330 next year, freeing up a B757 to start PHL.
    I wonder will it be codeshare with AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    That's what I've got (as a rumour) from a mate.
    IAD back to an A330 next year, freeing up a B757 to start PHL.
    I wonder will it be codeshare with AA?

Wasn't PIT also rumoured?j

PIT with an EI 757 would make more sense, haven't AA announced PHL will go year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cravens

PHL's been year-round for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Think they announced it'll go year round with an A330 usually it's A330 summer season and B757 in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Dublin - Munich was one of two routes that the Minister for Transport (I think it was Seamus Brennan) ordered that Aer Lingus cease operating in favour of Ryanair back then (the other was Dublin-Liverpool).
    indeed
    Minister for Public Enterprise (Mrs. O'Rourke): In September 1989 the then Minister for Tourism and Transport announced a Government policy for Irish aviation. The Minister granted exclusive rights to Ryanair to operate from Ireland to Luton and Stansted and from Dublin to Liverpool and Munich . At the same time exclusive rights were granted to Aer Lingus to operate from Ireland to Heathrow and Gatwick and from Dublin to Manchester and Paris.
    <snip>
    The arrangements were for a period of three years only.
    From : http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1999101400111?opendocument&highlight=munich

I also found a record that the Approved Ireland/Continent Fares: Summer 1984 by the government for Dublin-Munich was 350pounds return, which is €444 , and god know what that'd be when adjusted for inflation
    (apex fare, incl a saturday "only" 266 pounds return)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

indeed

From : http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1999101400111?opendocument&highlight=munich

I also found a record that the Approved Ireland/Continent Fares: Summer 1984 by the government for Dublin-Munich was 350pounds return, which is €444 , and god know what that'd be when adjusted for inflation
    (apex fare, incl a saturday "only" 266 pounds return)

€444 in 1984 would be worth approx €1,050 this year, by my rough calculations... For all everyone's (including my own) complaints about Ryanair these days, they really did wonders for the European aviation market in the past.

EICVD wrote: »
    PIT with an EI 757 would make more sense, haven't AA announced PHL will go year round?
    Could be that my source mixed them up, I'm not too sure where his info came from.
    Personally I had disregarded PHL last year when speculation was happening. My opinion was that AA had it sewn up and EI couldn't get in. Now maybe United are planning on using EI to siphon some pax off the AA route?

Tenger wrote: »
    Could be that my source mixed them up, I'm not too sure where his info came from.
    Personally I had disregarded PHL last year when speculation was happening. My opinion was that AA had it sewn up and EI couldn't get in. Now maybe United are planning on using EI to siphon some pax off the AA route?

With any re-entry to Oneworld on the cards; let alone possibly going in to BA/AA/IB/AY TATL J/V, would they do that for maybe one summer season? Piss off the new partner for a few quid.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    With any re-entry to Oneworld on the cards; let alone possibly going in to BA/AA/IB/AY TATL J/V, would they do that for maybe one summer season? Piss off the new partner for a few quid.

Hence skepticism last year. We haven't heard anymore about EI getting closer to OW or the J/V (did I miss confirmation of this?)
    I previously thought that IAG ownership would lead to closer ties to AA.
    Not sure what might be happening.

Advertisement