Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best opticians in Dublin for test/deals on specs etc

Options
  • 26-06-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

So looks like I finally might need some specs... eyes are acting up pretty badly the past few weeks.

I'm unaware of anything to do with opticians... who do people recommend around Dublin city centre for:

- Getting the test done

- Getting the glasses (good selection of frames etc.. but also deals would be nice bonus)

Would probably like to go for the photochromic lenses.

Also what's involved in getting the "free eye test" that you get under PRSI ? Do all opticians partake in it?

(To mods, please don't move this to the "Glasses" forum as there are no viewers to respond to posts, thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I used to be with SpecSavers in the GPO but found their selection poor a few years ago so moved to Vision Express on Henry St. I've opted to buy online once too, but if you need thinning of lenses (which I do), blue light reducer, etc... it adds up. Each person is different depending on how bad their eyes are - my specs in total worked out at €320 for one pair 18 months ago.

Both SpecSavers and VisionExpress partake in the PRSI. All you need is your PPS number if memory servers me right - get one every two years thereafter without any need for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

ok thanks.. heard that about SpecSavers alright... I'd be keen on having the largest selection.

Hopefully I don't need specs and it's just eyestrain!

I'll try VisionExpress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I don't like vision express ...essentially a sales job. I used McNallys. There's also a good independent one mcgivneys on henry st...which had the advantage i could see directly across to the gpo into my boss's office and freak him out by saying who'd dropped into him.
    But since I got lasered...a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Why not go to the ophthalmic centre thingy place in DIT Kevin st? They'll give you the eye test for PRSI if you're eligible and aren't motivated as much by sales.
    Specsavers is fine when everything is routine, OK selection, usual upselling of lens finishes. But I've found little consistency with things like dry eyes or muscle imbalance.
    Took one look at what vision express charges for frames and left the shop before I found it what they charge for the lenses!
    Have been tested in DIT, they seem the most caring of all opticians that I've attended and really took the time to do extra tests and explain them to me. Frames selection similar to a small specsavers IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why not go to the ophthalmic centre thingy place in DIT Kevin st? They'll give you the eye test for PRSI if you're eligible and aren't motivated as much by sales.
    Specsavers is fine when everything is routine, OK selection, usual upselling of lens finishes. But I've found little consistency with things like dry eyes or muscle imbalance.
    Took one look at what vision express charges for frames and left the shop before I found it what they charge for the lenses!
    Have been tested in DIT, they seem the most caring of all opticians that I've attended and really took the time to do extra tests and explain them to me. Frames selection similar to a small specsavers IIRC

How do you book?
    I usually go to specsavers and buy online from the UK.
    When I need extensive tests I go to medical optics in Fairview. Was referred by specsavers and find them very good.

Interesting thanks will check it out.

Looks like they're pretty kitted out too... although I imagine all opticians have the necessary equipment, but perhaps these guys have the latest cutting edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

They're phone number is on their website, just give them a call.
    Don't know if they have the latest and best if everything but they do have more stuff for checking out your retina, field of vision etc.

Anyone have experience with Optical Rooms ?

https://www.opticalrooms.com/

They are quite close to me, so would be handy for a visit at lunchtime for the test (they are registered to accept the Treatment Benefit Scheme)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Anyone have experience with Optical Rooms ?

https://www.opticalrooms.com/

They are quite close to me, so would be handy for a visit at lunchtime for the test (they are registered to accept the Treatment Benefit Scheme)

Sounds like good quality, professional eye examinations without any sales pressure to buy glasses. How things should be done! It says on their website that the eye test is €50. PRSI usually only gives the optician €22.51 to do an eye test, so I'd imagine you may have to pay a bit more to upgrade? Sounds like a much better eye test than you'd get in a fast-paced high street retail environment, though. Considering most people only have an eye test every two years, it's worth it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like good quality, professional eye examinations without any sales pressure to buy glasses. How things should be done! It says on their website that the eye test is €50. PRSI usually only gives the optician €22.51 to do an eye test, so I'd imagine you may have to pay a bit more to upgrade? Sounds like a much better eye test than you'd get in a fast-paced high street retail environment, though. Considering most people only have an eye test every two years, it's worth it.

Weird I couldn't spot anything about the sales pressure on the site, or the price of the eye test.

I found mention of the €50 when I searched google for "optical rooms 50 euro"

Must be my bad eyesight :rolleyes:

Anyway I asked them and the eye test price is fully covered by the PRSI, so I guess they take a cut. I know dentists also do this for the benefit scheme as well (charge lower price than normal).

Advertisement