Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to Primary Schools for newborn!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I understand what the problem is. We have 2 in school and faced the same issues as everyone else. But schools thinking they can charge 200 entrance fee is not the answer and it's not a trend I would like to see growing traction.

It's exactly what you said, it's bad manners. But penalising everyone else or marginalising those who can't afford to pay 200 quid is not the answer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My reading of the 200 euro deposit was that if you don't send the child you forfeit it, it's not charged if you send the child?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    On the first day they had 7 junior infant classes arranged to go, but there were enough no-shows on that day that they were able to reconfigure the kids into 6 classes.

That's around 25 kids whose applications were rejected because the place was taken up by someone who had no intention of turning up and didn't have the basic manners to let the school know.

What's worse is that the school gets in touch with the parents in advance and operates on a "if you don't respond to us, we'll assume you've moved on and you lose your place" basis. So that's 25 sets of parents who actively reserved a place for their child in at least 2 schools.

I know of one school that lost a teacher because of this carry on. Teacher hired based on number of acceptances and then let go when they didn't show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

I think you have him down for the wrong year which probably isn't helping your cause. There will be children born in early 2016 starting school Sep 2021. In most of Dublin the trend is towards children born after February/March starting school at 5. This is becoming even more so the case since the introduction of the second ECCE year. I'm surprised none of the schools mentioned it. Our school has a cut off as do many others where your son would not be accepted at 4 with an April birthday. There are stats somewhere on the DCYA website that show the percentage of children under 5 in JI each January and it is very low. I would go back and reapply for 2022 and you will stand a much better chance of getting your child into an Educate Together school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not all RC schools require a baptismal certificate.
    We're not RC and my son is in an RC school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is worth checking if the catholic ethos isnt a problem. Someone mentioned Loreto earlier. The schools of theirs I've looked at don't prioritise by religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This is worth checking if the catholic ethos isnt a problem. Someone mentioned Loreto earlier. The schools of theirs I've looked at don't prioritise by religion.

Just to add, I'm now also on the board of management, also not an issue!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ours is Catholic and hugely oversubscribed, but baptism isn't part of our policy either. But the media like to pretend that there is a huge issue.Ditto the back to school costs."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ours is Catholic and hugely oversubscribed, but baptism isn't part of our policy either. But the media like to pretend that there is a huge issue.

It's not just an issue because of lack of school places, it's also an issue because many people don't want a school with a Catholic ethos for their kids.

It is a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ours is Catholic and hugely oversubscribed, but baptism isn't part of our policy either. But the media like to pretend that there is a huge issue.Ditto the back to school costs."

This is part of the problem - the point that many people now do not want a RC education for their children in any way, shape or form is being totally missed. Schools can bleat on all they want about how inclusive they are but when it's impossible to completely escape the prayers and indoctrination and children are totally othered by having to be opted out their claims mean nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement