Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Study or Not To Study

• 26-06-2017 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

I am in my 30s and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I'm just not happy with what I'm doing. I went to college twice, the first time I was too young to really decide what I wanted to do. The second time was in the middle of the recession with no jobs afterwards. I'm working in a dead end low paying job. It's soul destroying. I cannot afford to go back to college and re-train unless I win the lottery. I have looked at evening courses and nothing seems to interest me. I have been looking at the open university and I am seriously considering doing a course. There's one course I like. But what am I doing it for, previous courses hasn't worked out. I will be 40 by the time the course finishes but I realise if I don't do something I'm going to be in the same position at 40 as I am now. The course I am looking at is health science. I cannot say that I always wanted to do something like this. The career options from the course is a medical technician and pharmacy technician and a few more but a pharmacy assistant course is something I have considered before. I had a look at jobs and it seems I can use a health science degree in the pharmaceutical industry which is an industry I would like to work in. It pays good. If things doesn't work out in the pharmaceutical industry, there will always be pharmacy work. But I will be essentially a pharmacy assistant, counting tablets, handing out medicines, stocking shelves. However, it's a low paying job and the course fee is three thousand a year for six years to do it part time. That is a a big commitment and alot of money if things doesn't work out for me again.

My next issue is. I can potentially start this course this year if I wanted to. I have some savings. The truth is I live for going on holidays. I have to have something to look forward to. I was going to go on a big trip later this year. I don't have anything booked yet. My holiday fund can cover my first year in this online course. Or will it be better if I sit and think about this course instead of jumping in. This was only an idea this past weekend. I'm good at saving and can start again but it means putting this course on hold for a year.

So what do I do? Or what would you do? Has anyone been in the same position as me not knowing what to do and how to fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Did you finish the last 2 courses or did you drop out/fail

If you can afford to spend thousands on a holiday why cant you afford to do a course? This should tell you where do your priorities lie.

You don't seem overly enthusiastic about pharmaceutical work and only bothered with particular areas of the job. Keep in mind you'll be entering a field of competition full of people nearly half your age with master's degrees and phd's which is generally the requirements for most graduate jobs these days.

What courses did you previously study?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

Did you finish the last 2 courses or did you drop out/fail

If you can afford to spend thousands on a holiday why cant you afford to do a course? This should tell you where do your priorities lie.

You don't seem overly enthusiastic about pharmaceutical work and only bothered with particular areas of the job. Keep in mind you'll be entering a field of competition full of people nearly half your age with master's degrees and phd's which is generally the requirements for most graduate jobs these days.

What courses did you previously study?

Thank you for your reply. I have finished two courses. The second course I did was in a plc college so it was cheaper than going to an IT or university. The first course I did was a hotel management course which I finished it also. That's the reason why I can't afford to go back to college. The second time in college the fees are on you. Not only have you got the college registration which is 3000, you also have tuition fees and the cost of living. It is just far too expensive and I'm not that good at saving. The cost of it can't be compared to a holiday. If I did another course, it will have to be an evening course or by distance learning. I think an open university course would be a good option and would suit me and allow me to work and afford to do a course and study in my own time. But I'm not quite so sure. I do like the sound of the course. I have always had an interest in human health. But after that, I really don't know where it will take me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Going to college as a mature student was the best thing I've ever done. So don't let fees or time put you off. Focus on something you truly enjoy, it's paramount.

Did you complete an entire course? Could you check about advanced entry into 2nd/3rd of a degree? I know lot who have done this.

Could you combine your travel interest and education so far? Maybe see a career in that space? There's loads of options. I think focusing on something that isn't just a passing interest but something that you've always enjoyed or passionate about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

I thought some more about this. I will be holding off for a year and if I still want to do the course from the open university, I will do it next year. Afterall, what's another year for a six year commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why have you boiled everything down to the idea of further study? Is there some reason you couldn't just change jobs? You appear to have decided that study will change everything and you'll be better off with another course under your belt, but you've done two and it hasn't happened, so how will a third help? Why are you focussing on study when, as you say, you're not in a financial position to do it?

You contradict yourself in your two posts, saying that you're not good at saving and that you are good at saving. It sounds to me like you're just restless, confused, and asking yourself the wrong questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jade15

I went back as a mature student three years after being made redundant from my position as an office manager. I'm 32. It was the best decision I've ever made. From the age of 17 for many years I tried and started many courses without finishing; in the end I gave up thinking about going to college until I was made redundant.
    I went back to do a law degree which I just finished and I will be going into a masters programme. I will say it has been extremely difficult at times and the stress is a completely different type of stress you experience in the workplace but it was so worth it and mature students really band to give support and I made some wonderful friends. I would definitely recommend it but it is tough financially wise and it can take its toll at certain times with stress but that is all totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

The Open University or any distance learning is a very lonely road. You will have to be highly motivated to go the distance. You do have a few meet ups with your class & tutor but effectively you are on your own.
    Will this course give you a job??? Will you need to do a further course in order to get work? What is the starting salary?
    I'd be looking at a move upwards or sideways in your current area of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I went to college as a mature student part-time paying a similar amount each year. It's doable financially even if you don't earn that much, but you probably won't be able to go on any big holidays during that time.

You already have two degrees. I'm not sure it would be such a great idea to go back and get a third. Would you be able to change jobs with your current qualifications and maybe do something you enjoy more than your current job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

going to college as a mature student (49) was the best decision my brother made. after years of doing work he just 'did' rather than wanted to do, he finally realise here was something he loved and was good at. he got work after graduating and is the happiest he's ever been.
    sometimes it's not too late to start again.
    best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement