Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniskerry Internet (Broadband) so slow!

Options
  • 26-06-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Fibre broadband is coming to Enniskerry, or has already?? I live up near Kilgarron Park!

With a speed test I am getting MAX 3MB download and 0.3MB Upload. It's horrible!

We are with Sky at the moment!

EDIT: I just checked on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ and it looks like we can get it! Except last time, they said there was an issue with the cabling..etc. Who can I contact that will help us with this? Last time we tried, the providers all played ping pong with each other and we got no where! Do I need to call an electrician to sort out the lines?

Any useful advice / numbers are much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You need to be careful with the concept of fibre.

- Fibre can be to the home, as in a physical fibre optical connection to your house and router [Very rare Ireland]
    - Fibre to your road and then copper a short hop to your house. [Becoming more widespread]
    - Fibre to your general area, then copper to your house [Fairly established]

So, you could be in the same situation we had a few years ago whereby even though fibre was pretty much on our doorstep, but the cabling was so poor that it dropped the speed considerably. Bad copper can really effect your speeds, no matter how fast the fibre is. Imagine you put a garden hose on a fire truck, you'll only ever get a trickle. There is nothing you can do about this as ultimately Eircom (Who own the copper in the ground) have to update it. Your provider just rents the copper and bandwidth from them, they really have little to no control on the speeds.

You're best off getting Eircom to give you a speed test on your connection at your house. They'll give you the best reading as they own the network. At least then you have a baseline for comparison.

Advertisement