Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of bike affects posture the least?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi there, cycling boardsies.

I'm going to buy a bike from Cycleways in Dublin this week under the Bike to Work scheme.

I have been cycling the 25 minute journey to/from work every weekday for the past 6 months now. I was using a racing style road bike that my sister had bought but never used. It seemed to do the job but I've been told it's almost 2 sizes too small for me.

After a month or so of doing this, I started getting bad pains in the arches of my feet.

I thought it was due to bad footwear so I tried wearing various different shoes and bought orthotics. This helped slightly but the orthotics seemed to transfer the pain more to my shins, resulting in painful shin splints.

My physio reckons this pain is stemming from tightness further up the body, mainly hip flexors and glutes. I think the cycle to/from work is causing this as I notice the pain is much worse on the days I cycle, compared to weekends.

I play football and tag rugby and train kickboxing and and these issues are affecting my performance. Even after taking a month off from any impactful training the issues keep coming back.

The handlebars on the bike are very low down so I have to lean far forward to reach them.

Would a "cruiser" style bike with the handlebars up high rectify this? I just want something reliable and comfortable really. Would be a bonus if it moves fast but that's not a priority.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to bicycles so if you could recommend something that would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CM24 wrote: »
    I've been told it's almost 2 sizes too small for me.
    hard to tell what you need if you've been cycling a bike which is noticeably too small, i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

It may not so much be the type of the bike but moreso the fit for you.
    A bike fit may help. My own somewhat limited experience is that a bike with drop bars (racing bike bars) is more comfortable and easier because it allows me to adopt a few different positions hence avoiding too much strain on any part.
    Regardless of what type of bike you get, if it is not right fit for you, it will cause you discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've just switched from a hybrid to a road bike for my commute and definitely the hybrid was much more comfortable for traffic. The only time I can get comfortable on the road bike is when I can get to a stretch of road, such as an empty bus lane, where I can lower my neck and eyeline for more than a handful of seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CM24 wrote: »
    My physio reckons this pain is stemming from tightness further up the body, mainly hip flexors and glutes. ...

Try Pilates for a month. I found it a great help with lots of aches and pains. Strengthen core etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

If speed really isn't a priority then I definitely think a hybrid would be more comfortable. Doesn't necessarily have to be sitting up super straight like in an armchair, plenty of hybrids still have a reasonably aero position while still having a better/easier view of the traffic than a racer. But do be aware that your current 25 minute journey could take a little longer than on a racer, esp. if there's any hills.

Do you also have a backpack at the moment? If you're getting a new bike make sure to get a rack and panniers.

If you have a desk job with a lot of sitting that might not be great for hip flexors etc. either. I find a short walk at lunch definitely helps with minor lower back pain that's probably half desk and half cycling related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I think the fit of the bike has a lot more to do with your issues than the type of bike, I am not an expert but it sounds like your saddle height is too low. A wider platform pedal may help with your foot issues as well. The bike shop should be able to help you choose the right size and the correct saddle height.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That's not a question any of us could answer really... It depends on your level of flexibility, fitness, age, posture/muscle tone etc.. Also get a bike fit, some people may have one leg slightly shorter than the other so may need to adapt their cycling shoes..

Cycleways will know how to advise you on bike frame size and seating position..possibly also recommend professional bike fitting if necessary..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of food for thought there.

Just a couple of things people mentioned.

I do usually cycle wearing a light back pack. I suppose I'll invest in a rack for it with the new bike.

I'm 5'10, 80kg and would say I'm quite a bit fitter, stronger and more flexible than the average guy. I used to work as a PT actually. I'm a teacher now and I suppose I do spend several hours a day sitting at my desk and wearing fairly restrictive work clothes. This is the first time that I've worked a relatively sedentary job. That could be contributing to the problems as much as anything.

I'll go into Cycleways tomorrow and see what they say.

Advertisement