Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival/Bushcraft Groups

Options
  • 26-06-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

I've been looking to get into survivalism/bushcraft and I was wondering if there's many groups around who do it.

I was in the scouts for years during my teens but gave it up as I found people in my troop weren't interested at all in going off the grid for a weekend, bivvying etc, as opposed to pitching tents on campsites with running water and electricity.

I've thought about just doing it myself as I have most of the necessary gear, some basic knowledge of firestarting, shelter construction, and backwoods cooking (but practically nothing on hunting or living off the land), but even then it'd be more fun to go along with others and none of my friends are at all interested in the outdoors beyond hiking the sugarloaf or some ****.

Is it common for people in the Dublin area, and if so, are 'survival weekends' done often?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

survivalism/bushcraft and I was wondering if there's many groups around who do it.

Both types of groups practise bushcraft.

Irish Bushcraft Club:
    These guys have formed a bushcraft club. They study and practise primitive skills and bushcraft but they are not a survivalist group.

Irish Survivalist Group
    :
    These guys have formed a survivalist group which practises bushcraft. From their FB page:
    Irish Wilderness Survival & Bushcraft Network ...Self reliance ... When the SHTF you'll be glad of a few new out door skills...
    Living off the Land, learn to light a fire using Ice & Water, Sleep comfortably with-out a sleeping bag in -10 outdoors, learn to eat what you previously thought was not possible their's loads more to learn if you have the interest. Did you ever hear of lighting a fire using a bicycle pump.?? well now you have...Want to see how?

Both groups have posted on the Bushcraft thread on the Outdoor Pursuits page:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103

There are also various people and organisations who offer courses and instruction on Bushcraft.

Advertisement