Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio delay on unpause when using HDMI

Options
  • 26-06-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

So i bought a new Inspiron 3552 laptop from Dell as a present for someone and replaced the installed Ubuntu OS with
    Windows 7 &
    Windows 10 in a dual boot system.

Anyway after a few struggles with missing drivers etc. i'm down to one annoying gliche. When the laptop is hooked up to the tv via the HDMI, it plays fine. Until you hit pause.

If its paused for a few seconds it still works but anything over 30 seconds or so of pause and when you hit play the video starts up but it takes the audio about 10 seconds to kick in.
    The audio isn't out of sinc you just can't hear it.

We have 2 other dell laptops one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 10 and neither have this issue.
    I've also found it doesn't occur with playing Netflix through chrome. But all other video players have the error, Windows 10 film player, Media Player, VLC etc.

Also the error occurs on both of the OS's on this laptop. I've tried downloading Dell drivers, Intel Drivers and Realtek drivers and none of it has helped.

Any ideas would be welcome.

If someone can even theorize as to whats happening it might help, what occurs with audio after about 30 seconds of inactivity that then requires about 10 seconds to fix by the tv or laptop, i'm out of ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the intel driver that matters if audio is going out over HDMI.

Try downloading the latest relevant package directly from Intels support site.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Tried getting new intel drivers but the ones from their website won't install because Dell modified something, and the oens from Dell don't fix the problem.

In fact i'm now pretty sure its not a driver issue. I mean i have Windows 7 and Windoes 10 on this laptop in a dual boot.

So the question is what kind of problem would effect both operating systems in the same way?

I tried installing the recommended BIOS from Dell but it was the same one i had. Does anyone know of any Bios settings which could be responsible?

I find it hard to imagine its a hardware problem as it would be a remarkably specific one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the files using AC3/5.1?

ED E wrote: »
    Are the files using AC3/5.1?

I'm not sure what that is but the files i've tested include mkv, mov, mpg, flv and mp4 all have a 5-10 second audio delay if paused longer than minute or two.
    I've also tested the exact same files on multiple machines and only this laptop has the bug.

Hey we fixed it! Turns out this laptop just hates Intel. We uninstalled the intel drivers for like the 5th time or something but this time it didn't reinstall itself which i'm pretty sure it did the other times.

Anyway with intel gone windows 'High Definition Audio' driver came out of nowhere, took over and is now running things fine. For now anyway, i'm completely paranoid and expecting the bug to reappear but hopefully this is the end of it :) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement