Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer running perfectly, steam games are my only lag issue!

Options
  • 26-06-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Been trying to fix this for 2 days and I've had no luck whatsoever.

So my computer has the following specs...

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
    AMD K16
    Mullins Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)

Motherboard
    HP 80B8 (P0)

Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (HP)
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 M360 (HP)
    CrossFire Disabled

Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA)

Optical Drives
    hp DVDRW GUB0N

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

and everything runs fine, HD videos, origin games, multiple apps such as skype spotify netflix chrome all at once with ease. But steam games are like im trying to play them on a laptop from the 90's! The steam client is fine and runs smoothly, but when I open a game (that my laptop even has double the recommended specs for) its just lagging from the second I open it. The load up messages (copyrights, company logo etc) lag coming up, the start menu lags trying to switch between options such as load save or new game, settings etc and also you start playing, well at that rate you're already wanting to throw the laptop out the window lol.

I've tried everything, I dont have high usage percents on my CPU or disc according to task manager, before, during or after the game is booted up. I've tried countless different fixes as recommended here, on reddit and on any forum i can find really. I have all the most up to date drivers on everything, ive all my setting such as video and sound quality on low (although i shouldn't have to as the games ran perfectly on my old crappy laptop before I upgraded to this one), I have all the steam settings such as max pings and the client options set to the absolute minimum and still, the games are all basically not usable. Ive tried uninstalling the games and the steam client and re-downloading and installing everything and its still an issue.

Please can someone help, any suggestions at all at this rate I'll take! Thanks in advance

ps. I should also mention, I only got the laptop in September and when I downloaded my games then, I was having this issue but I didn't play often enough with steam (I mostly played on origin and they all run perfectly) so I just forgot about it, but now theres games I want and cant get because steam is basically unusable
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm guessing that maybe you need to tell your driver to use the R7 M360 GPU instead of the R5 GPU (which is built in to the CPU).

Something like this might give you an idea, I don't use AMD myself:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2829433/laptop-wrong-graphics-card.html

I think AMD Catalyst control centre has been replaced by AMD Crimson now. Hoppefully someone else can chime in and explain how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 leahcct5

I'm guessing that maybe you need to tell your driver to use the R7 M360 GPU instead of the R5 GPU (which is built in to the CPU).

Is there something like that in the radeon driver software?

Oh okay, and how would I do that?
    That just never occurred to me considering that my origin games rum smooth, but I'll definitely try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What is the game in question? The R7 M360 is a very low end card, and the cpu is quite low end also, so if the game in question is anything recent it might just be struggling from lack of power. Otherwise, it could only be a driver issue of some description - completely uninstall your current drivers, use driver cleaner pro to sweep for remains, and restart and install the latest crimson drivers. AMD mobile cards/support is nowhere near as good as Nvidia though, and have way more problems.

My last laptop had an R7 M360 as well and it was a nightmare. Some games like Battlefield 4 ran perfectly fine at 720p lowish settings at 50-60fps and then others like Counter Strike GO, which has far lower requirements, would only run at 15fps no matter what drivers I used. I got rid of it as I was sick of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 leahcct5

What is the game in question? The R7 M360 is a very low end card, and the cpu is quite low end also, so if the game in question is anything recent it might just be struggling from lack of power. Otherwise, it could only be a driver issue of some description - completely uninstall your current drivers, use driver cleaner pro to sweep for remains, and restart and install the latest crimson drivers. AMD mobile cards/support is nowhere near as good as Nvidia though, and have way more problems.

My last laptop had an R7 M360 as well and it was a nightmare. Some games like Battlefield 4 ran perfectly fine at 720p lowish settings at 50-60fps and then others like Counter Strike GO, which has far lower requirements, would only run at 15fps no matter what drivers I used. I got rid of it as I was sick of the issues.

Hi thanks for your reply, it's all steam games. My Sims and medal of Honor and such work perfectly as they are origin games, but all of my steam games, which include L4D1/2, life is strange, saints row 3, Garry's mod etc are all basically unusable. And which i know my specs are mid range, my previous laptop was far below these specs and I could play all of these games at medium quality with no issues whatsoever.

How would I go about uninstalling all my current drivers and then reinstalling? The AMD website is little help. I downloaded their graphic control panel (or what I assume is their graphic control panel, the crimson) and it's not even really an app or anything, after installing when I open it, it's more of just a platform to uninstall itself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can use DDU to get rid of all the files from your PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Turn off the overlay. It's probably not that but might as well eliminate the possibility. Also check to see if v-sync is on. If it is, try off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Here's how to configure AMD Crimson to use the better R7 GPU (discrete GPU/dGPU) instead of the integrated R5 GPU (iGPU). They mention intel drivers on that page but you don't need those. High performance mode=using the dGPU

It also shows you at the end of the page how to monitor and see if an application is actually using the dGPU...I'd start with that first and see if the game appears there when you launch it and compare that to when you run a game on Origin.
    https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1581

Strange how it only happens with Steam games though, perhaps try running steam as an administrator (right click steam icon-->run as admin) to see if that helps.

Advertisement