Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bit of TL;DR on buying e-cigarettes?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Want to try nicotine for the first time but I would prefer to avoid the many toxins in traditional cigarette smoke. I know the electronic ones are probably no more safer, but I'd like to try it first at least before going to the normal ones.

I've read online and from some threads here but still don't understand exactly how purchasing them works (cigarettes, liquid etc.) Can they only be bought online? Are they charged like batteries and thus nothing more needs to be bought or do you need to buy liquids each time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The best bit of advice I could give you would be .....don't .

Others might be different but I would never advise someone to try nicotine , it's more something you fall into when you are young and foolish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

jonski wrote: »

Others might be different but I would never advise someone to try nicotine , it's more something you fall into when you are young and foolish .

Alright but going on the path of trying it, what would my options be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Why would you want to try nicotine? Don't get me wrong, I totally get why people take narcotics. I've tried most things back in my youth. But Nicotine?? You don't get a buzz from it. When addicted, you take it to feel normal not better than normal. If we'd never started we'd feel normal all the time! It doesn't help you focus better than normal, it lets you focus normal because you've gotten rid of the distracting nagging craving. Why, why do you want to try nicotine, why.....WHHHHYYYY!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Funny one this but if your going down this path at least this is potentially the least damaging.

There is nicotine that occurs naturally in all sorts stuff we eat - you could just adjust your diet to get more this way.

When I started smoking I got a great buzz of cigs specially when drinking and at a club - I mean the buzz was fantastic but ultimately led me to smoking full time bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

jonski wrote: »

Yeah, this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah same as the above, why would you want to try nicotine? There are zero benefits. It's the stuff they put on cigarettes to get you hooked and nothing else because it's ridiculously addictive, so all you'd be adding to your life is an addiction and an expense with no upside. Even if you wanted to kill yourself or give yourself a serious disease for the craic, nicotine is ridiculously ineffective at even that, you're looking at a mild chance at diabetes after heavy usage for years. And vaping isn't even cool like!

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah same as the above, why would you want to try nicotine? There are zero benefits. It's the stuff they put on cigarettes to get you hooked and nothing else because it's ridiculously addictive, so all you'd be adding to your life is an addiction and an expense with no upside. Vaping isn't even cool like!

Somewhere, there's a dude in skinny jeans with a backwards hat that got chills when you typed that :pac:

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Somewhere, there's a dude in skinny jeans with a backwards hat that got chills when you typed that :pac:

Like even in the naivety that leads people to smoking young, there was an element of 'sticking it to the man' or 'giving cancer the finger' or whatever it is young people tell themselves. As an e-cig user, all you'll get from people is lectured, made fun of, told you look ridiculous and you'll have a lot of people say the words "but we don't KNOW..." to you repeatedly no matter what proven facts you give them.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Former smoker here. I tried the e liquids containing nicotine and they taste like arse. I just used nicotine free liquids instead. Nicotine doesn't really give you a buzz the way alcohol or say, weed would do. In fact what's most likely to happen is you'll just end up puking or tearing the throat out of yourself if you try vaping with nicotine if you've never smoked before.

Toots wrote: »
    Former smoker here. I tried the e liquids containing nicotine and they taste like arse. I just used nicotine free liquids instead. Nicotine doesn't really give you a buzz the way alcohol or say, weed would do. In fact what's most likely to happen is you'll just end up puking or tearing the throat out of yourself if you try vaping with nicotine if you've never smoked before.

Is there anything else legal I can smoke in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Like even in the naivety that leads people to smoking young, there was an element of 'sticking it to the man' or 'giving cancer the finger' or whatever it is young people tell themselves. As an e-cig user, all you'll get from people is lectured, made fun of, told you look ridiculous and you'll have a lot of people say the words "but we don't KNOW..." to you repeatedly no matter what proven facts you give them.

You don't have to convince me, the anti vaping sentiment is unusually prevalent where i am :D

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Is there anything else legal I can smoke in Ireland?

Why is it exactly that you want to smoke ANYTHING?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Ok, so: 
    You know nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet.

You know that cigarettes kill - hence you want a "safe" solution.

You know its almost impossible to quit once you start and even if you quit you'll still crave it for years afterwards and can relapse at any time. 

You know, that if you cannot get your nicotine fix though vaping whilst addicted, you will, in all likelihood, look to real cigarettes for your fix. 

You know that the quit rate for nicotine is less than most hard narcotics - including heroin!

And yet you still want to try nicotine - seriously ?

but I would prefer to avoid the many toxins in traditional cigarette smoke
    Nicotine is the one that will get you hooked - for LIFE
    Are they charged like batteries and thus nothing more needs to be bought or do you need to buy liquids each time?
    You have to keep buying liquid, you'll probably upgrade your device and batteries, as you chase the perfect vape and in all likelyhood end up spending a small fortune.

There is ZERO reason for someone who has never smoked to start vaping.
    Sorry the editor is being an ass and stuff is being double quoted

I'm still not deterred by smoking (with the exception of cigarettes) so please let's move the focus elsewhere. If I was to go for a cheaper form of nicotine aside from cigarettes, what would I be looking for?

I see that the sprays and gums are very expensive, but some dated article says that there is some Nicotine gum for €6 in Lombard Pharmacy at Westmorland Street.

Might go there in a couple of days but does anyone know other locations where you can find not-too-costly sprays, gums, patches etc..?

Actually a forum full of nicotine-users are helping you by telling you there's zero reasons for you to start taking nicotine. There's no buzz off it, it doesn't taste nice, there's no social benefits, and you'll get addicted and end up having to spend a lot of money to feed this addiction (like €6 for disgusting gum for example). Even if you just want to have a moan about being addicted to something for some reason, people find that annoying and don't care. Zero benefits. That's the most helpful thing people can tell you.

If you'd like to answer their questions about why you're looking to do this, perhaps they can point you in the direction of something you may like once they understand you're reasoning. Until then they're just helping you on a folly and, I suspect, wasting their time giving info to someone who's trolling, so nobody has any incentive to help you further and 'move the focus elsewhere'.

If you'd like to answer their questions about why you're looking to do this, perhaps they can point you in the direction of something you may like once they understand you're reasoning. Until then they're just helping you on a folly and, I suspect, wasting their time giving info to someone who's trolling, so nobody has any incentive to help you further and 'move the focus elsewhere'.

Trolling? Really? I thought people here followed the motto of 'It's your body, do with it what you want'. I'm not harming anyone and I just want to try it a few times to see if I liked so I came and asked what's the best thing to start with..but if you think that's trolling then so be it. ;)

It's because everyone is asking you why and what your motivations are, so they can better help you make an informed decision, and you're refusing to answer or acknowledge that. So it's not a leap to suggest that maybe you're just winding people up, I'm actually giving you credit in jumping to that rather than assuming you want to give yourself a pointless addiction that offers zero benefits.

Of course, though, if that's what you want it is your body! Go wild! (Or don't, because nicotine doesn't do that :pac:)

It's because everyone is asking you why and what your motivations are, so they can better help you make an informed decision, and you're refusing to answer or acknowledge that. So it's not a leap to suggest that maybe you're just winding people up, I'm actually giving you credit in jumping to that rather than assuming you want to give yourself a pointless addiction that offers zero benefits.

Of course, though, if that's what you want it is your body! Go wild! (Or don't, because nicotine doesn't do that :pac:)

I'm young and just need to relax. Alcohol is okay but I need something stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Nicotine will not relax you! Get into meditation if you want to relax.

As Leggo has said, it would really help if you could explain why you want to try nicotine so bad. I have never in my life heard someone say they want to try nicotine just because they want to. As a smoker of nearly 20 years I strongly STRONGLY advise you not to try nicotine just for the craic.

You will not notice the nicotine in patches at all and will probably just make you feel sick instead....you are getting nicotine directly to your blood stream and your body is not used to it. You will not like the taste of the gums. You could waste your money and get a spray if you like but it tastes exactly like mint spray, so you may aswell just get a mouth freshener spray because its going to give you the same effect. Nicotine is not a mind altering drug. Its not going to do anything for you except make you want more. Anyway, I don't think any decent pharmacist would give you any of the Nicorette items if you aren't already a smoker. Anyone who has a nicotine addiction (or in fact, anyone with common sense) will tell you that it is a moronic idea to try nicotine just because.

If you want to smoke something (i.e. the sensation of inhaling), buy a vaper with no nicotine liquid. But please please please do not just start taking nicotine for the fun of it. Be proud of the fact you have never touched nicotine. I would pay money to be able to say that about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I'm young and just need to relax. Alcohol is okay but I need something stronger.
    There are Vaporizers that allow you to inhale substances that are much more relaxing than Nicotine :D
    The only reason smokers seem to get more relaxed after smoking is the same reason junkies only feel "normal" after a fix. The reason: the craving is gone..... for a while. And then you get agitated and fidgety and unbearable to be around until you get your next hit. 

But seriously, Patches, Gum and Sprays ONLY even exist to help people to stop smoking - not to "give you a buzz".

As Ashbx says, get one with zero nicotine if you really really want to try out vaping, although I don't personally see the point.

And also consider what might happen if you don't have your fix for whatever reason e.g. no batteries, no juice, no shops open etc .... yes you'll feel like crap until you get re-supplied OR you might decide to try out actual cigarettes to quench your addiction. 

If you are after it to look cool, or just "want" something to be addicted to (some people need that) by all means, pick it up, try it out - but at least be honest with yourself about the reasons you want to start your nicotine addition on purpose. Relaxing is NOT one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

There's no buzz from nicotine??

You must be doing it wrong.

It's deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

jeanjolie wrote:

Be very wary with this mentality, it can lead you down bad paths. Try anything to relax BUT an addictive substance.

Don't worry guys, I got started on some nicorette chewing gum and sprays.:D

There was a slight sting in my mouth and throat but I did feel a 'buzz' for what I would say was longe than alcohol but definitely not drug like.

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nicotine isn't going to relax you, it's a bloody stimulant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Nicotine isn't going to relax you, it's a bloody stimulant!

This. It raises heart rate (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I find this thread rather depressing. That someone feels they 'need' something to relax saddens me, as well as it quite obvious this person doesn't want to listen to any advice on the subject.

Too many people looking for quick fixes to perceived distress.

Minor rant over. I feel better now and didn't need any kind of drug to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

OP what are you like?

Dump the gum and get straight on the real thing. The most effective nicotine delivery system is the good old fashioned cigarette. They're widely available although you do need to know where to go because the law (for some crazy reason) prohibits their display.
    Putting that aside, when you do find an outlet that deals in them they're pretty easily recognised. All the packets, by law, (for some crazy reason) have photos of diseased organs and rotten mouths on them. So you'll definitely know you have the right product.
    There are also health warnings on the pack ( for some crazy reason) that mainly focus on the addictive nature of nicotine and sometimes some stuff about cancer and heart disease.
    But let me help you further. There are a few popular brands and many not so popular in various different sizes. You can buy packs of 20, 23, 24, 28, 30. They also have ones that you can click on that will change the flavour - it's amazing.

So have fun. Those gum things won't do anything for you. Have a smoke. And another. And sure - maybe a few more. And be sure to come back and let us all know how you're getting on. Not too soon though. Try us in about 30 years. You'll have a story by then. For sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ionised wrote: »
    I find this thread rather depressing. That someone feels they 'need' something to relax saddens me, as well as it quite obvious this person doesn't want to listen to any advice on the subject.

What worries me is how common this kind of thing is now and how it will affect future legislation and further regulation of vaping.

People, especially kids/teenagers, who never smoked are being drawn to vaping and nicotine addiction. A lot of e-juice companies are actively marketing to kids. Crap juice that is based on sweet wrappers and full of sucralose.

The OP is not an isolated case and you can be sure this kind of thing will be used as anecdotal evidence to support further tightening of regs.

Its already happened in San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

When did vapers start believing all the anti-vaping propaganda?

I get why ye're trying to put OP off the idea (and nicotine definitely isn't a good drug for relaxation), but the whole nicotine > heroin bull was debunked long ago.

The "tasty flavours are only there to attract kids!" line is debunked every time myself and millions of other adults vape vanilla custard or some Skittle-alike.

Sad times when we peddle the horseshit. Stan Glantz would be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

grindle wrote: »
    When did vapers start believing all the anti-vaping propaganda?

I get why ye're trying to put OP off the idea (and nicotine definitely isn't a good drug for relaxation), but the whole nicotine > heroin bull was debunked long ago.

I don't care about the OP. I care about vaping getting eventually banned. Nicotine isn't dangerous when used responsibly but not in the eyes of lawmakers who want to ban vaping. Examples of kids getting into vaping rather than ex smokers will be used to support a ban or tightening of regs.

Again, this is isn't propaganda, this is now law that's been passed in San Francisco.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/san-francisco-passes-first-nation-ban-sale-flavored-vaping-liquid/
    "For too many years, the tobacco industry has selectively targeted our young adults with products that are deceptively associated with fruits and mint and candy," Cohen said. "Menthol cools the throat so you don't feel the smoke and the irritants and it masks the flavors. This legislation is about saying enough is enough."
    grindle wrote: »
    The "tasty flavours are only there to attract kids!" line is debunked every time myself and millions of other adults vape vanilla custard or some Skittle-alike.

haha so you've debunked the argument with the following logic:

"e juice isn't designed to appeal to kids coz i'm an adult and i like it."

Advertisement