Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

How about reading my whole post before berating me. I condemned him for his actions - totally. No need to take the high moral ground with me.

I do have sympathy for him in that he has lost his wife, his family, his job, his career, his home, his freedom, (probably) his country, his reputation and any respect in society.
    That is devastating beyond my comprehension. His life is beyond repair.

I also somethings have sympathy for murderers and rapists who face the death penalty.

Don’t mix up having sympathy with condoning his actions.

I never did, if you bothered reading the article he was already estranged from his wife and it was wife and daughter who brought an old phone of his to the police after seeing the texts.

So you have sympathy for him as he was on trial for grooming and being a paedo (which he is now charged with) and society and his employer took a dim view of it.

What sentence do you think he should get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Shemale wrote: »
    I never did, if you bothered reading the article he was already estranged from his wife and it was wife and daughter who brought an old phone of his to the police after seeing the texts.

So you have sympathy for him as he was on trial for grooming and being a paedo (which he is now charged with) and society and his employer took a dim view of it.

I did ‘bother to read’ the article. I know he was already ‘estranged from his wife’

What’s your point?

Why does my sympathy for this man make you angry with me?

Can I not fully condemn his actions and yet feel pity for him? Is that not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I did ‘bother to read’ the article. I know he was already ‘estranged from his wife’

What’s your point?

Can I not fully condemn his actions and yet feel pity for him? Is that not allowed?

How do you feel sympathy?
    He knew well what he was doing and she wasn't the only one apparently.

What did he think was going to happen when he was eventually found out?

Do you think you can send pictures of your middle aged willy to teenage girls and not get found out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He hasn't been. I thought that was in reference to pre-pubescent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's always the way on these threads.

The Adam Johnson case was a good example of that. People acting like he should be castrated and anyone that called for a sentence consistent with the average handed down over the years to guys who were guilty of the same (or similar) were rather quickly labelled misogynists. I remember asking if anyone could find one single case in the last twenty years where a guy (with no previous convictions) had received a six year sentence for what Adam did and there was nothing but tumbleweeds in response. Yet, they were all still certain he absolutely deserved that farcical sentence.

Not sure why that happens. Something tells me it's to do with a certain section of society wanting to hang onto to their power. If they create enough noise, and generate enough animosity and contempt, then they can keep control of just how society sees men. Sorry, I meant can keep control of just how society sees 'those' men.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you think it's harsh that he lost all that, what from the above do you think he shouldn't lose for what he done?

Judging by his post, Humphries has suffered enough and he shouldn't lose his freedom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What’s your point?

Sympathy is an emotion that is expressed towards someone who suffers a misfortune, what he did was not a misfortune, it was a criminal act. Maybe that's why people feel angry over you expressing that sympathy.

He hasn't been. I thought that was in reference to pre-pubescent?

He has been charged awaiting sentencing:

"Humphries (54) of Corr Castle, Sutton, Dublin pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to four counts of inviting a child to participate in a sexually explicit, obscene or indecent act between January 2010 and March 2011.
    He also pleaded guilty to two counts of defilement of the child at a place in Dublin, the girl was 16 at the time"

http://www.thejournal.ie/tom-humphries-sentence-3627181-Oct2017/

I would call sending dick picks and sexual texts to a 14 year old actions of a paedo, she only "agreed to meet him" aged 16, I am guessing he had been asking and asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah. So you *are* confusing the word prosecution with the word investigation, then.

If an individual/ complainant tells police that they have been the victim of rape, then there is admissible evidence, whether or not they want to continue with a prosecution.

If there is no complainant, then there is almost certainly no investigation. Again, that is so glaringly obvious I hardly think it merits pointing-out,

The confusion is only in your head. i have been clear in what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another lecture. Nobody condoned his behavior - I totally condemned it. I feel
    Pity for the miserable existence he is left to endure for the rest of his life.

That’s all. I am not asking for him to be granted the freedom of the city or anything.

The effect on his victim is absolutely appalling.

Never said you didnt condone his behaviour. I said you dont understand the consequences of any form of child sex abuse because previously you had flippantly said sure he only had sex with a 15 year old child, it is not as bad as other sexual crimes. I am saying it is because the evidence shows that regardless of how a sexual crime on a child takes place the effects for the victim are still the same- depression, poor mental health, suicidal ideation and basically a life ruined. These same effects can happen irrespective of whether the sexual abuse was a quick grope of genitalia or multiple rapes. You are calling for proportionality when dealing with this sexual abuser but there is no proportionality when it comes to his victims, he might has well have committed multiple rapes because the effects of his victims would still be the same. Sexual abuse crimes are a completely different kettle of fish than other violent crimes and they should never be treated in the same manner.

fwiw you might feel sympathy for him and that is your choice. I could never feel sympathy for him simply because his situation is all of his own choice. He is not the victim here, he made his decisions to risk a lenghty prison sentence and he got caught. It is his victim I have sympathy for, she is the one who is not even an adult and faces a lifetime of a prison sentence with her mental health. What is done to her now can never be undone, she cannot get her childhood back and now she will face a very tough time as an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I would call sending dick picks and sexual texts to a 14 year old actions of a paedo, she only "agreed to meet him" aged 16, I am guessing he had been asking and asking.

That's not peadophilia. The reference in the charges to a child, were because she was a minor at the time of the offences.

What’s your point?

Ok so he had lost his wife before he groomed and had sexual contact with this girl, so it is not a consequence of it.

Personally I reserve my sympathy for the civil servant in Kildare who looks like a convicted paedophile whose posters were put up around the county and who gets abuse wherever he goes. Or people who get wrongly accused of a crime and then acquitted but the "no smoke without fire" stigma follows them for the rest of their days.

Sure you can feel pity for him, I am not getting angry with you I just don't understand how you could have pity for him. He spent 2 years sober trying to have sex / get blowjobs from at least one young girl, it's not like it was a once off drunken mistake it was systematic and he knew what he was doing.

When he does time he will be in the sex offenders wing and kept away from general population who would really make his life hell.

@Conor I know it's your trade but I hope you are wrong and Johnson got 6 cause he could afford the very best defence in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

If the teenager didn't want to engage in sexual shenanigans with a fairly unpleasant looking older man, then why did it go on for 18 months ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If the teenager didn't want to engage in sexual shenanigans with a fairly unpleasant looking older man, then why did it go on for 18 months ???

That's the nature of grooming. It's a slow burner. And for the perpetrators the long game is part of the attraction.

Do I have sympathy for him? To a degree because he's lost everything but I really feel for the victim and his family. Everything that has happened to him he brought on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Clearly you’ve never been groomed into sexual abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

"Clearly you’ve never been groomed into sexual abuse."

No I haven't but at that age I don't care how much cajoling or persuasion there's been, you're still a teenager and he's still a gross old man.

That's not peadophilia. The reference in the charges to a child, were because she was a minor at the time of the offences.

I stand corrected, my understanding was it covered children under the age of consent

"Clearly you’ve never been groomed into sexual abuse."

No I haven't but at that age I don't care how much cajoling or persuasion there's been, you're still a teenager and he's still a gross old man.

Are you serious?
    You think one size fits all?

"IF it were me I would have told the fat old git to **** off"

Well that's great but you have no idea of the home environment etc that girl was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

Patww79 wrote: »

Tom McGurk

• Advertisement

Asus X540L wrote: »
    How do you feel sympathy?
    He knew well what he was doing and she wasn't the only one apparently.

What did he think was going to happen when he was eventually found out?

Do you think you can send pictures of your middle aged willy to teenage girls and not get found out?

You don’t seem to understand my posts.

Judging by his post, Humphries has suffered enough and he shouldn't lose his freedom

I don’t need you to (inaccurately) guess my opinions and answer questions on my behalf, shemale.

pilly wrote: »
    Sympathy is an emotion that is expressed towards someone who suffers a misfortune, what he did was not a misfortune, it was a criminal act. Maybe that's why people feel angry over you expressing that sympathy.

Sympathy (from the Greek words syn "together" and pathos "feeling" which means "fellow-feeling") is the perception, understanding, and reaction to the distress or need of another life form.

I feel sympathy for his situation. I do not condone his crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I feel huge sympathy for the victim. Now what?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you can feel sympathy for both the perpetrator and the victim?

Surely you realise one is to blame and the other isn't? One done something wrong and the other didn't? One broke the law and the other didn't? And one is a pervy old man and the other is a schoolchild?

Yet you reckon they are both deserving of sympathy? I find that very strange.

In equal amounts, or does he deserve less? Or more even?

Ah come on hasn't poor aul' George Hook had a bad enough time of it lately!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Sympathy (from the Greek words syn "together" and pathos "feeling" which means "fellow-feeling") is the perception, understanding, and reaction to the distress or need of another life form.

Okay, so you feel perception and understanding for his distress? Even better. That sorts that so. :rolleyes:

Actually, his crime in other jurisdictions would have resulted in a lot worse than he's facing in Ireland.

Can't fathom for a second how you can show the slightest bit of sympathy for this serial sexual predator

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Wow.

Just, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It is possible to feel compassion for an evil person.
    Without that lessening their crimes in your mind.

The important thing here is that Humphries gets a very long sentence. He should get twenty five years.
    A clear signal needs to be sent that society will not tolerate this activity.
    One hopes that the Judge will understand the gravity of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Jim Sherwin and Fred Cogley then Ryle Nugent goodbye.

Advertisement