Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is hard to legislate, once the age gap is more than two years, your minimum sentence kicks in and some poor teenager the target of a crush ends up in jail for ten years.

I never specified ten!

And it's not that hard to legislate. There's already laws on the books for sex-offenders under the age of 18 to be treated differently to older sex-offenders.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I never specified ten!

And it's not that hard to legislate. There's already laws on the books for sex-offenders under the age of 18 to be treated differently to older sex-offenders.

And how do you deal with a couple who are on holidays in Ireland from Germany, he is 19, she is 16, who have been in a consensual relationship for two years, should be be jailed after the first night of their holiday?

blanch152 wrote: »
    And how do you deal with a couple who are on holidays in Ireland from Germany, he is 19, she is 16, who have been in a consensual relationship for two years, should be be jailed after the first night of their holiday?

We're going round in circles here: for every legal point I make, you can come up with a hypothetical situation. Anyone can do that. What if he was 19 and she was 15? Or 14? And he was 20?

None of this challenges my point: there should be a set sentence for the act of having sex with a minor. Your argument isn't about sentencing, your arguing is about whether or not it should be a crime in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah just got a BJ a few times, it's all the same to me involving children.
    You can't honestly think the two crimes were of similar magnitude.
    So there needs to be sex for a high sentence?

Of course, but even if Tom Humphries did have sex with the girl when she was 16 (the age at which the oral sex/defilment took place at) that would still hardly warrant him being sentenced to the same sentence as a father who raped his eight year old daughter for 5 years straight.

Also, why no calls for that "father" to get 25 years? At least that would make some sense. Raping an 8 year old once should warrant close to ten years, if not more, so how can raping one dozens and dozens of times only result in that same sentence.

This is why I take such issue with people that said Humphries should get 25 years, or be kept away from society for the rest of his life, or should rot etc. Made no sense. Gets a lot of back slaps, but it's not rational or reasoned discourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

How many posters here have thought 25 years was reasonable? One? Two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

_Dara_ wrote: »
    How many posters here have thought 25 years was reasonable? One? Two?

About 7 is reasonable

a 7 foot drop :

terrible waste of food and resources keeping them
    NsouAOq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-gaa-coach-jailed-for-seven-years-for-dozens-of-indecent-assaults-on-two-young-boys-36308209.html

Seems Tom wasn't the only member of the GAA diddling kids.

Will the GAA comment on this? Of course not.

Replace GAA with the RCC/Swim Ireland, and you'd see mass outrage.

Red_Wake wrote: »

The desperation of your pathological hatred of the GAA never ceases to amaze. You must be even boring yourself with it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-gaa-coach-jailed-for-seven-years-for-dozens-of-indecent-assaults-on-two-young-boys-36308209.html

In a huge organisation chances of abuse incidents increase. What's your point GAA members are more inclined to be paedophiles? If that's the case you have a problem. Unfortunately sexual predators are in all areas of society. Garda checks and vetting can only do so much if the person being checked hasn't been caught up until then, or offended previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Take any huge organisation with thousands of members - you're going to find there's a few people in the membership that are less than exemplary human beings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Do we need to update the legal definition of paedophilia. Do we need to update the definition of a child for the purposes of categorising sexual activity abuse or otherwise. Do we need to bring the term young adult into the equation. None of this is seeking to explain or justify/condone what Humphries did its just a couple of things that I wonder about.

The term paedophile in its strictest sense, as I understand it, is misused particularly by the red top newspapers.

holyhead wrote: »
    Do we need to update the legal definition of paedophilia. Do we need to update the definition of a child for the purposes of categorising sexual activity abuse or otherwise. Do we need to bring the term young adult into the equation. None of this is seeking to explain or justify/condone what Humphries did its just a couple of things that I wonder about.

The term paedophile in its strictest sense, as I understand it, is misused particularly by the red top newspapers.

Splitting hairs a bit but yes - a pedophile is attracted to pre-pubescent children while an ephebephile is attracted to teenagers.

The legal term doesn't refer to "children" it refers to people below a set age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/child-sex-abuser-tom-humphries-avoids-sanction-after-verbally-abusing-prison-officer-37299418.html
    Journalist Humphries (55) insulted the Midlands Prison officer when a request that he made for special treatment was refused.

A source said: "Humphries can be a real smart-a**e at times and he called the officer an 'uneducated turnkey'."

Turnkey is a derogatory term for a prison warder used in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The officer was not fazed at all, according to the source, and put Humphries in his place.

"I'd rather be an uneducated turnkey than an educated paedophile," he told him, before again refusing the request and suggesting he behave himself.

Humphries was immediately transferred to the infirmary for treatment of the savage burn he received.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

JaMarcus wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/child-sex-abuser-tom-humphries-avoids-sanction-after-verbally-abusing-prison-officer-37299418.html

Humphries was immediately transferred to the infirmary for treatment of the savage burn he received.

You would have thought that with all that time on their hands prisoners would have come up with a more biting phrase for a prison officer than "turnkey"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

JaMarcus wrote: »

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

HIm and his paedo priest buddies probably spend their time sharing their stories of what they got up to and getting off on it.

Should be in solitary on bread and water, only let out to break rocks.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He's out in two weeks having served just 2.5 years during which time he refused to engage in a prison program for sex offenders.

Unbelievable.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/maeve-sheehan-tom-humphries-will-be-a-free-man-in-two-weeks-but-he-will-always-remain-a-convicted-paedophile-38372454.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Something wrong there, surely probation should be conditional on therapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He's out in two weeks having served just 2.5 years during which time he refused to engage in a prison program for sex offenders.

Unbelievable.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/maeve-sheehan-tom-humphries-will-be-a-free-man-in-two-weeks-but-he-will-always-remain-a-convicted-paedophile-38372454.html

What sentence was he handed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Something wrong there, surely probation should be conditional on therapy.

In a functioning justice system yes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

didnt he serve the time given to him.
    what he looks like is irrelevant.

and who seriously thinks that engaging with therapy is going to alter the type of man he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

didnt he serve the time given to him.
    what he looks like is irrelevant.

and who seriously thinks that engaging with therapy is going to alter the type of man he is?

Nobody does and those that do are delusional.

I guess for most people if he attempted therapy that would be some kind of personal admittance from him of his devious preferences, however, when you are dealing with extremely dangerous and selfish people like this that sense of shame or remorse goes out the window and is long since gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

In prison. Out of prison. Irrelevant. The man's life is over regardless. And that's his own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

Unbelievable.

He was given a two and a half year sentence, and that's what he has served.

I don't think there's an option to voluntarily stay in prison longer to appease the AH pitchfork brigade.

Unbelievable.

According to wikipedia he was sentenced to 2.5 years.

Surely that means he wasn't given even the ordinary amount of remission?

Then again, it's never safe to rely on the veracity of anything stated in the Indo or on Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Allinall wrote: »

I don't think there's an option to voluntarily stay in prison longer to appease the AH pitchfork brigade.

He deserves a pitch fork up the hole. I've a friend who worked for the prison service who kept an eye on general muck birds after release. A lot of them get help from the IASIO. They usually end up close enough to the city centres. When I lived in phibsboro, I was told that there were two such dirt birds living on my street. Places like Crumlin and Drimnagh also get hit with more than their fair share of scruffs from what I hear. They must have very tolerant communities living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Allinall wrote: »

Its that all he served was 2.5 years. Its a ridiculous sentence for someone who groomed a 14 year old girl with over 14,000 text messages and then raped her at will. 2.5 years is nothing compared to the damage he did to that child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Its that all he served was 2.5 years. Its a ridiculous sentence for someone who groomed a 14 year old girl with over 14,000 text messages and then raped her at will. 2.5 years is nothing compared to the damage he did to that child.

Walrus faced **** will be on the prowl again soon. He should be electronically tagged made and have his phone and online activity monitored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

valoren wrote: »
    In prison. Out of prison. Irrelevant. The man's life is over regardless. And that's his own doing.

Imagine he will live a fairly normal life, as part of his denial. Doubt the young girl doesn't suffer daily with scars.

Advertisement