Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

all very fine words as usual but they amount to a hill of **** when there is no evidence to present because the victim doesnt want to continue. which was my point.
    It may be what you meant, but it wasn't your point. You said "If the family decide they dont want a prosecution then the state cannot bring a prosecution", and this is in no way correct.

S.16 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 was introduced -- and has been employed, by the courts -- to introduce the evidence of the alleged victims of crime, in prosecutions where a victim or another witness was too frightened to give evidence. This legislation has been used in cases of sexual violence, and is particularly important in maintaining or supporting a separate allegation of the same nature against one individual.

Maybe you meant that there can be no *investigation* without a complaint, which is usually true, but that is so obvious I doubt it needs asserting.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

There is a lot of info in The Journal article

http://www.thejournal.ie/tom-humphries-sentence-3627181-Oct2017/

I think anyone who was in any doubt about the depravity of Humphries' behaviour will change their minds after reading the article. Sick ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ewan MacKenna tweeted that he thinks there has been an omerta in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

more than one girl involved. at least one other for sure. he's a scumbag, and you need to understand his presence and power when he was coaching. most of the girls idolised him. he demanded 110%, and had lots of big name hurlers on his side, doing sessions etc.

He was a scum bag. he got them young, and groomed them. He made sure he wormed his way into their lives, and abused his position as coach of club and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It may be what you meant, but it wasn't your point. You said "If the family decide they dont want a prosecution then the state cannot bring a prosecution", and this is in no way correct.

S.16 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 was introduced -- and has been employed, by the courts -- to introduce the evidence of the alleged victims of crime, in prosecutions where a victim or another witness was too frightened to give evidence. This legislation has been used in cases of sexual violence, and is particularly important in maintaining or supporting a separate allegation of the same nature against one individual.

Maybe you meant that there can be no *investigation* without a complaint, which is usually true, but that is so obvious I doubt it needs asserting.

if the victim does not wish to continue then there is no evidence. if there is no evidence how can the state bring a prosecution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No but he doesn't deserve to rot to death, he made a mistake. We call it abuse but it's perfectly legal in France and very close to it an hour from Dublin. I think calling it child abuse is a bit of a stretch, I didn't read anywhere she was forced. American Beauty springs to mind. I think he was a bored idiot. Maybe there's more that I missed.

Why didnt he fcuk off to france and do it so??

In reality is any different to the messing muslims over in england got upto??

Or the nonces at the BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

From the Journal:

"Hugh Harnett SC, defending, handed in a number of testimonials to court, including statements from the chief sports writer of The Sunday Times and a well-known sportsman about Humphries’ journalism career and involvement with GAA.
    The sportsman wrote of Humphries’ previous good character and his activity as a volunteer in the GAA"

What is with the incessant use of GAA in defence, he probably volunteered for easy access to young girls.

I hope he gets life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Lily Tinkling Rugby

Shemale wrote: »
    From the Journal:

"Hugh Harnett SC, defending, handed in a number of testimonials to court, including statements from the chief sports writer of The Sunday Times and a well-known sportsman about Humphries’ journalism career and involvement with GAA.
    The sportsman wrote of Humphries’ previous good character and his activity as a volunteer in the GAA"

What is with the incessant use of GAA in defence, he probably volunteered for easy access to young girls.

I hope he gets life.

its like Mickey Hart giving reference for a fella who did an serious crime (it was a murder or a rape I believe ) and used him/his family were involved in the Gaa, good people....its the most annoying thing - so f'n what that they were involved in the gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Grayson wrote: »
    I read that today. And it was 16k in 3 months wasn't it. It's horrific but honestly I can't believe anyone could send that many messages for any reason. The number is stupidly large.

Going by the journal article , I read it as 16,000 total between them, so assuming they averaged the same it's 8,000 each. Still obviously a lot.

"Forensic analysis by investigators of a number of mobile phones used by Humphries showed that over 16,000 texts were exchanged back and forth over one three month period before March 2011."

its like Mickey Hart giving reference for a fella who did an serious crime (it was a murder or a rape I believe ) and used him/his family were involved in the Gaa, good people....its the most annoying thing - so f'n what that they were involved in the gaa

Like that prick Alan Hawe who killed his wife and three sons before killing himself and the initial RTE was all about the lovely man who was involved in GAA and "The Parish", no mention of his defenceless victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shemale wrote: »
    From the Journal:

I hope he gets life.

Wouldnt hold my breath on that. You can get life on a rape charge but it's rare enough. This isn't a rape case though is it?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wouldnt hold my breath on that. You can get life on a rape charge but it's rare enough. This isn't a rape case though is it?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tom-humphries-exchanged-thousands-of-texts-with-girl-1.3242533

"In law, defilement means engaging in a sexual act with a child. It was introduced after the offence of statutory rape was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2006.

It carries a maximum sentence of five years while the grooming charges carry a maximum life sentence."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I work in the prison system and have seen the records of many life sentenced prisoners, the majority are in there for murder. There are a few incarcerated for attempted murder too and a handful life's off for rape that I've seen too. I don't think I've seen any for grooming or defilement of a minor, as opposed to rape, I wonder are there any.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Like most sexual predators of children, he probably believed he was in a relationship with her and that she was a willing participant. In his mind he is different to the person(the abuser) he wrote about back in 1998. Just thinking back to all the rubbish he wrote about moral fibre, honour and courage in his paen to Roy Keane. I can't feel sympathy for the life sentence he has in reality. He deserves it. If he wasn't a great writer, if he was an ordinary joe soap or a priest, those feeling sympathy for his plight after his jail term, and describing what he did as a waste, would likely be condemning him outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Piece of thrash this guy.

He only had his mental breakdown and suicide attempts after he was caught

He was perfectly able to act the loving family man with his wife while having this child on the side before he was found out.

Unfortunately as this is Ireland he'll get a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Like most sexual predators of children, he probably believed he was in a relationship with her and that she was a willing participant. In his mind he is different to the person(the abuser) he wrote about back in 1998. Just thinking back to all the rubbish he wrote about moral fibre, honour and courage in his paen to Roy Keane. I can't feel sympathy for the life sentence he has in reality. He deserves it. If he wasn't a great writer, if he was an ordinary joe soap or a priest, those feeling sympathy for his plight after his jail term, and describing what he did as a waste, would likely be condemning him outright.

Why do you think people have sympathy for his plight only because he was a good journalist? (And not just an ordinary joe soap)
    I have sympathy for him but I never really liked his journalism.

He had sexual relations with a girl while she was aged from 15 to 17 as far as I understand. While this is very wrong and should be condemned, it is not to my mind as depraved or vile as a man forceably committing sexual acts on a young child (pre pubescent).

It has is important to have a sense of proportion on such matters. We need to be able to differentiate between acts of sexual exploitation and dark sadistic acts of utterly vile perversion.

In this case, the mans life is utterly ruined in any case. It’s sad. He was totally wrong but he will pay an enormous price - maybe even more than his crime deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why do you think people have sympathy for his plight only because he was a good journalist? (And not just an ordinary joe soap)
    I have sympathy for him but I never really liked his journalism.

In this case, the mans life is utterly ruined in any case. It’s sad. He was totally wrong but he will pay an enormous price - maybe even more than his crime deserved.

Well, there are posts here seemingly sympathetic to him because he was a great writer, who made an unfortunate mistake.

He knew what he was doing. Let's be clear he started grooming a child of 14, then committed sexual acts on her a couple of years later.
    There are allegations that there is more than one victim too.
    It's disgusting he wrote about the devastating effect of sexual abuse of minors, only to years later be guilty of the very same crime. I feel the price he will pay is fully deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How many people condemn child abuse yet are secretly guilty of it?
    I don't know what his writing was lime, never read the times but as an adult surely some part of him knew what he was doing was wrong.
    I realise these People, and I include women abusers, can convince themselves that the child loves them and they in turn love the child and would never harm them, but I just can't find any sympathy for him.
    He only appears to be remorseful and suicidal once found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If I were a higher up in the GAA, I wouldn't want criminals thinking membership of the organisation might get them a bit of leniency in court.

They should have a way of authorising those kind of statements, in the hope that, in cases like this where the evidence seems quite damning, throwing in "But he helped out withthe local GAA club" can't be used to save someone's reputation.

Imo, this kind of thing just damages the GAA if they're willig to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

On the 16,000 text messages.

Apparantly, it was a 50/50 split both ways so it wasn't Humphries sending 16,000 messages.
    I guess the defence team will zero in on that. That the relationship was seemingly mutual considering the back and forth over the course of 4 months but that she was a minor then he rightfully doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Still, 8000 messages over 4 months is circa 66 messages a day. Insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If I were a higher up in the GAA, I wouldn't want criminals thinking membership of the organisation might get them a bit of leniency in court.

They should have a way of authorising those kind of statements, in the hope that, in cases like this where the evidence seems quite damning, throwing in "But he helped out withthe local GAA club" can't be used to save someone's reputation.

Imo, this kind of thing just damages the GAA if they're willig to go along with it.

I know what you mean, but in reality the courts are going to decide what is or isn't allowed to be said in court - the GAA (or anyone else) can never have a veto over an aspect of the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Ewan MacKenna tweeted that he thinks there has been an omerta in the media.

After the first line, the rest of the tweet is directed at one particular Sunday Times writer

I know what you mean, but in reality the courts are going to decide what is or isn't allowed to be said in court - the GAA (or anyone else) can never have a veto over an aspect of the justice system.

But they can surely control what is said in their name?

A few clampdowns, warnings, suspensions for bringing the game into disrepute etc. would soon stop these letters. Organisations should really think long and hard about the merits of giving character evidence for serious cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But they can surely control what is said in their name?

A few clampdowns, warnings, suspensions for bringing the game into disrepute etc. would soon stop these letters. Organisations should really think long and hard about the merits of giving character evidence for serious cases.

You know the system better than me.
    If the GAA suspended me for something I said in court (XXXX helped out in the local GAA club and was a thoroughly nice chap whilst doing it) would the courts consider that a) this was a fair suspension that the GAA are entitled to invoke or b) this was an attempt by the GAA to interfere in due process.

My guess would be 'b' but if you think it's 'a' then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

After the first line, the rest of the tweet is directed at one particular Sunday Times writer
    What is the problem in Ewan McKenna's eyes? That the sports journo's aren't talking about Humphries? Why should they? they are sports journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd imagine the insinuation is that there has been very little comment on the actions of one of their own but there is frequent comment on the actions of the people they write about.

Not that I've read into it or am I particularly bothered. Tbh, saying nothing is better than coming out and saying stuff along the lines of "This isn't the X I know".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I'd imagine the insinuation is that there has been very little comment on the actions of one of their own but there is frequent comment on the actions of the people they write about.

Not that I've read into it or am I particularly bothered. Tbh, saying nothing is better than coming out and saying stuff along the lines of "This isn't the X I know".
    Yeah agreed it is better to say nothing.

I do think it is unfair to expect them to comment on it though because yes in the past they might have discussed the morals or sports or sports stars but Tom Humphries was not a sports star. An article in the sports pages on this would seem odd to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Asus X540L wrote: »

He was perfectly able to act the loving family man with his wife while having this child on the side before he was found out.

Moronic statement. He will not get a slap on the wrist for child abuse, cop yourself on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I've no sympathy for him. I do have a lot of sympathy for his victim.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a writer someone is, if they are a nasty piece of work. And well done to his family for exposing him and saving other potential victims. In fact it sounds like it was a only a piece of luck that he got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Benildus wrote: »
    Asus X540L wrote: »

Moronic statement. He will not get a slap on the wrist for child abuse, cop yourself on
    Time will tell.

Ireland's history of enabling child abuse suggests he won't serve nearly as much time as he deserves.

Advertisement