Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I'd imagine the insinuation is that there has been very little comment on the actions of one of their own but there is frequent comment on the actions of the people they write about.

Not that I've read into it or am I particularly bothered. Tbh, saying nothing is better than coming out and saying stuff along the lines of "This isn't the X I know".

He has also posted an extract from the autobiography of the senior sportswriter in question that said Humphries is 'the most talented sportswriter I've ever met. A fine man too'. And this was published the year after the child abuse story broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Who was the high profile sports star who spoke in his defence that they were talking about on the radio this morning - I didn't catch their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Why do you think people have sympathy for his plight only because he was a good journalist? (And not just an ordinary joe soap)
    I have sympathy for him but I never really liked his journalism.

He had sexual relations with a girl while she was aged from 15 to 17 as far as I understand. While this is very wrong and should be condemned, it is not to my mind as depraved or vile as a man forceably committing sexual acts on a young child (pre pubescent).

It has is important to have a sense of proportion on such matters. We need to be able to differentiate between acts of sexual exploitation and dark sadistic acts of utterly vile perversion.

In this case, the mans life is utterly ruined in any case. It’s sad. He was totally wrong but he will pay an enormous price - maybe even more than his crime deserved.

She was 14 when he started grooming her, he sent her two dick picks at 15 and asked about her sexual experiences and wanted to meet her for sexual contact, at 16 he sent her approximately 8,000 text messages in a 3 month period, 88 sent text messages a day.

He manipulated and inappropriately bombarded this girl over two years so he could have sexual encounters with her, the girls father is a better man than I am.

You really don't paint yourself in good light having sympathy for this paedophile scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Who was the high profile sports star who spoke in his defence that they were talking about on the radio this morning - I didn't catch their name.

Seems to be a reluctance to publish his name. Has (or certainly had) a national newspaper column and, ironically, has been championed as a 'progressive' sort in recent years in the GAA. How he can stand by this animal is beyond me - then again, he has no kids of his own, perhaps that's why he doesn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There are several 16 year old pregnant at present in Ireland. Is everyone happy that the fathers of these babies are given a similar sentence to Humphries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There are several 16 year old pregnant at present in Ireland. Is everyone happy that the fathers of these babies are given a similar sentence to Humphries?

Jeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

So two 16 year olds having consensual sex is the same as an adult grooming, manipulating and having a sexual encounter with a minor is the same thing.

Cop yourself on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If the circumstances of the pregnancy are similar to Humphries' case then yeah, definitely.

If they are the result of a relationship between two 16-year-olds then it's a totally different case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I don't think there are any grey areas in the Humphries case. Its fairly black and white, a clear case of grooming and exploitation.
    It may not have been rape, but in terms of seriousness it is equivalent.

I hope it does not ruin the victim's life. Time can be a healer in most cases and hopefully here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Given she was 16, isn't it statutory rape as well as the other charges?

EDIT: Never mind, statutory rape was struck down as an offence in 2006.

• Advertisement

You know the system better than me.
    If the GAA suspended me for something I said in court (XXXX helped out in the local GAA club and was a thoroughly nice chap whilst doing it) would the courts consider that a) this was a fair suspension that the GAA are entitled to invoke or b) this was an attempt by the GAA to interfere in due process.

My guess would be 'b' but if you think it's 'a' then fair enough.

Usually the Courts are reluctant to interfere with such matters. If it's in the rules of an organisation that members cannot make representations on behalf of that organisation, a Court would almost certainly respect that and uphold any disciplinary action. They would only be concerned, if, say, there was a lack of due process investigating the matter within the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

In this case, the mans life is utterly ruined in any case. It’s sad. He was totally wrong but he will pay an enormous price - maybe even more than his crime deserved.

What about his victims life? I would wager (I speak from personal experience) that her life is also ruined/changed forever. She will always have to deal with this. It will never leave her, it will invade her thoughts frequently. It will affect her future relationships. This will never go away. The nightmare will never end. When he gets out, fearing seeing him again or passing him in the street.

He might pay his “debt to society” but it will never untarnish her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

osarusan wrote: »
    Given she was 16, isn't it statutory rape as well as the other charges?

They didn't have sex.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tom-humphries-sentence-3627181-Oct2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yes they did

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

eoghan104 wrote: »
    What is the problem in Ewan McKenna's eyes? That the sports journo's aren't talking about Humphries? Why should they? they are sports journalists.

Not necessarily. One of the sports writers called him 'a fine man' in a book published in 2012, IIRC.

buck65 wrote: »
    Yes they did

Do you have a link? Hadn't seen that reported.

if the victim does not wish to continue then there is no evidence. if there is no evidence how can the state bring a prosecution?
    Ah. So you *are* confusing the word prosecution with the word investigation, then.

If an individual/ complainant tells police that they have been the victim of rape, then there is admissible evidence, whether or not they want to continue with a prosecution.

If there is no complainant, then there is almost certainly no investigation. Again, that is so glaringly obvious I hardly think it merits pointing-out,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The nitpicking over categories is to be expected and a bit sad.

Fact is, he groomed a 14 year old girl even if he waited to consummate the relationship.

If many thousands of text messages to an underage girl (a third of your age) from not only the elevated adult position of sports coach, but also a celebrity and near-deity in the GAA world, doesn't equate to abuse of position, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

eoghan104 wrote: »
    What is the problem in Ewan McKenna's eyes? That the sports journo's aren't talking about Humphries? Why should they? they are sports journalists.

There are a lot of things wrong in McKenna's eyes, the guy is on a constant moan.

Here though, he's rightly looking for comment from Walsh or for others to call out his hypocrisy and also of the "prominent sports player", whoever that was that was a character witness for Humphries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Shemale wrote: »
    She was 14 when he started grooming her, he sent her two dick picks at 15 and asked about her sexual experiences and wanted to meet her for sexual contact, at 16 he sent her approximately 8,000 text messages in a 3 month period, 88 sent text messages a day.

He manipulated and inappropriately bombarded this girl over two years so he could have sexual encounters with her, the girls father is a better man than I am.

You really don't paint yourself in good light having sympathy for this paedophile scumbag

How about reading my whole post before berating me. I condemned him for his actions - totally. No need to take the high moral ground with me.

I do have sympathy for him in that he has lost his wife, his family, his job, his career, his home, his freedom, (probably) his country, his reputation and any respect in society.
    That is devastating beyond my comprehension. His life is beyond repair.

I also somethings have sympathy for murderers and rapists who face the death penalty.

Don’t mix up having sympathy with condoning his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I wonder would there be such anger if the sexes were reversed ? I highly doubt it.

If it was my 14 year old young lad the hypothetical woman would be lucky if the worst that happened to her was to see the inside of a court room...

does that help ?

What about his victims life? I would wager (I speak from personal experience) that her life is also ruined/changed forever. She will always have to deal with this. It will never leave her, it will invade her thoughts frequently. It will affect her future relationships. This will never go away. The nightmare will never end. When he gets out, fearing seeing him again or passing him in the street.

He might pay his “debt to society” but it will never untarnish her life.

I feel huge sympathy for the victim. Now what?

Guessing 4 years.

Adam Johnson got 6, but he contested the more serious charges. Humphries pleaded guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why do you think people have sympathy for his plight only because he was a good journalist? (And not just an ordinary joe soap)
    I have sympathy for him but I never really liked his journalism.

He had sexual relations with a girl while she was aged from 15 to 17 as far as I understand. While this is very wrong and should be condemned, it is not to my mind as depraved or vile as a man forceably committing sexual acts on a young child (pre pubescent).

It has is important to have a sense of proportion on such matters. We need to be able to differentiate between acts of sexual exploitation and dark sadistic acts of utterly vile perversion.

From your statement above it is clear to me that you know nothing about child sexual abuse and the consequences it can lead to. Victims of child sexual abuse are far more likely than the general population to fall into depression, develop drug and alcohol addictions and commit suicide. The circumstances of how the abuse happened does not matter, for the victim they still suffer the same effects. There is no proportion for how the victim feels after being abused, once an adult does that to a child they have re-programmed that childs brain and from that moment forward that childs whole life will be completely changed to how it should have been.

Go and read this childs victim impact statement and you will see the devastating effect it has had on her life. She will never be the same person again because of this scumbag and I really dont know how you can have sympathy for someone who did that to another human being. What he did is the lowest of the low and he deserves everything coming to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From your statement above it is clear to me that you know nothing about child sexual abuse and the consequences it can lead to. Victims of child sexual abuse are far more likely than the general population to fall into depression, develop drug and alcohol addictions and commit suicide. The circumstances of how the abuse happened does not matter, for the victim they still suffer the same effects. There is no proportion for how the victim feels after being abused, once an adult does that to a child they have re-programmed that childs brain and from that moment forward that childs whole life will be completely changed to how it should have been.

Go and read this childs victim impact statement and you will see the devastating effect it has had on her life. She will never be the same person again because of this scumbag and I really dont know how you can have sympathy for someone who did that to another human being. What he did is the lowest of the low and he deserves everything coming to him.

A thousand times this!!! You said you feel sympathy for his victim?
    But you also feel sympathy for him? He brought this on himself, he deserves everything he gets and more

Muahahaha wrote: »

Another lecture. Nobody condoned his behavior - I totally condemned it. I feel
    Pity for the miserable existence he is left to endure for the rest of his life.

That’s all. I am not asking for him to be granted the freedom of the city or anything.

The effect on his victim is absolutely appalling.

A thousand times this!!! You said you feel sympathy for his victim?
    But you also feel sympathy for him? He brought this on himself, he deserves everything he gets and more

120 million times even!!!!!!
    Spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I do have sympathy for him in that he has lost his wife, his family, his job, his career, his home, his freedom, (probably) his country, his reputation and any respect in society.
    That is devastating beyond my comprehension. His life is beyond repair.

If you think it's harsh that he lost all that, what from the above do you think he shouldn't lose for what he done?

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you think it's harsh that he lost all that, what from the above do you think he shouldn't lose for what he done?

I must not be explaining my point of view correctly. I do NOT condone what he did. I do NOT want him to escape proportional punishment for his crimes. I do NOT believe there are any mitigating circumstances.

I feel pity for the wretch. His life is over.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for the girl as everyone deserves to have their sexual awakening to be something free from abuse, her wasn't and so of course she deserves empathy in that regard.

However, I see nothing wrong with someone also having empathy for a guy who tried to take his own life twice while hospitalized.

We're not talking about an Ian Huntley here. People need to have a little perspective.

I have seen threads on Boards where women have had much more sexual interactions with 14 year olds (and younger) than was the case here and you never see anything close to the kind of animosity that we have seen on display here.

Advertisement