Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is the naturally formed Serpent's Lair on Inis Mór almost a perfect rectangle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't find anything specific on it, looking at the images from further away it looks like the rock is breaking away in flat chucks to create steps. It actually looks a lot like the structures under water near Japan that ancient civilization proponents say are man made cities. I'd say it's a common form of limestone erosion.

Looking it up I found out that Dún Aonghasa was actually built in 1100bc, that's nuts I didn't realise it was that old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Regardless of whether man had a hand in its creation or it's a natural form of erosion, it's incredible that such a thing exists. I still think those lads who do the Red Bull diving into it need their heads examined though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bK80y0DjgOE/VEjnzN9qlbI/AAAAAAAAB0M/6M0NqxPmtNk/s1600/joint3.gif

Limestone can be a brittle rock and when folded it basically forms cracks known as joints.... and where a set of joints intersect at 90 degrees..... and where you get coastal and chemical erosion from underneath.... and when you give Mother Nature enough time.... then you can get the type of hole seen on Inis Mór. It's a class spot.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

jkforde wrote: »
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bK80y0DjgOE/VEjnzN9qlbI/AAAAAAAAB0M/6M0NqxPmtNk/s1600/joint3.gif

Limestone can be a brittle rock and when folded it basically forms cracks known as joints.... and where a set of joints intersect at 90 degrees..... and where you get coastal and chemical erosion from underneath.... and when you give Mother Nature enough time.... then you can get the type of hole seen on Inis Mór. It's a class spot.

good info, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Would be curious are there other examples here or abroad of same phenomenon making unusually rectilinear/parallel forms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

104700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

104700.jpg

But how did the aliens get there? Huh?!

Advertisement