Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trying to deduct from Deposit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The LL should have allowed you resonable time to come back and clean the place.

At this point I'd go halfs on the cleaning, it's not your fault he over paid.

Tell him you mattress is as you found it. FYI a good double is about 200 + 40 to take away the old one. You should see most of your deposit.

Tell him you aren't accepting responsibility for the mattress, give him an AC number to pay into and see what happens. If he made a small deduction then leave it. If he's taken to much email him asking for the money or receipts to prove he spent it. Tell him the next step is the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ManUnited123

All sorted. I told him i would contact the RTB, he didn't reply to me then and i went on RTB's website and filed a dispute. Meanwhile he replied back to me that okay fine i'll return your full deposit, give me your account details !!!!

FFS.. He was indeed trying to pull a quick one here. If i had budged, he was ready to take away 500 from my deposit but now he's taking nothing !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

All sorted. I told him i would contact the RTB, he didn't reply to me then and i went on RTB's website and filed a dispute. Meanwhile he replied back to me that okay fine i'll return your full deposit, give me your account details !!!!

FFS.. He was indeed trying to pull a quick one here. If i had budged, he was ready to take away 500 from my deposit but now he's taking nothing !

And another tenancy ends with no deposit dispute. Good for the statistics.

Surprising he didn't take you up on the offer to go back and clean the kitchen cabinets in fairness. If you were willing to do it why not get you to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I suspect you got lucky that the LL didn't get a receipt from the cleaner, probably paid cash. You left the place dirty so you also tried to pull a quick one on the LL, neither side is blameless here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The LL should have allowed you resonable time to come back and clean the place.

Cognisant of the fact that the dispute is now resolved- why do you reckon the landlord should allow the tenant back into the property to clean it, after the tenancy has ended?

Once the tenant has vacated the property, and is no longer paying rent- they no longer should have access to the property- without any exception.

I'm not sure where you're coming from- with your suggestion that the landlord should allow a tenant (any tenant) back in to do proper cleaning- once they've left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Cognisant of the fact that the dispute is now resolved- why do you reckon the landlord should allow the tenant back into the property to clean it, after the tenancy has ended?

Once the tenant has vacated the property, and is no longer paying rent- they no longer should have access to the property- without any exception.

I'm not sure where you're coming from- with your suggestion that the landlord should allow a tenant (any tenant) back in to do proper cleaning- once they've left?
    I don't see what would be wrong with that? If it's in agreement with both, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

davo10 wrote:
    I suspect you got lucky that the LL didn't get a receipt from the cleaner, probably paid cash. You left the place dirty so you also tried to pull a quick one on the LL, neither side is blameless here.

It doesn't matter. He wouldn't have been able to charge 2-300 euro anyway.

That would cover an entire deep clean of the place which the tenant is not responsible for

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ManUnited123

davo10 wrote: »

He got receipt from the cleaner and it was a full deep clean of the whole apartment costing €200 whereas he had only complained about the kitchen cabinets. He was most likely using that as an excuse to get the whole apartment deep cleaned from the deposit.

I didn't leave the place dirty, it was just a few cabinets which were. And if i show you the pictures, you'd see they weren't that dirty which would warrant a deep clean of the whole apartment !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

He got receipt from the cleaner and it was a full deep clean of the whole apartment costing €200 whereas he had only complained about the kitchen cabinets. He was most likely using that as an excuse to get the whole apartment deep cleaned from the deposit.

I didn't leave the place dirty, it was just a few cabinets which were. And if i show you the pictures, you'd see they weren't that dirty which would warrant a deep clean of the whole apartment !

Anyhow- its a tax deductible expense for the landlord.
    As all is well that ends well- I propose to close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement